Hey Guys
My bro and I were composing a a song this weekend and were laying down scratch tracks to adjust and work on lyrics. I thought It was a good chance to post up a track. My kit was mic'ed with 4 mic's. 2 overheads (Oktava MK-012) in the x-y pattern off center to the left with the apex pointed toward the center of the kit about 5 feet off of the ground. An i5 mic'ing the snare with the blind spot set against the hihat. Finally a d6 kick mic about 2 inches off of the base batter head via the bass port.

Now we ran the i5 into an A designs 500 series mic preamp, and the overheads were run into a sebatron VMP-2000 all tube preamp. Finally the D6 was sent into a Purple audio "The Biz" 500 series preamp.

The preamps then were sent into an Avid/ Digidesign 192 analog to digital interface and from there into an HD native card which interfaces with Pro tools 10 HD.

As for EQ and plug in's, they were minimal with mild eq'ing performed on the bass guitar track, heavy guitar tracks and acoustic guitar tracks. The drums had very minimal eq'ing which I won't bore you with.

One aspect to consider is the Khrtz rate at which we record. Now CD's are 44K and a lot of us track at 44K and that is fine however if you have the ability to record at a higher sample rate IMHO you should. Now it is increasing your amount of data on your hard drive and making your computer work much harder and using firewire can choke your rig, but play with it and see what you can get out of it. The more the actual sound is there the less the computer has to dither and fill in the gaps causing sample errors and decreased sound quality. For this track I was recording at 192K. Now once the higher resolution track is in your DAW you will get a much improved final product while using plug ins and stacking tracks before you bounce down to CD.

So anyway enough babbling. Here is the track. BTW, dial back or turn off any any eq you have on your speakers as we were eq'ing to taste on the scratch track and it is not recorded flat.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0acle13zbsomooc