Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Up the Kit

User Info Menu

Default Lighting Up the Kit

Here's a picture of the lighting that I'm considering for a Youth event coming up in a couple of weeks:

There's a big red wash lite behind me, and a multicolored light that will be changing to the beat of the beat of the drums. Looking at the pics, I think I will need to angle the multicolored fixture up a little higher.

What do you guys think? Feel free to make suggestions, and thanks in advance for your input.

BTW, this is what I have to use in front of the kit. Normally, I would use 2, but I am already using three to add lighting to the front line guitars/vocalists.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lighting Up the Kit

Id consider the red wash coming from the front and the changing lights behind you.
    Is your red flood a gel or fixed colour? If a gel Id go with a lighter red. Cause with red in front or behind will make you hard to see IMO.

User Info Menu

Lighting drums is fun. What you've done looks nice. I always try to avoid having lighting hit the kick reso head directly. As you can see on your pic, doing that creates a shiny spot and to me is distracting. I like placing uplights to the left and right of the kick about a foot and a half away angle in at about 20 degrees. Have fun experimenting.

User Info Menu

It appears at first visually deceptive....If that is desired, then an intermittant white strobe would add to the excitement.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I almost cried when I saw the title "Lighting Up the kit". I didn't even want to hear such thing. I mean, I thought it was gonig to be some sick prank of throwing a couple gallons of gas on it and lettin' er' burn :icon_morgreen:

But then I finally got it :P

Look really cool PB!
    A way I might sugggest to get rid of the shiny spot on the reso head is to put a blanket over it to diffuse the light. I don't know if that works, it just seems like it would. The other peoples suggestions are better though.
    Good luck with the youth concert!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

..love the red glow, I'd probably just leave it at that.

User Info Menu

Everything is fine the way it is PB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Id consider the red wash coming from the front and the changing lights behind you.
    Is your red flood a gel or fixed colour? If a gel Id go with a lighter red. Cause with red in front or behind will make you hard to see IMO.
    NR, the red light is a homemade light box that a friend made as a gift to me a couple of years back. It has a plexiglass lid and a red "gel" under the plexiglass. The light simply comes out the top and washes the area, but I suppose it could be laid on it's side, or on end to wash across the kit from a side position. I'll take a look at moving things around. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Lighting drums is fun. What you've done looks nice. I always try to avoid having lighting hit the kick reso head directly. As you can see on your pic, doing that creates a shiny spot and to me is distracting. I like placing uplights to the left and right of the kick about a foot and a half away angle in at about 20 degrees. Have fun experimenting.
    Yeah, I have lit up the kit this way before, just to try it out (nearly did a youth event a year or so ago, but it was decided to go another way). The way I did it before was to go with a color bank to each side of the bass. I agree that it looked better, but I only have 4 banks, and I commited 3 to the from line. I didn't want to hog the lights all to myself. I guess I could always get one more bank.

User Info Menu

I like the red wash the way it is. I would play with the front lights a little. From the pic it really reflects of the bass head but if they are going to be moving with the beat it may not be too bad at all.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

OK, I made a couple of changes, so what about this? Is it better or worse than the first?

BTW, I noticed that I need to tighten a couple of lugs on the bass. That blue light showed up a couple of wrinkles that I couldn't see without this pic.

User Info Menu

Wow, I like that PB!

User Info Menu

Thanks Drummer. I'm sort of obsessing over things right now, because I want to make it special for the kids when we play. BTW, I heard from a few people at the church tonight that my immediate superior, who is in our band, thinks I'm a very good drummer. I have yet to think of myself that way, so it was nice to hear, and especially so because she is a good musician herself.

User Info Menu

I really don't have much to add, other than a general comment- Your level of dedication to making this special for the kids is truly awesome. I've noticed you mentioning this in a bunch of threads, and think the amount of love and and also level of perfection you are showing for this is fantastic and inspiring! Good luck would be the right thing to say but you don't need it- you already rock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    I really don't have much to add, other than a general comment- Your level of dedication to making this special for the kids is truly awesome. I've noticed you mentioning this in a bunch of threads, and think the amount of love and and also level of perfection you are showing for this is fantastic and inspiring! Good luck would be the right thing to say but you don't need it- you already rock.
    What a truly kind things to say. Thanks SA!

User Info Menu

I haven't been with this community long, but it looked like something to me that deserved to be called out and mentioned- You're welcome dude! We're all passionate about music and drumming, but I always find it really awesome to see people go the enth degree in sharing that passion with others.

User Info Menu

They both look great PB. I really like the red a bit more though.

User Info Menu

Way better! That looks great PB!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Way better! That looks great PB!
    +1. That looks fantastic
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone, I really value your opinions. You guys have so much more gigging experience, and I'm really a fish out of water here. I want to do something cool, but at the same time, I don't want to upstage the rest of the band.

User Info Menu

I would try experimenting with above and in front. But high enough to not cut out the view of your bandmates and crowd. I also have a youth group think coming up that I've been thinking of lighting for, I was going to find a way to use the vintage muffler holes and hardware to put lights inside each drum. (I removed the mufflers, rattly little buggers.) But with about two weeks left before it, I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. Plus we'd have to call the lighting company to make sure they could trigger them with the rest of their lighting rig. Pains. You've already got the lights and everything, go you! Hahaha
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I would try experimenting with above and in front. But high enough to not cut out the view of your bandmates and crowd. I also have a youth group think coming up that I've been thinking of lighting for, I was going to find a way to use the vintage muffler holes and hardware to put lights inside each drum. (I removed the mufflers, rattly little buggers.) But with about two weeks left before it, I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. Plus we'd have to call the lighting company to make sure they could trigger them with the rest of their lighting rig. Pains. You've already got the lights and everything, go you! Hahaha
    Thanks for the thoughts IANAT. I confess that I have the light banks, but haven't invested in light stands, so everything comes from the floor up for the moment. I do have a couple of 48" black lights that I am going to set up on the floor in front of the guitar line, so I have to get them to wear the right clothing. They can alternate between the colored banks, and the black lights.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I don't want to upstage the rest of the band.
    Why not? You are the most important part of the band, arent' you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Why not? You are the most important part of the band, arent' you?
    Point well taken! The lead vocalist did say that he wanted my full kit with the rack for the visual impact that it would have. I guess lighting it properly would only add to the impact.

User Info Menu

looks better to me, too. Something disturbing about the shadows, though.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.