Thread: Three Zone Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Three Zone Cymbals

So I've been looking at brains from Roland and Yamaha (and to a lesser extent, Alesis) and seeing that three zone cymbals are becoming more common. The question is, will one manufacturers cymbal work on another's brain? I mean...I THINK I know how they work. One zone mono, two zones, stereo...but how do the triples work?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Three Zone Cymbals

Three zones generally work as the edge, bow and bell…Yamaha is the only one of the three you mentioned that supports three zones exclusively and then only certain modules (DTXtreme, DTX900, 700, 500, DTXpressIV) support all cymbals as three zones…some roland modules support three zones as well, but generally only the ride cymbal is three zone (and it requires two cables to work)…you usually can swap cymbals between the various makes of modules; however, if a cymbal has only two zones then that's all it will support, regardless of module capability...

User Info Menu

OK, so ANY three zone uses two cables, then? That would make life MUCH easier!

User Info Menu

Yamaha's PCY135 & PCY155 only need 1 cable.

User Info Menu

Alesis Surge ride cymbals are three zone cymbals that require two cables. You should be able to use them with Roland and Yamaha modules, not just the Alesis ones. One stereo cable controls the main area of the cymbal ('shoulder') as well as the cymbal damper strip underneath, whilst the other cable is only for the ride's bell. For that one, either a mono or stereo cable will do. (I usually hook in a stereo cable)
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 02-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

mdee, that is...strange. OK...so could you still use a Roland or Alesis 3 zone? Would you just have to hook it up differently?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KaneBlaireau View Post
    OK, so ANY three zone uses two cables, then? That would make life MUCH easier!
    On Roland modules yes...Yamaha modules only require one cable for three zone cymbals (and snares/toms for that matter)....

User Info Menu

Since I've been leaning towards a Yamaha brain...I guess I'd have to go with Yamaha cymbals. Main reason being is they are MUCH cheaper compared to equivalent Rolands.

User Info Menu

mdee, that is...strange. OK...so could you still use a Roland or Alesis 3 zone? Would you just have to hook it up differently?
    I can't answer your question because I do not know anything about the Roland cymbal other than what I've read here.
    I will tell you that the connector cable used on a Yamaha PCY cymbal is a single 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve male connector.

User Info Menu

Since I've been leaning towards a Yamaha brain...I guess I'd have to go with Yamaha cymbals. Main reason being is they are MUCH cheaper compared to equivalent Rolands.
    There better imo as well..having played and owned both…roland is nice stuff, but way overpriced...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdee View Post
    I can't answer your question because I do not know anything about the Roland cymbal other than what I've read here.
    I will tell you that the connector cable used on a Yamaha PCY cymbal is a single 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve male connector.
    Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback! I'm ok having to buy the Yamaha cymbals since they seem pretty nice ANYWAY.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    There better imo as well..having played and owned both…roland is nice stuff, but way overpriced...
    The more I've been looking into this, the more I hear that! I'm thinking a combination of the 700 brain with some Dauz pads and Yamaha cymbals is gonna be the way to go for me.