Thread: Using a Cajon live.

User Info Menu

Default Using a Cajon live.

Hi, this is my first post on drum chat, I've been skulking around for a while and decided yesterday it was time for me to create an account and join in

I'm mainly a kit player and don't do a lot of percussion to be honest but me and a couple of my friends from uni started a band not that long ago and we've done a few gigs and recently got 'licensed' by a label whatever that means. But we've been asked by a friend to perform an acoustic gig at a charity fund raiser meal and we thought it would be nice if I used a cajon rather than my kit. I have a cajon that I was given as a leaving present from my parents when I left for uni and I've spent the time learning to play it properly.

I was just wondering what is the best way to mic up the cajon in a live situation?
    Do you personally think that in an acoustic set of covers such as 'Naive' and 'Hey Jude' that the cajon is going to be better than using my kit?

A bit rambally I know, I will try and keep my questions shorter in the future, I just felt I should introduce myself a little :P Thanks!
    "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - unfortunately I am one of them."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using a Cajon live.

Welcome aboard Mrpotaitohead,
    We mic up our cajon with a Shure Beta 52, right in the sound hole. Lately I have added a C2 on the front to catch more of the snares, but it does get in the way. LP has a special mic holder for cajons but is very mic specific. I find the Beta 52 works well for our situation. We run the mic thru a Bose T1 set for the Beta 52 and then into a Bose L1 with two subs. When our percussionist starts playing those low bass notes people take notice. I hope that helps. I have no idea about the tunes you mentioned; however, the cajon works well with brushes especially the Vater Cajon brushes ones.

User Info Menu

Welcome Mr. Po Head! Glad to have you here. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile!

User Info Menu

I use a D112 just behind the sound hole. I've used a SM52 or Beta52 a few times and even a SM57.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Off topic but;
    recently got 'licensed' by a label whatever that means.
    I don't know either, but if someone is signing stuff, FIND OUT!
    Kick drums need deadness Surdos need resonance.
    http://youtu.be/EcF8EpNfMPc

User Info Menu

You can mix up your cajon using some nylon brushes. Work them like you would work wire brushes on your snare.

User Info Menu

I play some acoustic gigs in small pubs and coffee shops where I don't need to mic the cajon or congas. Lately I've been doing a lot of outside "patio" gigs with both acoustic projects and mic placement has gotten more important.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Welcome! I don't own a cajon (yet, but I'm looking into it actually.) However, I've heard to get a REALLLYYY nice mic'd sound you should put a bass-drum (or any condenser mic, you can -db if you'd like a lower bassier sound) in the back port-hole to pick up those bass-y palm and finger hits. Then put another mic (one used more for other drums [ie: snare]) in the front to pick up those direct hits and catch a bit louder snap.

Good luck! if you get any video of the gig be sure to post it. I'd like to see a Cajon in action. Really interested in getting one in the future. Just bought bongos to start building acoustic set.
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^