Thread: Bass Rebound

User Info Menu

Default Bass Rebound

I've noticed lately after I replaced my old bass batter that I'm getting way too much rebound. As an example, everytime I use the kick pretty much it sounds like a sloppy double.
    I think it's because I didn't tune the batter correctly, but I'm just making sure. How do I reduce the rebound I get?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

What do you mena by "rebound"? Based on how you described the sound, my guess would be that yuur batter head isn't tight enough, BUT that wouldn't give you any rebound in your pedal though.....

Did you touch the resonant head? Did your pedal/s lost a setting ro something when you pulled it all apart. Depending on the "rebound" your talking about I can't be of much help, sorry. maybe someone else
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that you should probably tune both sides a little tighter.

User Info Menu

Maybe look at your kick peddle? Get rid of the wobble out of it.... And dont hold your foot down...

Then again if your skin rebounds back against the depressed beater... Its wayyyy to lose.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I've looked at the heads and I think I just have a crappy pedal. It's a PDP 402 and was a pain since I got it. To describe it a little better, whenever I use the pedal, it usually bounces back really quick and shakes, like my foot feels nervous when it's not. You know? lol

User Info Menu

lower the tension on the spring in your pedal.

User Info Menu

How exactly do I do that? lol
    I've tried finding some tension device on my pedal but can't so far.

User Info Menu

on the left and right of the of the beaters on pedal there are 2 springs (the 402 is a double pedal right? This is what causes the beater to spring back as your foot comes off the pedal. On the bottom side of the pedals are nuts you can turn with your finger (note they are not hex nuts so the are perfectly round with little ridges in em). Losen these and you will losen the spring tension. The one on the right will effect the beater on the right and the one on the left will do the left one.

User Info Menu

make sure u use the felt beater side..it will be less bouncy

User Info Menu

not really. I use a wood beater and there's no major noticable difference in the rebound from a felt beater.

User Info Menu

theres is for me..between felt and plastic

User Info Menu

Is it the compressed felt hammer or beater? Just incase your thinking of something else :P....

There could be a chance you just over tensioned the springs from the start and that could ruin your bounce. It took me a couple of peddles to work that one out :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I've looked at the heads and I think I just have a crappy pedal. It's a PDP 402 and was a pain since I got it. To describe it a little better, whenever I use the pedal, it usually bounces back really quick and shakes, like my foot feels nervous when it's not. You know? lol
    Yes I know exactly what you mean as I am suffering that at the moment. Did you manage to fix the problem 32nd? What was the solution? I read some replies suggesting the spring on the pedals may be too tight. How about if they are too loose? Could that result in the same problem?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Yes I know exactly what you mean as I am suffering that at the moment. Did you manage to fix the problem 32nd? What was the solution? I read some replies suggesting the spring on the pedals may be too tight. How about if they are too loose? Could that result in the same problem?
    Well the tension springs did turn out to be the overall problem with the exception of a few small issues which I believe created that crappy rebound I mentioned. After toying around with it as much as I felt like, I discovered that, yes, there was a problem created while they were too loose. The first was that after I loosened them to where it felt the least resistant, after a few beats the spring would actually fall out, which could be different with other pedals idk. The second was that while there was too little resistance, the pedal would actually hit my leg, and that again I guess could change between pedals.
    To resolve the problem, I finally said screw it and realized that no matter what I did, I wasn't going to get my desired result because PDP is cheap lol. Seriously though, I loosened it to where I could play heal up and down with the same accuracy. I also then adjusted how far and high my beaters sat so that I didn't get hit with the garbage while playing. As for the little technical errors, the rod connecting the pedals was kinda loose and the small twisty things (technical term) next to the beaters were down too far from the metal piece (another technical term).
    Just something about Gretsch and PDP I guess lol. I know three people with the same set and hardware, as well as Phil Collins.

User Info Menu

Well, if Phil Collins is in there somewhere, it can't be all bad! Personally, I think that guy is awesome!!! Big time respect from me!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Well the tension springs did turn out to be the overall problem with the exception of a few small issues which I believe created that crappy rebound I mentioned. After toying around with it as much as I felt like, I discovered that, yes, there was a problem created while they were too loose. The first was that after I loosened them to where it felt the least resistant, after a few beats the spring would actually fall out, which could be different with other pedals idk. The second was that while there was too little resistance, the pedal would actually hit my leg, and that again I guess could change between pedals.
    To resolve the problem, I finally said screw it and realized that no matter what I did, I wasn't going to get my desired result because PDP is cheap lol. Seriously though, I loosened it to where I could play heal up and down with the same accuracy. I also then adjusted how far and high my beaters sat so that I didn't get hit with the garbage while playing. As for the little technical errors, the rod connecting the pedals was kinda loose and the small twisty things (technical term) next to the beaters were down too far from the metal piece (another technical term).
    Just something about Gretsch and PDP I guess lol. I know three people with the same set and hardware, as well as Phil Collins.

hmmm ok, so you loosened them further to get rid of the nervous flutter or did you have to tighten them a bit? If i loosen mine anymore they will be too loose. From the post Im understanding that you had to loosen them off more to play heel up and down but then again you could of meant you tightened them a touch but they were still loose enought so you could still play heel up and down comfortably. Either way, thanks for your help and I will fiddle around with mine latter today (when the neighbours are awake lol)