Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic to Electric

User Info Menu

Exclamation Acoustic to Electric

Hi,

I've got a question.
    Is it possible to put Mesh Heads on Acoustic Drums, trigger them with Roland Triggers and connect them to a Roland TD9 Sound Module?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic to Electric

i dont see why not--it appears roland triggers are $$$$ however, but appear to be good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVanRillaer View Post
    Hi,

I've got a question.
    Is it possible to put Mesh Heads on Acoustic Drums, trigger them with Roland Triggers and connect them to a Roland TD9 Sound Module?
    For about two years, that is what I was playing on....an acoustic Sonor kit, converted to E-drums.

It worked great for "quiet" practice, but I really missed the feel and sounds of an acoustic kit.

There is alot of info on the net for A-E conversion. Hit me up if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help with what I can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    For about two years, that is what I was playing on....an acoustic Sonor kit, converted to E-drums.

It worked great for "quiet" practice, but I really missed the feel and sounds of an acoustic kit.

There is alot of info on the net for A-E conversion. Hit me up if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help with what I can.
    What Triggers and what Sound Module did you use?

User Info Menu

What Triggers and what Sound Module did you use?
    I used DIY cone-type triggers and a Roland TD-6

User Info Menu

I've been toying with the idea on my older Tama kit using the laptop and Addictive Drums, which I have already. Cymbals is the bigger issue in terms of replacing all the cymbals with cymbal pads. Can get pricey, which is why it's on hold for me.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I use a hybrid electronic acoustic kit with one of the bands I do shows with.

Entry level Mapex so as not to worry about damaging bearing edges of a top line Mapex kit.

I worked my way through Roland's modules over the years ending at the TD-20, but now 2Box far out reach Roland.
    Real sampled acoustic kits in a module run off Roland RT triggers (2Box have just launched their own at NAMM)

Depending on how you plan you use your kit, I can help with plenty of advice based on my live shows, just let me know.

I did this to showcase the 2Box sounds when I first got the module, sorry it's not a video, but you can see the kit and hear how it plays.

Hope it helps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonxR2Vzojc"]2Box DrumIt 5 Module With A Hybrid Kit - Video 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Cuban; 01-24-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

there's soem threads on here somewhere about converted acoustic kits.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I've been toying with the idea on my older Tama kit using the laptop and Addictive Drums, which I have already. Cymbals is the bigger issue in terms of replacing all the cymbals with cymbal pads. Can get pricey, which is why it's on hold for me.
    ..yeah, cymbals are the hardest part. They can be extremely expensive and no matter how much you spend, IMO, the feel is not there. I picked up a complete set of Pintech Visulite cymbals for under $400, they were ok, but still missed my Zildjians.

User Info Menu

I'm going to keep my acoustic cymbals and only replace the drums

User Info Menu

I'm going to keep my acoustic cymbals and only replace the drums
    Sounds great...the only limiting factor is if you need to practice quietly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Sounds great...the only limiting factor is if you need to practice quietly.
    It ain't for that reason that I'm going to make my acoustic electric. I just want to have a nicer sound out of my drums. I can't get a decent sound out of my Pearl Session Series, they're from 1996..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    I use a hybrid electronic acoustic kit with one of the bands I do shows with.

Entry level Mapex so as not to worry about damaging bearing edges of a top line Mapex kit.

I worked my way through Roland's modules over the years ending at the TD-20, but now 2Box far out reach Roland.
    Real sampled acoustic kits in a module run off Roland RT triggers (2Box have just launched their own at NAMM)

Depending on how you plan you use your kit, I can help with plenty of advice based on my live shows, just let me know.

I did this to showcase the 2Box sounds when I first got the module, sorry it's not a video, but you can see the kit and hear how it plays.

Hope it helps.

2Box DrumIt 5 Module With A Hybrid Kit - Video 2 - YouTube
    Never heard of the 2box....what do they run?

User Info Menu

Roland triggers are ridiculously expensive, and generally the only real point of buying an expensive trigger is when you need dual zone capability. You can get 5 drumdial triggers for approx $70 that do the same thing, and just as efficiently. Mesh heads will work on acoustic drums, but take some of the acoustic feel away from your drumset imo. You also have to be careful about scratching up your bearing edges with mesh, so I prefer to use Remo Muff'l sound controls instead. For cymbals I use percussion plus cymbal mutes with triggers taped underneath(this is far more cost effective than buying rubber e-cymbals, and they feel better too). You can also use cut-up mousepads for muting cymbals. You then need cables(1/4"), headphones or an amp, a module, and a hi hat controller(such as an alesis realhat).
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Acoustic to Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Roland triggers are ridiculously expensive, and generally the only real point of buying an expensive trigger is when you need dual zone capability. You can get 5 drumdial triggers for approx $70 that do the same thing, and just as efficiently. Mesh heads will work on acoustic drums, but take some of the acoustic feel away from your drumset imo. You also have to be careful about scratching up your bearing edges with mesh, so I prefer to use Remo Muff'l sound controls instead. For cymbals I use percussion plus cymbal mutes with triggers taped underneath(this is far more cost effective than buying rubber e-cymbals, and they feel better too). You can also use cut-up mousepads for muting cymbals. You then need cables(1/4"), headphones or an amp, a module, and a hi hat controller(such as an alesis realhat).
    Well said Russ just learned something today on triggers and e-kit tranformation

User Info Menu

If I ever get around to scooping an e-drum set, I believe I'll just stay with real cymbals because after all cymbals are cymbals. It's usually the drums that over power in low level gig situations.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    If I ever get around to scooping an e-drum set, I believe I'll just stay with real cymbals because after all cymbals are cymbals. It's usually the drums that over power in low level gig situations.

all the best...
    Won't work in a low noise situation though. I've noticed a lot of the draw towards electronics stems from things like neighbors, roommates, family members etc. Playing at certain hours isn't possible because you might live in a dorm, conflicting sleep schedules, peacelovers, things to that nature. I think with using live cymbals and triggered drums in a group setting, the issue falls on how well the drums are amplified to compete with the high decibels that cymbals make. If you take drum and cymbal sounds being made two different ways such as acoustic and electronic, it can become something of a challenge to equalize the levels vs both sounds being made the same way. Also, you won't notice if you're using headphones quite as much, but to anyone listening all they will hear is cymbals continually banging away unless you're using an amp and it's volume matches up with the cymbals'.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...kit-25291.html
    The project is done, this is how it ended up. Check it out!

User Info Menu

Looks great

User Info Menu

Pearl makes a product called the Tru Trac - essentially they are heads with built-in triggers designed to be used with an acoustic kit to turn it into an electronic kit. Kind of costly at $1000, but it would get the job done.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

They're way too expensive for me, and I don't think you can use a Roland Module with the Tru-Trac heads. I'll stick with mesh heads, they're much cheaper.

User Info Menu

Russ this sounds like just what I want to do. I’m a very novice drummer and I need this conversion so I can practice without driving the family nuts. I am operating on a very low budget. I don’t high quality just something that works. What module would you recommend? I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles. But I don’t junk either. Just simple.
    Thanks for your help
    Brad

User Info Menu

I was referring to your #15 post.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I am in the middle of my build, my heads have just shipped so I should get things powered up in the next week. Right now I am using a Roland TD-10 module, I've priced out a 2box module only, in Canada I'm looking at $1100. Right now I use the Roland cy8s that came with my original kit, I'll be swapping those for some of the Yamaha's, they are much more reliable and cheaper. It's deceiving how much a "dyi" a to e conversion can cost. You really have to do your research first and set a budget.