Thread: Boom or no boom?

User Info Menu

Default Boom or no boom?

What kind of stand do you prefer for a kick drum? The short "desktop" style stand? Or the one with the telescoping boom to get inside the drum more?

Just curious, I'm looking into cutting back on spending 10 more bucks and getting the one without the boom. I'd like to know if I'm just cutting corners and being foolish, or just skipping an optional amenity.

Thanks guys!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Boom or no boom?

i use a stand built into my bass drum pillow ...just because its easier and i like the sound when the mic is inside the drum + a sub kick

a short boom stand with a counter weight balance would be ideal ...even cast iron base

iv been using my rack clamps to add weight to the end of my boom stands if i need to counter balance

User Info Menu

Let me start by saying that I am by no means an expert here DR, but I have used both types of stands, and I found the boom stand to be more versatile. What I want next, is to put a short boom on the "desktop" stand, so the stand is less intrusive in seeing the front of the kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am by no means an expert here DR, but I have used both types of stands, and I found the boom stand to be more versatile. What I want next, is to put a short boom on the "desktop" stand, so the stand is less intrusive in seeing the front of the kit.
    Hmm, interesting. I was just researching the cost of putting a boom on a desktop short stand and found it to be around $5 more. So your saying the regular one you have is a kind of bulky?

@itchie

Is it possible to chuck a small sandbag on the base of that sucker too?

Thanks for the input!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Hey dr. What sound are you going after? that what depend on boom or no boom. I prefer having my d6 sit about 2 inches off of my batter head inside the drum. Some guys like the big open sound and put their mic at the port or on the reso.

User Info Menu

I use this kind--saves space (at least as much as any external bass drum mike stands). Have found it fine, though even this can be challenging in small clubs with those tiny "drum risers".

[IMG][/IMG]
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

^I also use that type of lower profile stand. In situations where the kit doesn't really move around much it's fine, and i've found it has a nice amount of reach for where I like it to be positioned. I would rather not have something mounted to or inside the drum that could move around during playing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

this has never failed me, even during epic 3 hour sets

User Info Menu

itchie--what is the Beta 52 mounted on?

(Not the foam, but is that an improvised mount? Looks great, and I was trying to fashion something like that for my Mapex bass drum, which is not ported (nor do I want it ported, as the sound is great as is)). Saw some hints in your post above, but just checking for details on how you stabilized it into the "drum pillow".
    Last edited by Tadman; 02-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    I use this kind--saves space (at least as much as any external bass drum mike stands). Have found it fine, though even this can be challenging in small clubs with those tiny "drum risers".

I've used that before too, but I've also used a standard boom stand. Overall, I think I would prefer the shorter stand, but ultimately as long as you can get the mic into the hole it should be fine.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    itchie--what is the Beta 52 mounted on?

(Not the foam, but is that an improvised mount? Looks great, and I was trying to fashion something like that for my Mapex bass drum, which is not ported (nor do I want it ported, as the sound is great as is)). Saw some hints in your post above, but just checking for details on how you stabilized it into the "drum pillow".
    this is where is got that base from

i would look at something like a randallmay system if you dont want to port

putting the port in a particular spot wont effect the feel or sound to much

User Info Menu

^Thanks, itchie!

User Info Menu

I say for the sake of having options that you get a small kick drum boom stand. if you prefer it onside the drum you can have the stand outside and the mic in or the mic on the outside. and if you like what itchie is doing you can take the boom off and use just the straight stand

You need to try lots of options to learn your taste so a boom allows experimenting.
    -Steven