Thread: Drum cover editing help

User Info Menu

Default Drum cover editing help

Hey guys, lately I have been recording drum covers of mostly heavy metal and metal songs. But I'm having trouble putting the actual songs in time with me playing. Now I don't want to have to fork out any money whatsoever because I just bought a tama road pro stand. So I was told to download windows movie maker, but the problem is I'm incredibly new to editing, and don't know exactly how to operate movie maker. I record me playing on my iPod camera....and save it as an IMG file.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum cover editing help

Windows Movie Maker sucks. But what exactly is your question? I'm a professional video editor.

Did you play along to the song when you recorded it? If so, you shouldn't have much trouble lining it up.

User Info Menu

Yeah I played along with the song when I recorded it but I can't work out how to put the actual track in the background.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Is there an import option in the menu somewhere? Sorry, I'm on a Mac...I don't have Movie Maker in front of me.

User Info Menu

I sympathize. I've recorded video of myself and other drummers on many occasions. I record the audio on my ADAT HD24 and then synch it up with the video.

I have not used Windows Movie Maker. I use Corel Video Studio. Corel provides a free 30-day trial downloadable from their web site. It is easy to use and it supports multiple audio tracks. You can see the waveforms in the editor so you can line them up by the start of the song or a cymbal hit or somesuch. And then you can scoot the audio slightly until they line up.

Hope this helps.
    ------------
    Rob

I play drums in the Philadelphia dharma rock band Seven Rays of Tara, Listen to our Music

I play:
    Mapex Meridien Maple
    Aquarian Heads
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vater (fatback!) Sticks

User Info Menu

thanks rob i will probably check that out....and marko yes there is an import option...but im not 100% sure it can do IMG files. its a video recorded on my idod so quality might be a problem, and lag tends to occur
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    thanks rob i will probably check that out....and marko yes there is an import option...but im not 100% sure it can do IMG files. its a video recorded on my idod so quality might be a problem, and lag tends to occur
    You should be importing IMG files. Those are still images. You should have mp4 or .avi or some other video file, right?

User Info Menu

a good idea is to clap or bang your sticks a few times before the song, just line that up and then kill it... the rest of the video will still be lined up.