Thread: Do you play e kits differently?

User Info Menu

Default Do you play e kits differently?

Do you play electronic kits differently to an acoustic kit? What I mean is at my acoustic kit I have fairly good technique, especially with my right foot. I can comfortably play my right foot steady fairly quick and keep contro for a while. However when I sit behind my ekit, or any ekit, I find my foot technique becomes sloppy, I often find myself playing flat footed and lack control of the pedal.
    I was just wondering if everyone experiences this or if it's just me.
    "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - unfortunately I am one of them."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you play e kits differently?

They definitely "react" a bit differently...some of the mesh heads come close, but they always feel a bit different.

I'm sure E-drummers have the same issues when moving back to an acoustic kit....just have to get used to it.

User Info Menu

I move between electronic and acoustic frequently. I use electronic for playing "outside the waking hours" for family harmony!

That said, my kit has mesh heads, though I've used rubber surfaced edrums as well. The edrums definitely have a different feel, if you are using the mesh or rubber (not the kits that use modified acoustic drums--which are louder by nature). It is just a question of getting used to the different feels/responses, as a tennis player gets used to different court surfaces...
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

every now and then i get angry, ive realised that my triggers on the snare are crap

User Info Menu

Being that my acoustic kit is a dual functioning electronic kit, I actually play it the same as I would. Only difference is adjusting to the tighter tuned heads, but that's a relatively small difference. I see what stick means about settings frustrations though, I do - many times I feel like I have a tough time getting everything just right. Since there's so many of them it's easy for me to get confused, I much prefer using the triggers alongside the computer than just with the module alone.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have limited experience with both. I started on acoustic. Once I was asked to audition on the church equipment. It was electronic. I was all out of sorts. Aside from the spacing between drums, the size of the heads and rebound all gave me the impression of a whole different instrument. Personally, there is little chance I'd ever go electronic. For the afore mentioned and just because they seem so superficial.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.