Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mydentity Mapex drums

User Info Menu

Default Mydentity Mapex drums

I saw this in the Mapex Drum thread and thought it deserved it's own thread, Mapex are bringing out a totally custom kit with over 5 Million variations, Maple or birch, and not high end prices.

Last edited by drummer; 03-02-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: commercial link
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mydentity Mapex drums

Wish they'd give a bit more information on shell and bearing edge. They tell you all about colors, finishes etc. This is why I think this is more about marketing than it is about drums. They will sell alot of drums this way. Some of the sizing choices are a bit strange.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Wish they'd give a bit more information on shell and bearing edge. They tell you all about colors, finishes etc. This is why I think this is more about marketing than it is about drums. They will sell alot of drums this way. Some of the sizing choices are a bit strange.
    I wish they did too. I'd want to know what range of shell I'm buying. But it's something I'd be interested in if I knew they were upper end shells....like Saturns.

User Info Menu

Based on the price point, I don't think they are Saturnesque.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Based on the price point, I don't think they are Saturnesque.
    Probably not. I'm guessing they are more mid-range stuff as the target audience is probably younger folks.

User Info Menu

Mapex has had a good reputation for offering a good number of finishes. This just seems like they are expanding on that reputation. Right now, I would be more impressed with higher quality at a decent price, than I would a kit with specific color options. Of course, I still get blown away if the eye candy is just right, too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

the Saturn shells are nothing like birch or maple ....

if anything its going to be closer the meridian shells which are actually reasonably good
    Last edited by itchie; 03-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I would bet they are the same shells as the M/Pro M/Meridian series.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

they tried this a few years ago with the pro m line
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Just wondering. Do Mapex make their own shells?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Just wondering. Do Mapex make their own shells?

all the best...
    Yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    I would bet they are the same shells as the M/Pro M/Meridian series.
    I suspect that you're correct. They are probably Meridian birch and Meridian maple shells.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Also, these are all wrap finishes. They really need a lacquer option there. Wonder how many plys are on the shells too?

User Info Menu

I went through the motions today and built a 10/12/15/22 4 piece shell kit with their online tool. The MSRP was just over $1500, which probably puts the street price just under $1000. If I had the extra cash, I could see doing this for a gigging out kit that I wouldn't be terrified of scratching up a little. I've been looking for a way to get a 15" floor tom for a while for a 12/15/22 rock kit, and this would be an acceptable solution in my book.

User Info Menu

Have been, and always will be the best deal on drums out there. This kit configurator puts them near DW's level adding a bit of a new feel to it(soundwise probably not, unless the customer requests something similar to be done). Sounds like they are trying to get into doing what custom companies have been for years, and at these prices they are going to hold that market down once they offer better finishes.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I can also see these being way easier to resell than even really well done boutique shop keller shell kits. A big company reputation can mean a lot to a buyer.

User Info Menu

So has anyone here from DrumChat ordered a set of these puppies? All too interested in pics & sound reviews when we start getting some deliveries. Can't get an official word if these are really Meridian shells or something new altogether in-between Meridian & Saturn.
    Last edited by vkirkpat; 03-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

If I were a betting man, I would say that they are the same shells as the Meridian line, the bearing edge is probably a standard 45 degree just like the Meridians. The only difference would be that you can custom order with all those colors and hardware.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I'd say you're right.

Specs are:
    Shell Materials – Option of 100% Maple or 100% Birch
    Shell Thicknesses – 7.2mm on bass drums, 5.8mm on mounted toms, floor toms, & snare drums
    Bearing Edge Cut – 1:9 with a 45 degree back-cut
    Finishes – Quality Coverings
    Hoops – 2.3mm Power Hoops
    Mounts – ITS Mounts

User Info Menu

Meridians can't compare to Saturns though. Saturns use two types of wood, whereas Meridians are a single-wood kit. It would be informative to know what type of maple or birch they use. My hypothesis is that at the particular price point specified, it's unlikely they are using any type of Keller shells. It's possible to keep costs down if the rest of the drum parts are relatively inexpensive to make. Heck i've seen Keller maple snares being put together for $160-$200, it's just a question of what the design of the drum is. If it's through a mainstream company though, it falls all on how they price everything. Mapex has a reputation for not jacking up the prices on anything they make, so if the line does improve in time with more types of finishes it might still remain affordable.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

can somebody tell me why i am all of a sudden seriously thinking about getting one of these now??? haha

User Info Menu

Personally, I really can't imagine why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Mapex has a reputation for not jacking up the prices on anything they make, so if the line does improve in time with more types of finishes it might still remain affordable.
    Nice. Not many companies can say that coughcoughyamahaoakcustomscoughcough.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I love the look of the Mydentity kits - shame they're not available in the UK, but never mind.

I got the impression they were the same shells as the Meridian series, too. Some of the finishes they promote on their Facebook pages are quite garish!

User Info Menu

They really need to bring in some more woodgrains, sparkles, and lacquer options to compete with other companies using multiple finish types to set themselves apart. If they don't, they can't really stand against the other custom giants.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments