Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange random midi issue with DTX500

User Info Menu

Default Strange random midi issue with DTX500

As the subject says, I have a randomly occurring issue with what sounds like every midi note being triggered at the same time (and it's always the same sound). This is not an issue of double triggering. This has occurred on two different computers (a laptop and a desktop) with two different midi input devices (one was a USB, which had it's own USB connector, one is a M-Audio 2496, which I had to buy a different midi cable for), and three different applications. This occurred with Superior Drummer 2.0 (both the toontrack solo and as a VSTi under Reaper, where I actually recorded the event) and even under BFD2.
    I've tried changing ASIO audio latencies, frequences and nothing seems to fix the problem. It will occur if I'm playing a fast doublebass beat or something less complicated and simple. It happens at random and there is no rhyme or reason.

The only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with the DTX500 module (which I have already replaced within the first hour of using it because the snare input jack was messed up) Is there a setting I should check, or do I need to send yet another DTX500 back for replacement?

Here is a link to what it sounds like when it occurs
    http://www.teiidmedia.com/midi.mp3

User Info Menu

Default Re: Strange random midi issue with DTX500

Welcome to drumchat Brandon! I don't know much about the dtx500 module, but thanks for reporting the problem because I use BFD software for my own kit as well. Hopefully someone with the same gear you have will get back to you soon. I haven't had the same problems using my drumdial triggers with that program.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Every midi note being triggered at same time? Interesting...

I have the DTX500 on a modified DTX520 kit. I use Addictive Drums on both Logic & GarageBand.
    I normally use the GM setting on both the module and Addictive Drums. Have you tried a hard factory reset?
    Sometimes I'll get what I call a single ghost note due to the sensitivity setting of a pad.
    If you can tap on the frame with the palm of your hand and trigger a sound then it is a sensitivity issue.
    Last edited by mdee; 02-08-2012 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried a factory reset yet. Although, I have managed to stump the yamaha techs. They kept trying to blame my computer, and I had to keep reminding them that it has happened on 2 separate computers with totally different equipment.

Finally they agreed with me that the module is faulty and I'm going to have to contact who I bought it off of (again) and try and get it replaced (again). Being an IT person, I have still been researching the issue to see if it's something with the computer. And I think I have somewhat of an idea of what's going on. I think the issue is with the midi timing or midi buffers (I'm going more for the midi timing) I can change midi timer settings in Reaper and, although I get a little different results, it's still the same random occurrence. When I change the midi timing from Reaper's setting to Highest or Lowest and test, it does something a little different, it sounds like it's only playing 1/4 of all the notes I"m playing, and when I stop and start again, everything is fine for a while..so..needless to say, I'm going to get it replaced since no one on earth seems to be having the same problem.

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to replace this drum module. Here and I thought my Alesis kit was a piece of crap.

User Info Menu

just so your not getting mixed up with midi channels and notes

within each channel you control various notes ..(like a piano) .

if you change each drum to a diffident note with in the module......make the kick "c" then the snare "c#" ..see what happens

User Info Menu

All of the triggers are set to channel 10. I tried changing the notes of my toms, snare and kick and the issue happened within 30 seconds of playing.

I received my new module, and it does the same thing. I'm about to give up. I really don't like the sounds of the DTX500, and I was so happy to be able to use MIDI. I guess I'll put this puppy on ebay and try to buy something that actually works.

Thanks for trying to help
    Last edited by Brandon7777; 02-14-2012 at 07:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon7777 View Post
    All of the triggers are set to channel 10. I tried changing the notes of my toms, snare and kick and the issue happened within 30 seconds of playing.

I received my new module, and it does the same thing. I'm about to give up. I really don't like the sounds of the DTX500, and I was so happy to be able to use MIDI. I guess I'll put this puppy on ebay and try to buy something that actually works.

Thanks for trying to help
    Then it is def a computer/midi driver/or softsynth issue! Don't blame the module! Are you using a Mac?
    Have you tried it on a Mac using Audio Midi setup?
    Last edited by mdee; 02-15-2012 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't use Macs, and couldn't be paid to use one (sorry, I'm an IT person and I don't like Apple's communist attitude )

The reason I believe it be a yamaha issue is because I can see only one commonality between the 2 computers having the same problem with completely different hardware on each is the module. Until this morning actually. I realized that both machines are running Windows 7. The laptop was running 32 bit, my new one (with a fresh install) is running 64 bit. So, this evening, I'm putting Windows XP on the machine to see if I have the same issue. I would think if it were a windows 7 issue, I would have seen the issue popup in forums all over the place. But to have the same issue on two completely different computers, completely different hardware, and 2 separate stand alone applications, makes it seem like the module.

I have noticed that playing around with the midi timings in reaper have changed the issue from "every note playing at once" to a weird delay of "playing every note but slower" (that was switching from using reaper's timestamps to the highest timestamp)

UPDATE: Windows XP has done the same thing. The only option I have left is to try it all under Linux *sigh*
    Last edited by Brandon7777; 02-16-2012 at 04:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Default [SOLVED] Re: Strange random midi issue with DTX500

Yes, that's right, solved. In order to solve the problem, I had to buy a DTX700. Hooked it up with factory defaults, and no issues at all. It's sad that I had to buy a $800 module to do what the DTX500 should have done in the beginning. There is definitely a flaw in those modules (I even have the midi-ox log to prove it)

So, anyone else that comes across this thread with the same issue. Burn your DTX500 and get a way overpriced, crappy sounding DTX700.

I just can't believe how awful the sound are on these yamaha units. Maybe I'm comparing them too much to Superior Drummer and BFD2.

Also, I did receive a replacement module because Yamaha said it was defective (the DTX500), and it had the same problem. So yes, the DTX500 is majorly flawed.
    Last edited by Brandon7777; 02-22-2012 at 04:39 AM.

User Info Menu

hi brandon,
    i think i have the same strange issue...once in a while, about every two minutes, it sounds like all notes got triggered the same time repeadetly, awful sound, cause you hear all the drumsounds . well, i recorded midi and so can proof it, it only happens with the dtx 500 , not dependent on soundcard, nor computer.
    so you said, you got a new module 500from yamaha, which didnt work neither, well did you contact yamaha about that?
    i want to contact them to exchange my module...

User Info Menu

Yes, I did contact yamaha after the replacement. I was pretty mad about having to buy a $800 module just to be able to have flawless midi. I was hoping they would have me send my unit back to them for a refund but it may not happen. One of the tech's there is trying to see what he can do for me. After sending him my MIDI-OX log of the event he was pretty surprised They think it might be a flaw in the newest firmware (1.20) I would check that on your end and see if it's the same version. I can't remember the exact key to use, but you turn the unit off, hold down the shift key (I think, I could be wrong) and turn the unit it on. If they don't do anything for me, i guess i will just try and sell my DTX500 on ebay with a warning not to use it with MIDI. I tell you, I'm not that impressed with the yamaha's, and probably should have went with the rolands, but they didn't offer as many trigger inputs.

User Info Menu

hi Brandon,
    my dtx 500 was replaced, and now i have the same stupid issue...
    i just mailed the guy from yamaha, see what he's gonna say, but he was very friendly the first time.
    i will not buy a new module, yamaha has to make sure, that it will work!
    if they will send again a replacement, which has this issue, i think I'm gonna ask them to refund everything, pads and module, and i will go with roland then!
    because i only use the drums to trigger sounds on my mac, so it is useless with the issue!
    strange, that its hard to find other users with this issue! are they all happy with their internal sounds and don't use sounds from a sampler?
    or was it really bad luck, that only we have this bad units?

User Info Menu

FWIW, I have the DTX500. Firmware v1.10
    Running on an iMac...
    No problems here.
    Must be the Firmware!
    Last edited by mdee; 03-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a DTX530k that is just over a week old which I bought for triggering drum VSTs.

I am having the same problems that others have described in this thread (multiple ghost notes triggered at once). The first time it happened, it scared the crap out of me as it happened after I stopped playing!

I too wonder about the sounds from the module. I'm very much underwhelmed by them. Am I being too critical? I have a Roland HD-1 that has better sounding kits.

I do love the pads/rack.. everyrthing but the brain. I would prefer to keep the set since they were purchased online and am happy with the pads/rack. I have reported the issue to Yamaha and waiting for a tech to contact me.

User Info Menu

Mdee - Hey buddy, do you mind sharing your DTX500/Addictive Drums drum maps? I don't have the minimum post count required for PMing, could you PM me? TIA!

User Info Menu

Hey people!

I have the exact same thing happening to my DTX500. Dropped it at my dealer so they can send it to Yamaha.

@Sevensilly – please do complain about it to Yamaha so they become aware of the issue. They're currently treating mine as a case of faulty unit when it's clearly a global software problem with the 500 series.

Apparently (or so my dealer tells me) one of the mainboard manufacturers was no longer able to deliver because of the 2011 tsunami and they had to change the firmware to version 1.20 to match the new boards. That is when I think the bug would have slipped in.

To be fair – I don't think it's a downright showstopper (if you're looking to create convincing drum tracks). You can still output as much awesome drum midi as you want with it and cut out the bad bits.

But it surely takes all the fun out of continuous playing. :/

Marco

User Info Menu

I think my message has been swallowed up by a forum bug. This is a little test – move over, nothing to see here!

User Info Menu

Ok then -

I have the exact same problem happening to me and I dropped it at my dealer for them to send it to Yamaha.

@sevensilly and thomasthepommes:

I think it's very important that you send it in too so Yamaha becomes aware of the issue. Right now they're treating mine as a lemon item (like brandon777) when it's clearly a problem with the whole 500 series. Apparently they were forced to modify the firmware when a mainboard manufacturer couldn't deliver because of the tsunami.

If many people complain I reckon it would drastically improve the chances of Yamaha giving out refunds or fix the bug.

Marco
    Last edited by Bonteburg; 03-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sevensilly View Post
    Mdee - Hey buddy, do you mind sharing your DTX500/Addictive Drums drum maps? I don't have the minimum post count required for PMing, could you PM me? TIA!
    I collaborate with people who do not have Addictive Drums so I usually use GM to be on the safe side.
    When recording I usually set my DTX500 Module to the factory setting: Kit 1 #50 - GM Standard.
    I'm not listening to the module it's just being used as a trigger.
    Inside Garageband - Addictive Drums has 2 choices;
    They are; Addictive Drums GM and Addictive Drums. Once again I choose GM. And finally I use the
    DTXPRESS IV Basic Map inside Addictive Drums for both Garageband and Logic Pro and sometimes I'll use the GM map.
    Last edited by mdee; 03-16-2012 at 07:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I was advised by a Yamaha tech that at this point, they don't definitively know the problem to be with the firmware. The person I spoke w/ stated that there are other units w/ this firmware.

So I am having my unit RMA'd to the merchant I bought it from.

This bug to me might be a deal breaker.. it can really throw off your groove. Ugh.. sad I have a shiny, brand new $1200 kit that I can't enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sevensilly View Post
    I was advised by a Yamaha tech that at this point, they don't definitively know the problem to be with the firmware. The person I spoke w/ stated that there are other units w/ this firmware.

So I am having my unit RMA'd to the merchant I bought it from.

This bug to me might be a deal breaker.. it can really throw off your groove. Ugh.. sad I have a shiny, brand new $1200 kit that I can't enjoy.
    You never said what version firmware you have? Seems v1.20 has the bug!

User Info Menu

Yes indeed (at least if I'm anything to go by, as I have 1.20 and the bug).

User Info Menu

But it appears to me they can't change the firmware just like that because they created it to match a new mainboard because they irreversibly ran out of the old ones...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip MDEE.

Sorry all, couldn't be bothered to check the firmware version. Been too lazy to run down to the basement.

The vendor I bought my kit from is sending me a replacement. He's been told by Yamaha that "very few" modules have this bug (which I have a hard time believing). I'm going to RMA my defective unit and he'll send me a replacement. He took a new one of its box and has had it running all day and hasn't heard any anomalies, this is the one he'll be sending me.

Hoping this is finally the week I get to use my kit. I will keep you all posted when I receive the replacement.

User Info Menu

I'm also having mine looked at and I also hope to get it/a replacement back during the week so there's going to be plenty of news!