Thread: Changing Kick Technique

User Info Menu

Default Changing Kick Technique

Hello all!

I'm sitting down on the set today and wanted to try the toe technique on the bass drum. I have only one pedal, 2 models, an older Speed King and a newer Ludwig that came with my set. I have a few questions, for example;

- on most videos I see the bass pedal returning or bouncing off very fast, so I imagine I'd have to keep spring tension tight or tighter than usual?

- Should I tighten the bass drum head too? I set it to the lowest possible sound by pressing slightly in the middle and tightening skin up until the wrinkling dissapears.

- Change my sitting position to a higher position so I dont tend to put my heel down and barely reach the pedal with the front part of my foot?

Thanks for any replies!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Changing Kick Technique

for everything I know (which isn't much) no matter what technique you use, your thighs and shins should form a 90 degree angle.

Many different opinions, however, and I'm sure someone else may do something different.

User Info Menu

If you're aiming for speed, most of the time I hear that the best way is to keep your bass drum head tight, and your pedal springs pretty loose. The tight head will bounce the beater back for you, so you don't need a very tight spring setting.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steveplaysyamaha View Post
    for everything I know (which isn't much) no matter what technique you use, your thighs and shins should form a 90 degree angle.

Many different opinions, however, and I'm sure someone else may do something different.
    OK thanks I already do that so I'm OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    If you're aiming for speed, most of the time I hear that the best way is to keep your bass drum head tight, and your pedal springs pretty loose. The tight head will bounce the beater back for you, so you don't need a very tight spring setting.

Wow OK I thought otherwise, I'll try it! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Well, as a tighter head and a loose spring is part of the equation. Don't forget about the little weight that attaches to your beater shaft, if it came with one. As well as the angle of your beater at the resting position. I know for myself that the tighter the head is, the faster the rebound. Sometimes uncontrollably and produces double hits where I don't want them. Same goes with a loose spring, a loss of control. Many different variables. The weight on the shaft makes a big difference on rebound depending on where it's located. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

On the Speed King loosen the springs by turning those 2 big, flat-head adjustment screws on the bottom/underneath of each post, if you can. If it's really old you may have to use some degreaser/gasoline to loosen the waxy grease inside and clean that out before regreasing... Use the heavier felt beater, too.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Well, as a tighter head and a loose spring is part of the equation. Don't forget about the little weight that attaches to your beater shaft, if it came with one. As well as the angle of your beater at the resting position. I know for myself that the tighter the head is, the faster the rebound. Sometimes uncontrollably and produces double hits where I don't want them. Same goes with a loose spring, a loss of control. Many different variables. The weight on the shaft makes a big difference on rebound depending on where it's located. Good luck.
    Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    On the Speed King loosen the springs by turning those 2 big, flat-head adjustment screws on the bottom/underneath of each post, if you can. If it's really old you may have to use some degreaser/gasoline to loosen the waxy grease inside and clean that out before regreasing... Use the heavier felt beater, too.
    Yeah but, I'm ashamed to admit I'm scared to touch that pedal !!! I'll try it on the newer pedal, thanks for your suggestion!