Thread: Tuning a 26" kick

User Info Menu

Default Tuning a 26" kick

I recently purchased a Tama Starclassic Performer with a 16" X 26" bass drum and am having difficulty tuning it. It came equipped with an Evans EQ4 batter and an ebony resonant head. To get the action I want, I purchased a Remo Powerstroke 3 ebony resonant and put an 6" offset hole in the head. I also got an Aquarian Superkick II batter. With the original heads I wasn't getting the deep sound I was looking for and without the port in the head, I was having difficulty controlling the pedal. The current head combination gives me a rather high pitched, attack heavy sound. The Superkick II has to be tensioned rather tightly to get a tone. I've also tried a coated Emperor batter with the same results. I know I'll sacrifice some low end once I put a hole in the head but I need some way to let the air escape. Maybe an EQ2resonant? I'm trying to get a low, deep, round, cavernous sound with the AKG D112 mic. I've tried placing the mic inside, just outside the hole facing inward, a few inches from the front of the head, and several inches in front of the head with no luck. Is this a common characteristic with 26" drums? I don't use any muffling other than the heads. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Wow, I've never actually heard anybody use a 26" before. I always thought you either take 22" or 24" and if you were weird (no offense :D) you would take a higher or lower than that size.

But I think you may want to chuck a pillow in the bass drum. If it doesn't help I would suggest coming back telling us .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Wow, I've never actually heard anybody use a 26" before.
    apparently youve never heard of man by the name of John Bonham then?

anyways, if you get the head tuned correctly, which im sure you know how to do. Try taking one, or 2 folded up pillow cases or cloth's and laying them inside your bass drum, they should subtly take away the biggest overtones, and leave u with a deep punchy kick. Try that and see how it works

User Info Menu

my music store had a bunch of 20" floor tom skins, and barley any 22". i was beggining to think that 20" bass drum was the norm O.O lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice View Post
    apparently youve never heard of man by the name of John Bonham then?
    Totally forgot about him. I feel bad now .

User Info Menu

26 is serious stuff. I dont know what to do but i just had to read the posts about it :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters