Thread: "Runner's Knee" or how drumming and my seating position may have screwed my knees

User Info Menu

Default "Runner's Knee" or how drumming and my seating position may have screwed my knees

So I've been having issues lately with my knees, left in particular. Dull ache-y pain on the back of the knee after repetitive use, stairs, and just simply at night. Went to the ortho today to have it checked out. Luckily there are no bone or ligament issues (thank god- thinking ACL/LCL injury), but I do have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, or "runner's knee". Simply put, overuse and possible misalignment of the kneecap has worn down the cartilage.

What's this have to do with drumming you ask? Well, I don't run for starters. Secondly, my legs dance when I play, and I keep time with my left foot/hats ALL THE TIME when I play. Even when I'm playing on a closed hat, the left leg bounces in time. So there's constant motion with both my legs, knees, ankles, etc, but moreso with my left. This explains why the left has been feeling worse.

So now I'm concerned I'm on a slippery slope, and want to do what I can to help prevent further injury/damage. This goes beyond just drumming of course, but I know it's a big factor into causing this issue. Does anyone here suffer from the same thing? If so what have you done to help it? I'd like to look into the ergonomics of my playing and seating position as well- anyone have any pointers for a good place to start?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: "Runner's Knee" or how drumming and my seating position may have screwed my knees

What postition are your legs when you play?

User Info Menu

Default Re: "Runner's Knee" or how drumming and my seating position may have screwed my knees

I'll let you know better after practice tonight, but I thought my thighs were flat/at a 90deg angle to my lower legs.

User Info Menu

Move your stol back slightly. The more you bend your knee the harder it is on your joints.

User Info Menu

I find it interesting that you describe your pain as being at the back of your knee, yet your doc diagnosed patello-femoral pain syndrome. Your patella (or knee cap) is at the front of your knee. Good luck with it.

User Info Menu

I did too, but in my research last night plus what the doc says, this is typical.

In terms of my seating position - I will try to upload the pics tonight, but my thighs are not 90degress like I thought, and I do sit back, with my thighs/legs angled downward. So my knee is less bent than it would be at a 90 degree angle.

User Info Menu

Sometimes knee problems are not diagnosed properly. If the pain is coming from behind the knee that is a symptom of torn or damaged miniscus. Usually there is no discoloration or swelling. If you have lost some range of movement, can't bend it all the way and feels tight or you don't trust it with all your weight. Your ortho should at least scheduled an x-ray and is common to go forward with an MRI. Not all minscus problems require surgery if diagnosed asap.

User Info Menu

My right knee hurts fairly often. Mostly on the inside of my leg....like the left side of my right knee if that makes sense. I just deal with it.

What really hurts is between my thumb and index finger on my left hand.

User Info Menu

I've found that sitting with your legs and knees at a comfortable angle but your right foot splayed(hitting the pedal with your foot across or slightly pointed to the outside) for long periods of time will give you pain on the inner-side of your knee. Oftentimes people sit that way normally, with toes pointed out. But when you're drumming and pivot your foot on your kick pedal and maintain that position, look out!

I've experienced that pain and wondered if I could attach bicycle straps to my pedal! haha! Probably fall over when I change position! Instead I sit at an angle to my kick.

User Info Menu

isurf - xrays were taken and all appeared normal, but we know that the MRI will show more. The doc said it's up to me with the next steps- we can do MRI and more investigation but at this point I was okay with trying the corticalsterioid injection under the kneecap (boy was that a weird sensation). A day later and it is already improved, and supposedly doesn't fully take affect for 72 hours. BTW - no loss in ROM at all.

slinglander - you may be on to something here. My kit is at our practice space so I can't verify, but I need to pay more attention to my foot placement too....

User Info Menu

Being a trucker and a drummer AND kind of a fitness nut, my knees haven't had it all that easy... well with all the gear shifting and kick drum pounding and running. It may sound kinda weird but after i added yoga i've never felt better. It worked for my back and shoulders too. That's just my personal story. (please note: you can do it with the door locked and shades closed if you feel embarassed lol)

User Info Menu

Oh dude that wouldn't embarrass me- in fact I'm glad you bring it up! I recently had an awesome sports therapy massage as a bday gift and the masseuse commented on how tight my hamstrings, quads, forearms, and shoulders were. I've been thinking of a ways to help stretch out, yoga may be the trick. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Yoga, taichi both work great for stretching and relaxing.

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's true or not, but I remember reading somewhere that Terry Bozzio does some sort of yoga to stay limber. Anyone else heard that same thing? I might investigate doing some later on. At the moment my main kind of exercise has just been doing walking and a few stretches, push-ups and sit ups, but that's it. Mind you, I've always been a bit pretty fit for drumming anyway.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Try some stretching before you play for awhile, at least until this goes away. After you play, you might want to take a hot bath. I would also suggest taking breaks and not playing too often, this will give your muscles a chance to loosen and will put you in good standings.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i never had a problem, till i took an arrow to the knee...
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....