Thread: throne mishap

User Info Menu

Default throne mishap

Pearl makes some great hardware. Currently using the 900 snare stand. With that out of the way I had a problem with my cheapie Pearl throne that I bought awhile back.

Halfway through the last song of the set I'm noticing getting closer to the snare then reaching a little further for cymbals then finding mysely trying to balance the throne without the legs on the floor! wobbling in every direction close to falling off a couple of times.

It was pretty funny to me except when I almost completely lost balance those two times. Kept telling myself to hold on the song is almost over, like counting seconds!. The legs were totally going the other way with only the center tube on the floor.

In the market for a good throne now, in the meantime I'm going to bring my Tama out of retirement.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: throne mishap

Sounds like the leg lock slipped. Tighten it up more and see what happens. I have a cheapo Pearl too and this has never happened mind you I only use it for playing guitar cause I bought a new R&S throne just for the comfort not that there is anything wrong with the Pearl just was time for a better ride LOL

User Info Menu

Reminds me of a time when the two front bolts holding the seat onto the base of the cheap throne I was on stripped and I had everything I could do not to go over backwards. Thank goodness the back two were still holding a little as they were also starting to pull out. If you like round "traditional" thrones and are looking for something sturdy and comfortable check out the Pork Pie Round or if you like the saddle styles, Pork Pie Big Boy. Roc-N-Soc makes a sweet throne also. I personally like the Roc-N-Soc. There are a couple of threads on here, one about the Pork Pie and one about the Roc-N-Soc. Good luck with your search and glad you able to finish the song and didn't get hurt.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Take a look at the Carmichael throne. Don't know if you have back or rear end problems, but if you do, this would be the throne to help.

User Info Menu

Roc-N-Soc FTW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Roc-N-Soc FTW
    Well said.

User Info Menu

The Pork Pie round throne is absolutely amazing. If you like stability, AND insane comfort, then go with the Pork Pie. I just bought one a few weeks ago. You can sit on it for hours and at the end of the set you won't want to stand up because it's so comfortable.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewing59 View Post
    Take a look at the Carmichael throne. Don't know if you have back or rear end problems, but if you do, this would be the throne to help.
    I realize this is slightly off topic in this thread but wanted to thank you for posting this. I looked into the Carmichael throne and it looks and sounds great. I emailed them for more info.

Getting back to the topic, I love my Roc-N-Soc but I hear Pork Pie makes nice thrones also.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG