Thread: midi to usb for dtxplorer

User Info Menu

Default connecting e-kit to laptop on modules with midi out only

I was interested in hooking my kit up to my laptop, but all of the midi to usb cables i see have input and an output wire. my xplorer only has midi out. Will this cable work?, and if not what do i need to connect it properly? There are alot of tuturials online about setting up vst's and mapping,but no one ever says how to physically connect the drum kit to a laptop. What hardware,cables,ect. Someone has got to know this info. Thanks for any info in advance!
    Last edited by DTX72; 01-23-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: more specific

User Info Menu

Default Re: midi to usb for dtxplorer

You need to plug the MIDI out of your eDrum module to an Audio Interface that will except MIDI in and then convert it to USB
    or Firewire that you connect to your computer. If your Drum Module had USB then you would not need the MIDI converter.
    MAudio has several budget Audio/MIDI Interfaces that will work fine. You will also need the proper Audio/MIDI drivers for your computer.
    Most likely your drum module only excepts MIDI out not MIDI in so if you have the cable already just use the Out.
    Last edited by mdee; 01-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is how I connect my DTV520 kit to my PC.

The MIDI out of the brain goes into the MIDI In on my Focusrite Saffire 10.
    The saffire10 connects to my PC via a firewire. The Focusrite Saffire costs a bit. It is the interface between the PC and the brain.

Now on the PC you will need some sequencing software. I use Sonar X1.

This is just my setup.

The interface portion can be extremely expensive and depends on your budget and what you intend to do with it. For example the Saffire mentioned above also has audio inputs on it for plugging in microphones or guitars etc. It also has MIDI in and out. It is firewire connected to PC. This works well and records all the drums on separate tracks.

I did a quick search and found a MIDI to USB interface for $10 on Sears - in no way am I recommending this but I believe it would work to get signal from DTX into the laptop. But you will still need some sequencing software on the laptop to capture the MIDI in for processing (editting, applying soft synth etc).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I just want to use it for triggering ezdrummer and such.

User Info Menu

That's how it's done.
    1st - Hook up the Drum module to your computer Midi - USB
    2nd - Make sure the correct drivers are installed
    3rd - Open your Audio recording Software
    4th - Open instance of ez Drummer inside your Audio Software to trigger