Thread: Which drum kit?

User Info Menu

Default Which drum kit?

Hey everyone, it's been a while...

Basically, I've been saving up a bunch of money recently in order to upgrade my drum kit. I've had a Mapex beginner's kit for over 6 years even though I'm about to sit my Grade 5 percussion exam. Unfortunately, it's falling apart, so it's time to upgrade.

I've been looking at various kits on the internet and the Gretsch Catalina line has caught my attention, however from the reviews I've seen of it it's still very much a "low-pro" kit (especially when I saw a thread where someone bought their 9 year old kid a set). My intentions are to purchase a truly professional drum kit which is under £1200, which may be hard, but I"m sure that it's possible.

For reference's sake, I play lots of R&B as well as Rock - I'm looking for a punchy low tone on the toms/bass drum and a tight crack on the snare drum. In order to achieve this, I'm assuming that a drum kit made out of Maple is the way to go.

So, I need your help. I'm only really looking for Gretsch, TAMA, Ddrum or DW kits.

Thanks guys
    Vic Firth Hickory Classic 5A... Always
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Big Dog Double Bass Pedal
    Mapex V Series

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which drum kit?

Tama Silverstar is where I'd start...but they are birch, not maple. I'm not sure what your budget is in USD so I can't really recommend others.

User Info Menu

Ok...looks like that's about 1800 USD. Your budget will allow for a really nice kit. Do you also need hardware and cymbals? I'd look for a used Starclassic maple...but it might take a while to track one down at that price.

User Info Menu

I have been playing for many years, got my first kit in 1964, a 4 piece Slingerland. I have owned 2 Slingerland’s, Pearl, Tama, 2 Gretsch, and Sonor. I have found them all to be great drums but right now my show kit is a 6 piece Gretsch Catalina second generation Maple kit. I got this kit back in Aug. and it is one of the best kits I have owned. I currently own the Cat Maple, a first generation Cat Birch, and my Sonor Force 3007’s. The Catalina Maples should serve you well if you go that route. If you are looking to upgrade from the mid level kits take a look at the Gretsch Renown’s. If they offered this kit with a tom mount platform on the bass drum I would have one.

Oh yea Two jobs at bars this weekend and the Cat Maples are sounding great.

In all serious go to a store and play several kits before spending your money.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Here's how I'd do. First ask yourself some question.

1. What do I want to buy? Are we talking just a shell kit; shells and a snare, all the above with new hardware. cymbals... That will go a long way towards narrowing your options.

2. Let's assume you want a shell pack and a snare. If it was me, I'd take maybe 25% of your budget for the snare and make that a seperate purchase. Your bass and toms should be bought together.

3. For the shell pack, how many drums do you want. A 3 piece (bass, high tom, floor tom) costs a lot less than say a 5 piece (bass, 2 high toms, 2 floors).

4. Begin looking at different brands in your price range, size and number of drums preferences. Find something you like the looks of. You mentioned the Gretsch Catalina. Good set of drums, don't worry about the "pro/intermediate..." moniker. Anything in the mid/pro range are nice and most likely will sound great tuned.

5. If you can, try out what you like. If not, read lots of reviews. If you find a set that meet your needs, fits your budget and looks good, buy them. If you can try them, cool; if not, read reviews or bring specific models/configs here for info.

6. Snares are fine to buy with a kit, but many drummers prefer a unique snare sound and often end up not using of selling the stock snare. Snares are hard to suggest; my best recomendatio there would be to try before you buy.

*** - Many people recomend used drum kits. I like the concept, but there are as many lemons as good deals out there. If you are a seasoned veteran and really know your brands, models and the inside/out of drum construction, go for it. However, in my younger days, I bought a couple of used sets that looked nice on the outside, but had countless issues after I had them for some time. Most people aren't selling drums at great deals because they like to take a loss.

User Info Menu

Just one more thing. If you got £1200 to spend and everything you own is currently entry level (hardware, cymbals, drums, throne...), don't spend it all on shells alone. I'd rather have an alla round nice mid level kit (everything) than a really nice set of shells and lousy cybmals/hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJim View Post
    Just one more thing. If you got £1200 to spend and everything you own is currently entry level (hardware, cymbals, drums, throne...), don't spend it all on shells alone. I'd rather have an alla round nice mid level kit (everything) than a really nice set of shells and lousy cybmals/hardware.
    Thank you for your advice; very useful, I think I'll go down the -snare route. It's going to be so expensive though with buying the hardware and not, I think that I'm going to have to stretch my budget a bit...

Do you have any websites/shops that you recommend? I'm not sure where to start really.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Mapex V Series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Justin122 View Post
    Hey everyone, it's been a while...

I've been looking at various kits on the internet and the Gretsch Catalina line has caught my attention, however from the reviews I've seen of it it's still very much a "low-pro" kit (especially when I saw a thread where someone bought their 9 year old kid a set). My intentions are to purchase a truly professional drum kit which is under £1200, which may be hard, but I"m sure that it's possible.

Thanks guys
    hey justin
    the 9 year old kid thread might be mine. I bought my son a new cat maple 6 piece for xmas when he was 11. I know thats alot of drums for a kid just starting out but my reasoning behind the descision was if he didn't stay with them I would probably keep them for myself. a year later he is still going strong and taking very good care of them and he wont have to do a upgrade for a long time. so in short they are not beginner drums by any means they are at least a mid range kit that I would easily be happy with and I have a old pearl masters set. hope this helps you out. also you could look into sabian xs20 cymbals they are not expensive and sound great

User Info Menu

I see that you mentioned ddrum. I own a ddrum dios maple kit, and it's fantastic! With your budget you can get some nice drums. I only mention the dios cuz I have one , and can say that they are pretty rad! All the lugs are tube lugs, and it looks sick! Not to mention it sounds great.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJim View Post
    Here's how I'd do. First ask yourself some question.

1. What do I want to buy? Are we talking just a shell kit; shells and a snare, all the above with new hardware. cymbals... That will go a long way towards narrowing your options.

2. Let's assume you want a shell pack and a snare. If it was me, I'd take maybe 25% of your budget for the snare and make that a seperate purchase. Your bass and toms should be bought together.

3. For the shell pack, how many drums do you want. A 3 piece (bass, high tom, floor tom) costs a lot less than say a 5 piece (bass, 2 high toms, 2 floors).

4. Begin looking at different brands in your price range, size and number of drums preferences. Find something you like the looks of. You mentioned the Gretsch Catalina. Good set of drums, don't worry about the "pro/intermediate..." moniker. Anything in the mid/pro range are nice and most likely will sound great tuned.

5. If you can, try out what you like. If not, read lots of reviews. If you find a set that meet your needs, fits your budget and looks good, buy them. If you can try them, cool; if not, read reviews or bring specific models/configs here for info.

6. Snares are fine to buy with a kit, but many drummers prefer a unique snare sound and often end up not using of selling the stock snare. Snares are hard to suggest; my best recomendatio there would be to try before you buy.

*** - Many people recomend used drum kits. I like the concept, but there are as many lemons as good deals out there. If you are a seasoned veteran and really know your brands, models and the inside/out of drum construction, go for it. However, in my younger days, I bought a couple of used sets that looked nice on the outside, but had countless issues after I had them for some time. Most people aren't selling drums at great deals because they like to take a loss.
    Good advice. I would also suggest buying used if you have a limited budget and want a good quality kit and hardware. Many times you can get hardware and cymbals along with the shells (in other words, a complete package). There are many fantastic used kits out there for far less than the same kit new. I'm sure you could find a used "pro" or "intermediate" level kit for your budget where the same kit new may be out of your budget. JimboJim also brings up a good point; many manufacturers will label certain drums in their lines as pro or intermediate, and there is some relevance to this, but once you get into quality drums it really doesn't make too much of a difference, if you put on good heads and tune them properly.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    good advice. I would also suggest buying used if you have a limited budget and want a good quality kit and hardware. Many times you can get hardware and cymbals along with the shells (in other words, a complete package). There are many fantastic used kits out there for far less than the same kit new. I'm sure you could find a used "pro" or "intermediate" level kit for your budget where the same kit new may be out of your budget. Jimbojim also brings up a good point; many manufacturers will label certain drums in their lines as pro or intermediate, and there is some relevance to this, but once you get into quality drums it really doesn't make too much of a difference, if you put on good heads and tune them properly.
    +1
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for all your help so far guys, I forgot how great this forum was

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Good advice. I would also suggest buying used if you have a limited budget and want a good quality kit and hardware. Many times you can get hardware and cymbals along with the shells (in other words, a complete package). There are many fantastic used kits out there for far less than the same kit new. I'm sure you could find a used "pro" or "intermediate" level kit for your budget where the same kit new may be out of your budget. JimboJim also brings up a good point; many manufacturers will label certain drums in their lines as pro or intermediate, and there is some relevance to this, but once you get into quality drums it really doesn't make too much of a difference, if you put on good heads and tune them properly.
    Very good point, I guess I'm just struggling to find a kit - I'm pretty sure that I want the full package (hardware and shells) due mainly to the fact that I'm a lazy b*****d and don't want to research into tom holders and stuff, however if it comes without a snare then it's alright as I'm definitely a snare head

So, what are the best fully-packaged drums (or -snare packages) around, based on the makes I've mentioned in my OP?
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Mapex V Series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2gsmackfans View Post
    hey justin
    the 9 year old kid thread might be mine. I bought my son a new cat maple 6 piece for xmas when he was 11. I know thats alot of drums for a kid just starting out but my reasoning behind the descision was if he didn't stay with them I would probably keep them for myself. a year later he is still going strong and taking very good care of them and he wont have to do a upgrade for a long time. so in short they are not beginner drums by any means they are at least a mid range kit that I would easily be happy with and I have a old pearl masters set. hope this helps you out. also you could look into sabian xs20 cymbals they are not expensive and sound great
    I never meant to sound hateful to you bro, the Cats are great sounding drums and you must be a great dad to get your child such a great kit! it's definitely a great way to motivate a kid into a drum career
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Mapex V Series

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for all your help so far guys, I forgot how great this forum was

Very good point, I guess I'm just struggling to find a kit - I'm pretty sure that I want the full package (hardware and shells) due mainly to the fact that I'm a lazy b*****d and don't want to research into tom holders and stuff, however if it comes without a snare then it's alright as I'm definitely a snare head

So, what are the best fully-packaged drums (or -snare packages) around, based on the makes I've mentioned in my OP?
    To get a fully packaged set and stay within your budget you will most likely have to buy used. I am a Tama and Gretsch guy all the way (just my personal preference) but DW makes a nice drum also. I can't say much about DW as I do not play one. Maple shells have a nice tone and a warm sound with a good attack and tend to bring out the lows a little more than birch. Birch have a more punchy attack and a bit more sharpness to them and project very well (but they too have a good low end response although maybe not quite as much as the maple). It takes a good, trained ear to really tell the difference between the maple and birch if they have good heads and are tuned properly (not saying there isn't a difference just takes a good ear to hear it). So as far as wood it's personal preference. One is not any better than the other. Both maple and birch are great timbres. Just depends on the sound YOU want. There are a lot of good things about both Tama and Gretsch and based on personal experience (owning and playing both) I really like them. Tama only makes maple in their starclassic line (which is Tama's hi-end or "pro" series). Their mid-line series is the silverstar which is offered in birch (a fantastic "mid-line" kit). Gretsch makes the catalinas is both birch and maple (an advantage for someone looking for a "mid-line" with a choice in woods). The hardware on both is quality and sharp looking. Again, don't worry about the different levels of the lines. You are upgrading from what you have and like I and others have stated, when you get into quality lines and manufacturers you will like the sound and the wood. Several factors come into play. To stay within your budget with the kits you are looking for your best option is getting used (a new 5 piece Gretsch Cat. can go for +/- $700 and when you add good cymbals and stands that adds up). Another factor is how big of a kit do you want and what size drums? Take some time and look on the internet (ebay, craigslist, Guitar Center's used drums for example) and talk to your local drum/music shop owner and ask a lot of questions. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 01-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Had another thought that slipped me as I was writing earlier. I saw a new 5 piece Gretsch Catalina Birch (shells only) in silver sparkle lacquer in my local drum shop Saturday. Price tag on that is $649.00.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

I never meant to sound hateful to you bro, the Cats are great sounding drums and you must be a great dad to get your child such a great kit! it's definitely a great way to motivate a kid into a drum career
    hey justin122
    thanks for the compliment !! I never thought you were being hateful. never took it that way sorry if you thought I was mad or something.
    I was just trying to clear that up and did not want you to think the drums were junk cause a kid gets a set. I would not want you to dismiss the drums off and miss out on a great set.

User Info Menu

I'm just going to chime in again about cymbals. If you need cymbals, you are better off buying a mid-range kit like the Cat Maples, Tama Silverstars, etc... with some decent hardware and decent cymbals (as someone mentioned XS20's are a great affordable option). I don't know what prices are like in the UK, but you should be able to get a decent hardware pack for about $300 US. I like Mapex and Tama hardware personally.

You will notice more of a difference in sound between garbage and decent cymbals than between Tama Silverstars and Tama Starclassics, for example.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I'm just going to chime in again about cymbals. If you need cymbals, you are better off buying a mid-range kit like the Cat Maples, Tama Silverstars, etc... with some decent hardware and decent cymbals (as someone mentioned XS20's are a great affordable option). I don't know what prices are like in the UK, but you should be able to get a decent hardware pack for about $300 US. I like Mapex and Tama hardware personally.

You will notice more of a difference in sound between garbage and decent cymbals than between Tama Silverstars and Tama Starclassics, for example.
    If that pun was intentional, then I take my hat off to you.

And yes, I guess this is the case; unfortunately though, cymbals are NOT cheap in the UK. It costs around £200-£250 just for a K Custom ride, and unfortunately I don't think that the XS20's are sold overseas.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Mapex V Series