Thread: Recommendation for triggers

User Info Menu

Default Recommendation for triggers

I'm trying to plan out converting one of my acoustic kits to an e-kit and I'm wondering if people can give recommendations for triggers. The band doesn't like the look of my e-kit, but I want a kit where we can control volume better for smaller gigs.

I know about the DDrum and Roland external triggers, but I don't have any info on internal triggers, particularly one's that don't require drilling to install.

For cymbals I'm just going to get some used Yamaha PCY's, although I'm not sure if I'll use one for the hi-hat pad or try to find an RHH too.

Looking for any info, advice, etc...
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recommendation for triggers

You're talking about the cone triggers that you have to drill and install internally right? I recall 2slow doing an excellent tutorial thread on how it's done so you might check that out. As for what kinds of triggers you should get for acoustic conversion purposes, I have found drumdial triggers to be the overall best deal. Pulse makes some of the most affordable ones i've seen, but I found them to be a little too sensitive and I didn't like their method for installation either. The drumdials are inexpensive, lock in place(nonslip) with soft rubber guards, and are very easy to use.

There are other trigger options out there but honestly I just don't think I needed to pay more for what I thought was the same thing. The DD triggers can be had in packs of 5 for approximately $40-$56 depending on whether you buy ones with or without the rubber guards. After you get your triggers, you will need:

Muffling or Mesh heads
    Drum module
    1/4" instrument cables
    Headphones or an amp for volume
    HiHat controller pedal
    Cymbals

Remember, those drums have to be dead as a corpse so you don't get any interfering sounds. Mesh heads will have some more bounce, but you can keep your regular drumheads on if you go the muffling route. Hart magnums are durable single ply and come in a lot of sizes but are quite costly, Pearl mesh is a bit weaker but also comes in a lot of sizes and is less expensive. Remo makes internal mufflers if you don't mind a brief head swap every time you need the kit for acoustic needs. Cable choice is a matter of preference, but I found whirlwind cables to be the cheapest and get me going the soonest.

The cymbals are another story entirely, and can get quite expensive or relatively inexpensive depending which route you go. You can get electronic cymbals with rubber surfaces such as the Roland CY-8's, or the slightly more realistic feeling Alesis Surge line. If you're like me and don't have that kind of cash, you have one of two options left. You could get cymbal mutes and tape the trigger sensors underneath them, or you can get a couple of frisbees, attach appropriately sized mousepad cutouts for the strike area and then attach the trigger underneath.

Lastly, don't forget the hi hat pedal. You will need something like an Alesis RealHat or a Roland KD-8 to work the hat pedal for open/close sounds, but it can also act as a double kick if set up correctly.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

At least for your hi-hat, go for an Alesis hi-hat cymbal. When I got my first Alesis DM5 kit, and even though I'm not bad with rebounds, my strokes still suffered greatly using the ol' rubber pad hi-hat. Well it felt great to be able to do drags on the hi-hat once again once I got my Alesis hi-hat cymbal. Been an Alesis Surge cymbal fan ever since, and in fact you should be able to use the Surge cymbals with any module - Roland, Yamaha and so forth.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I'm trying to plan out converting one of my acoustic kits to an e-kit and I'm wondering if people can give recommendations for triggers. The band doesn't like the look of my e-kit, but I want a kit where we can control volume better for smaller gigs.

I know about the DDrum and Roland external triggers, but I don't have any info on internal triggers, particularly one's that don't require drilling to install.

For cymbals I'm just going to get some used Yamaha PCY's, although I'm not sure if I'll use one for the hi-hat pad or try to find an RHH too.

Looking for any info, advice, etc...
    ..I ran an Acoustic / Electric kit for a long time and have now went back to straight drums.

Will see if I have some pics around showing the internal DIY triggers (cone-type)...If I have them, will post them up.

...there is a wealth of info on the net, that's where I got all my info.

User Info Menu

I'm currently changing my PDP kit over to a hybrid e-kit. I'm using some cones and piezos I bought off the bay. I just need to make a mounting method that will attach to the lug screws, no drilling. Then order my mesh heads.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, although I'm not sure anyone actually recommended any triggers besides Russ with the Drumdial ones. I didn't know if anyone had any experience with the internal cone style from one of the many people out there that sell them online. I saw some that mount off of the lug screws so there's no drilling and they don't lay over the bearing edge. I can always just get some externals. The DDrum one's seem like a good choice in terms of price versus features.

As far as other stuff, I'm pretty solid on most of it because I have my e-kit. I was planning on running mesh heads to make the undo as easy as possible, using the module (and my laptop through MIDI) from my Yamaha kit, and worst case I can use the hi-hat trigger and a regular cymbal pad for now for the hi-hat. I'm going to either buy some used Yamaha cymbal pads or Rolands (they are smaller but cheaper), but I could use the one's I have for crashes and just get a pad for hats and a ride pad. I don't have the $ to spend on Surge cymbals, but maybe just for hats if I can find them used online cheaper. I was also considering the Yamaha RHH135 for the hi-hat but that's pricey too.

So really I just need to decide on triggers and what to do with cymbals, buy it all including mesh heads, and I'm ready to go.

If I actually get it all going, I'll post some pics. Was planning on using my Tama Crestars, but would consider getting a cheapo set of CL and using that, although it adds to the cost.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Whichever kit you DON'T have any desire to mic up for either live or studio use, is the kit I would convert. Save your best sounding kit for situations calling for microphones and a natural sounding kit, and set up another one you don't like quite as much with triggers. As far as trigger prices, the ones from major brands such as Ddrum, Roland, and even Pintech are expensive and I didn't feel like you got more from them than the cheaper smaller drumdial ones. The ones without the trapguards on them don't require you to loosen a tension rod or drill to mount internally, but you will have to find some other way of making them stay put. I sort of feel like mesh heads belong on e-kits if you're trying to make the conversion as close to the look and feel of an acoustic as possible. However, they do tend to have good response and you will hear less drum noise. However, a conversion done right even without the soft silence of mesh shouldn't present any problems in this area to begin with- as you will likely have headphones on and the roomates won't mind nearly as much compared to when you played this kit acoustically.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Thanks guys, although I'm not sure anyone actually recommended any triggers besides Russ with the Drumdial ones. I didn't know if anyone had any experience with the internal cone style from one of the many people out there that sell them online. I saw some that mount off of the lug screws so there's no drilling and they don't lay over the bearing edge. I can always just get some externals. The DDrum one's seem like a good choice in terms of price versus features.

As far as other stuff, I'm pretty solid on most of it because I have my e-kit. I was planning on running mesh heads to make the undo as easy as possible, using the module (and my laptop through MIDI) from my Yamaha kit, and worst case I can use the hi-hat trigger and a regular cymbal pad for now for the hi-hat. I'm going to either buy some used Yamaha cymbal pads or Rolands (they are smaller but cheaper), but I could use the one's I have for crashes and just get a pad for hats and a ride pad. I don't have the $ to spend on Surge cymbals, but maybe just for hats if I can find them used online cheaper. I was also considering the Yamaha RHH135 for the hi-hat but that's pricey too.

So really I just need to decide on triggers and what to do with cymbals, buy it all including mesh heads, and I'm ready to go.

If I actually get it all going, I'll post some pics. Was planning on using my Tama Crestars, but would consider getting a cheapo set of CL and using that, although it adds to the cost.
    ...The internal DIY cone-type track better than any other IMO....I made brackets that mounted to the lug screw on the inside....no drilling.

As for the cymbals, I would recommend getting a set of plastic practice cymbals and adding a trigger. You can pickup a set of pintech practice cymbals for around $50.

If you are close to Georgia, I have a bunch of conversion leftovers ...brackets, cones, heads, etc if your interested.

User Info Menu

Kaosotis....just looked at your albums. With that much snow, pretty sure your not near Georgia

User Info Menu

I have an acoustic kit converted the e using cake pans, works well and triggers great using a roland module. The tougher part to me is finding sounds that you like. Depending on the module some internal sounds are ok but VST's give the best results in my opinion. I really like the new Steven Slate drums 4.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-14-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: forum link

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Kaosotis....just looked at your albums. With that much snow, pretty sure your not near Georgia
    No, I'm in CT, although this post did make me chuckle.

Russ, I'm not sure which kit. There isn't much difference in my two kits, although I'm more likely to gig the Superstars at this point. I'm also thinking of trying to find something used as long as the hardware is decent.

I think mesh heads might be the way to go over muffling. As for triggers I think I might take a risk and try some that I saw online that mount internally via the lug screws. I've also read the internals are much better. The issue will be finding one's that don't need drilling. I saw one guy had them where he had a small wire from the trigger that would fit through a vent hole, and then that attached to the full 1/4 inch cable.

Longgun, I think I might just get some used cymbals. First priority is getting something better for the hats, then the ride, and then crash if need be (since I can use my current Yamaha cymbal pads for crashes).

In terms of volume, for practice we'll either all play through headphones or just through the PA (like live) since we'll have serious volume control.

Getting psyched about it all, just have to start piecing it together slowly. First up is mesh heads and triggers, and hi-hat and ride if I can afford them.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

On EBay search for seller Quartztrigger I use the cone triggers he sells and they are very good. The piezo size is ideal for a roland module. If you're using something like an Alesis trigger i/o you'll want to ask him for a 27mm piezo.