Thread: A Drum Tutor's Thread: How would you teach a new student who's blind?

User Info Menu

Default A Drum Tutor's Thread: How would you teach a new student who's blind?

Wow. Just got off the phone then. THIS is going to be a challenge for me. Next Tuesday I've a new student to tutor drums. He has been playing for a little while, probably at least a few years. He is also blind. His mum said that he's picked up a bit from his older brother, plus he has his brother's kit to practice with and so isn't a rank beginner, but now needs someone to properly teach him the fundamentals. I'd love to get him grounded with at least the important rudiments.....singles, doubles, flams, triplet, paradiddles, five-stroke rolls and so forth, as well as getting all limbs together when playing the kit. His mum has told me that he can do some playing along to songs, which that is an achievement in itself, he sounds like he doesn't easily get discouraged.

I would say that being deprived of one sense, obviously he would have a heightened sense of hearing and memory. I've taught a couple of students with mild cerebral palsy before, so I am a patient sort, there's no problem with me being calm and collected going over and over things in that regard. But teaching someone blind is a whole different circumstance. It's going to have to be all by ear, no point charting stuff.

Any experienced drum tutors have any tips to share with me?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Drum Tutor's Thread: How would you teach a new student who's blind?

I'm not a teacher, but I would teach him like anyone else.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Drum Tutor's Thread: How would you teach a new student who's blind?

it'll be interesting to hear how the lessons go.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Good afternoon, Drumble...

I agree with Rick; there is no difference in approach, as far as I know. When learning/practicing fretless bass, it is recommended to play in the dark, or eyes closed (probably same with acoustic bass, violin or 'cello..?). I often play drums eyes shut, either practicing alone, with the gruop or even 'live'. The only minor difference would be the written documents, such as method books, which would have to be either adapted (braille-type symbols, talking book..?) or explained and memorised. Nothing else changes, I would think..?
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

You are obviously great with children which are the best teachers in my book! Come to think of it, when I was taking lessons, my teacher would have things written out for me to practice and I'd do them reluctantly but ended up bringing in tunes that I wanted to learn instead. He sometimes would do a puppet type thing where he'd put his hands over mine and show me the movement and I'd get a sense of the feel and movement it took to play it. He'd also write it out but I'd pick it up much faster all by ear. This was a lot of fun and the teacher looked forward to see what I'd bring in.

User Info Menu

Think of all the visual tips given on the web...useless in this case. You will have to be more aware of these, maybe more"hands on." How to hold sticks, etc.

User Info Menu

Speaking as someone with a blind daughter , the first thing not to do is underestimate this student. Also , as with anyone with a disability , it's just a case of learning to adjust to their world , not the other way round , them adjusting to yours . Sounds simple , eh ?

I'm sure you'll be amazed at what this student is capable of. I'm also sure that you're just about to embark on a very special journey.

User Info Menu

I think the first and maybe most important thing will be to establish a vocabulary so you can communicate the things you want him to do, and then use that vocabulary consistently. Then you'll be able to talk him through things on the fly. Also, I'll bet he's really good at hearing something and mimicking it. Also, just ask him how he learns best. And lastly, is there a biography of Stevie Wonder that maybe describes how he learned the drums?

User Info Menu

Wow. This is a great thread. Another thought---if you can reach out to some blind drummers, seeking their thoughts on what worked best for them, that may provide helpful inputs.

For instance, Mike Armstrong (you can look him up--see, for example, his solo at blindmotivation below).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGFdCgHf0GQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGFdCgHf0GQ[/ame]
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm not a teacher, but I would teach him like anyone else.
    Ditto...

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

He's going to have to operate based on feel, which isn't too different from how some other guys play. Memorizing where the toms are, honing your ear to know where to hit will be the key here. It can be done, the only different thing is working around his handicap and maybe showing him where to hit. He's walking in the right direction if he can manage playalongs, so it might be easier than you think.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I am not completely blind but I have very low vision. My drum teacher didn't do anything differently with me and it's worked out fine. And out of pure coincidence, the guy who has his lesson right before mine is completely blind, and my teacher doesn't treat him any differently either. So I agree with Rick, just approach it like you would approach teaching any other student. Obviously you won't be able to write out patterns for him but if he can already play along to songs, he probably has a pretty good ear to begin with.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Do it! You'll learn just as much from him as he'll learn from you.

User Info Menu

Reading thru all the replies I strongly have the doubt:
    For those who say there is no difference, do you read or use music chart at all?

I ve been tutoring privately for almost 7 years and I never taught anyone without chart reading. Surely for visually disabled people, hearing and memorizing may be a stronger point. For someone who has natural gift on drums it is also easy to just mimick what he hears and feels (by hand to hand "demostration").
    But to teach someone who has not yet the musical concept for subdivision of time in his brain, while being not able to sight read music, it IS a problem for teaching.

Rudiments are easier since they are all single -line exercises.
    Drumset can be problematic. All you can do is to break everything down very slowly, and hold his hands/legs to feel it.
    If he is gifted, later on he will develop his own feel of grooves and can apply various "hit points" of bass and snare.

Good luck?

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great opportunity....there are some mind-blowing musicians who are blind.

I would think that patience would be the ticket.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

User Info Menu

Just think of this as a chance to gain a valuable skill as well as a competitive edge over other drum teachers in your area. Imagine how in demand you could become once people find out you are the only guy in town able to teach music to the blind? Nothing but good could come from this as far as I can tell.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikkeydee View Post
    Reading thru all the replies I strongly have the doubt:
    For those who say there is no difference, do you read or use music chart at all?

I ve been tutoring privately for almost 7 years and I never taught anyone without chart reading. Surely for visually disabled people, hearing and memorizing may be a stronger point. For someone who has natural gift on drums it is also easy to just mimick what he hears and feels (by hand to hand "demostration").
    But to teach someone who has not yet the musical concept for subdivision of time in his brain, while being not able to sight read music, it IS a problem for teaching.

Rudiments are easier since they are all single -line exercises.
    Drumset can be problematic. All you can do is to break everything down very slowly, and hold his hands/legs to feel it.
    If he is gifted, later on he will develop his own feel of grooves and can apply various "hit points" of bass and snare.

Good luck?
    I think youre under estimating this person. The only difference is that they cant sight read and play. Notation and theory is available in braile. I have an aunt who is a terrific piano player/teacher and blind. She just sits down with her music and reads it before hand and memorizes it. So its not a problem at all.

User Info Menu

Well, earlier tonight I've had my second lesson with Connor, my blind student. The first lesson we had two weeks ago, his brother came in to watch how I teach, and I think I left a very good impression, because he (the older brother), also used to play drums. Said that I was the most patient and knowledgeable drum tutor that he had ever met (his words, not mine). The first few minutes felt a little awkward, but I suppose because I come across as a relaxed, fairly easy-going and dry-humoured type (yay for us few larrikin-types left in Oz!), it didn't take long before Connor could relax a bit. Oh yeah, definitely had to show him a bit of correct technique (err, let me rephrase that....more like manipulate his fingers, wrists and arms into the correct positions, is what I meant to say :P) but after a while I think that maybe he'll get used to my way of instructing.

As for tonight, both his Mum and Dad came over to see what I was doing and after teaching Connor, we had a good chat about whether they might add some stuff to his present set (which had been pre-owned by his brother....a basic set which really needs a ride cymbal added to it for starters) or whether we should go for a complete electronic kit for him. They're most likely to go for the second option, with the added bonus that they can let him practice with headphones on and not annoy family members. Mum and Dad were also like the eldest son, pretty glad that they finally got Connor not only a teacher who is patient and knows what's going on, but also is up for the challenge - his Mum told me earlier that they started getting the 'runaround' by other tutors who'd give excuses that they need to check diaries and so on the moment she'd mention that her young son was visually impaired....in fact they've been looking for a drum tutor for at least 12 months or so. So hopefully he'll be coming to me for quite a while, here's hoping.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

glad to hear the lessons are going good mate, nice to hear the guy has supportive family too.

sounds like he has great drum teacher as well!
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic