Thread: Ludwig Epic (First Run)

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Epic (First Run)

I have had them since they came out basically, (pics in profile), they sound amazing! I have recorded with them and they just boom!

Sizes: Mahogany Burst
    24X14
    10X7.5
    12X8
    14X14
    16X16
    14X6.5 matching snare

I use them in a 4 piece config and switch the toms every so often but that 10 inch tom and 14x14 are my favourite. If you tune the snare mid low, that is def the sweet spot for mine, tuning high sounds good just not as fat.

I would def recommend these for the gigging drummer, I play zeppy, beatles, little richard, etc. you see where the list is going :P

Any questions, just PM or ask below! I'll try my best to check often!

Thanks Guys!
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Epic (First Run)

Nice one Saunders! Yep, amongst my stuff I have an Epic kit, in Black Burst To Natural Fade with Antique Bronze hardware. You'll laugh at the sizes though...18x14" kick, 13x5" snare, 8x7", 10x7.5", 12x8" and 14x14" toms....the complete opposite of your sizes! (I've set this up as a jazz kit). But you are right, it is a great sounding kit, with an impressive tuning range.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I play in a classic rock band and always looked for that deep rock sound, but now I have my snare tuned way high with a crisp crack. It's a Ludwig Supraphonic though, and I feel I play better with it tuned like that. Just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

I've had my Ludwig Epic for about 8 months now & I love it! I got it as a 6pc, w/10"-12"-13" rack & 16" floor toms. The 20x22 kick booms, and the Attic white fade w/antique bronze hardware is gorgeous. I've been very impressed with the sound. I would love to find a 14" or 18" floor tom for it, though, but the finish seems to be pretty rare.
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tadly View Post
    I've had my Ludwig Epic for about 8 months now & I love it! I got it as a 6pc, w/10"-12"-13" rack & 16" floor toms. The 20x22 kick booms, and the Attic white fade w/antique bronze hardware is gorgeous. I've been very impressed with the sound. I would love to find a 14" or 18" floor tom for it, though, but the finish seems to be pretty rare.
    Aww man! You got it in Attic White??? I was about to get my kit in that finish except my kit dimensions were going to be 8", 10" & 12" rack toms, 14" floor tom, 18" kick and 13" snare. The problem was that the distributor had no more 10" toms left in Attic White anywhere in Australia, and it was then I heard Ludwig discontinued that finish.....so hold onto it! That was my first choice, but now I'm well pleased with mine in Black Burst To Natural. That Antique Bronze hardware sure does turn heads, doesn't it?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Drumbledore--absolutely! Visually it's the best looking kit I've owned, and that's the primary reason I bought it. I get compliments on it all the time. It sat in the store (a small-town store in Wabash, IN!) for quite a while--higher priced kits like that don't really move in smaller town stores--and when I got to the point that I really needed two kits, that was the kit I had to have. I could have paid less for another kit somewhere else, but it wouldn't have the "uniqueness" of this kit. One of the things I really like about the OC kit is the big 20x22 kick. The Epic's kick is the same size, and has that same awesome "boom." Yeah, I'll hang on to it for quite a long time.
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

I know this thread is a little old but I just bought the epic "funk" sizes,8,10,12,16,22x20,14x5 snare and have a matching 14 floor on order.I have the olive burst finish and it is very cool, I heard good reviews about these kits for awhile, and decided to finally own one, can't say enough good stuff about it,on the batter side, I put a emp x on the snare, coated vintage A's on the rack toms and coated emp on the floor, the rack toms sound awesome that 70's "wet" sound the snare has a great low crack, 22x20 kick with Aquarian super kick batter booms, aswell as the floor tom, can't wait for my 14. I love the hybrid birch/maple/birch,the vintage looking (brushed bronze) hardware,the mini keystone lugs and virgin bass drum.Compares to kit I've had at twice the price..would highly recommend the kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    I know this thread is a little old but I just bought the epic "funk" sizes,8,10,12,16,22x20,14x5 snare and have a matching 14 floor on order.I have the olive burst finish and it is very cool, I heard good reviews about these kits for awhile, and decided to finally own one, can't say enough good stuff about it,on the batter side, I put a emp x on the snare, coated vintage A's on the rack toms and coated emp on the floor, the rack toms sound awesome that 70's "wet" sound the snare has a great low crack, 22x20 kick with Aquarian super kick batter booms, aswell as the floor tom, can't wait for my 14. I love the hybrid birch/maple/birch,the vintage looking (brushed bronze) hardware,the mini keystone lugs and virgin bass drum.Compares to kit I've had at twice the price..would highly recommend the kit
    Congrats on the new kit...but we need pics to believe you. And I agree, the Epics are awesome. I came really close to buying these instead of my Renowns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Congrats on the new kit...but we need pics to believe you. And I agree, the Epics are awesome. I came really close to buying these instead of my Renowns.
    Hey Td, you actually commented on the pic.. page 449 show your drums thread, by the way your gretsch kit is a real beauty, looks awesome in those outside pics
    Last edited by myk; 03-27-2013 at 05:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Hey Td, you actually commented on the pic.. page 449 show your drums thread, by the way your gretsch kit is a real beauty, looks awesome in those outside pics
    Oh wups, and thanks. We have so many different 'let's see your drums' threads, that I lose track of them all. Brand threads, driver's seat threads, show me thread, etc.

In any case, those Epics are awesome drums. Take care.

Ted