Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why aren't we understood?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why aren't we understood?

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    As Pocketman said along with my first responce its a rehearsal! You sound like a young guy whos hung up on your set up. If you ever plan on being able to play shows get used to the fact that common kits are the norm. You could add or subtract and always bring your snare, pedals cymbals and seat but thats the way it is for drummers. Theres no time at shows to do tear downs we adapt to a kit its part of a drummers maturation.
    Now if your the main group your rider will have everything YOU want there from brand to sizes to cymbals and pedals.
    As for the "understood" part stop whinning and go play the crappy kit and be happy you don't have carry gear just to do an "unpaid" rehearsal were the drummers wastes 50% of his time waiting on chords to be figured out the singer getting his key "cause it sounded ok while singin with the recording" and just bring a book kick back and tell them to let you know when their ready!! Man as Allen once said "its just practice" "we're talkin bout practice"!
    Doc
    Wow...I don't know you Doc, and you don't know me....that's for sure. Thanks for the advice.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    True, and I could set up pots and pans too...but that's not as much fun as playing on my own gear. This is supposed to be fun, right? And it might just be me...but I don't like playing on a bad kit with cracked cymbals. Practice or not.

2 bands...3 kits. That's one for each practice space and one for the house idealy. Apparently it might not be in the cards though lol.
    I think the biggest factor to consider is leaving your gear unattended in a community property location. You never know who will come in and "use" your stuff without your knowledge. (i.e. the guitarist comes in with his little brother or someone else and "oh it's ok to beat on those drums" that aren't yours.)

That part alone is enough motivation for me to go into protection mode and leave well enough alone.

Of course, now if I was to use the Pots and Pans setup, that might be able to hold up to the abuse dealt out when ur not around. Just sayin...

And sheessh Scott, stop the whining you sniveling little wanna be drummer.

I'd rather tough it out with others' stuff than leave mine to the elements.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    And sheessh Scott, stop the whining you sniveling little wanna be drummer.
    LOL! Killin me Mark.

Very true about the elements. Something to consider for sure.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

True, and I could set up pots and pans too...but that's not as much fun as playing on my own gear. This is supposed to be fun, right? And it might just be me...but I don't like playing on a bad kit with cracked cymbals. Practice or not.

2 bands...3 kits. That's one for each practice space and one for the house idealy. Apparently it might not be in the cards though lol.
    Yeah, you need to be happy with what your playing on and if that is what makes you happy, then you should have your own stuff. Me? I'm just old and lazy and whenever I can hit the "easy" button, its just seems like the right thing to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Yeah, you need to be happy with what your playing on and if that is what makes you happy, then you should have your own stuff. Me? I'm just old and lazy and whenever I can hit the "easy" button, its just seems like the right thing to do.
    I agree, I like easy too. Which is why I want to leave my kit there...I'll need to figure something out.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

How about a compromise?

Is there room for both kits?

Leave them both set up and when not in use, cover yours with the usual electrified canvas covering to ensure no unauthorized use will occur.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

How about a compromise?

Is there room for both kits?

Leave them both set up and when not in use, cover yours with the usual electrified canvas covering to ensure no unauthorized use will occur.
    No there isn't...but there may be enough room to at least set one kit aside in a corner when not in use...I'm not sure.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

I have this setup in my place for now...see if this might work.

I have my Icon rack permanently set up complete with cymbals. All I do is change out the shell packs in minutes and I have an entirely different kit.

Would you be able to leave your rack and a set of shells there? Just take down your shells when done and he can set his up when his turn comes.

Does that make sense?

If so, there would be community cymbals involved or not. That would be up to either of you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree, I like easy too. Which is why I want to leave my kit there...I'll need to figure something out.
    If there was any possibility of someone else banging on my kit, I'd opt for using what is there.

User Info Menu

Man I wanna play a pots and pans kit now. With a floating pan rack and pots that get get bigger in even increments.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Here comes "King Solomon" Kay-gee with the best advice of all. If it is really important to you to have your very own gear to practice your repertoire, and don't want to do the community drum set thing (totally understandable), simply invite the band to YOUR PLACE for the rehearsals! As a side benefit, save on the rental $$.

Voila! problem solved.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have this setup in my place for now...see if this might work.

I have my Icon rack permanently set up complete with cymbals. All I do is change out the shell packs in minutes and I have an entirely different kit.

Would you be able to leave your rack and a set of shells there? Just take down your shells when done and he can set his up when his turn comes.

Does that make sense?

If so, there would be community cymbals involved or not. That would be up to either of you.
    The problem with this is I won't be using my Pearls...

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    If there was any possibility of someone else banging on my kit, I'd opt for using what is there.
    Yeah, as much as I hate this, that's probably the way to go for now.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Here comes "King Solomon" Kay-gee with the best advice of all. If it is really important to you to have your very own gear to practice your repertoire, and don't want to do the community drum set thing (totally understandable), simply invite the band to YOUR PLACE for the rehearsals! As a side benefit, save on the rental $$.

Voila! problem solved.

all the best...
    Man, if it was that easy I would...but I don't have room at my house...plus I live on a military installation, so getting everyone on base all the time would be a real pain.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

As much money as you put into those kits I honestly don't fault you the slightest bit for leaving your babies there unattended. The drummers might not be as respectful towards your gear as they are with their own, kind of like Valet drivers. They figure it's not their own car, so this is a great chance for them to drive like a maniac and wreck the car. The other drummer might trash your kit in your absence, and unless the kit is insured somehow against that- I wouldn't do it. It's your kit, you paid for it, you should play it. You don't need to be spending time or money replacing anything on it because of someone you don't even know.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

From an old school seasoned player, I'd have to say you absolutely have to get comfortable playing anything. Especially when it comes to covers.

It's one thing if you're in an original band with an original sound and you have really intricate parts syncopated throughout your material that creates a signature sound/vibe etc.

But even in that scenario, you will eventually be forced to play the headlining drummers kit at a show and you will have to eventually get used to it. The more comfortable you are ahead of time, the better you will be and the more fun you will have. There will be many times where you will be asked to just bring your pedals, cymbals, sticks, and throne. That is par for the course.

As for covers, it depends on the band. I play covers with various guys and we never practice. Half of the time I end up playing songs I've never heard before. A 2 and a half minute song could turn into a 15 minute song with guest solos stepping in at random and nobody having a clue where the song is going to take us until we've already gotten there.

I say bring your cymbals and whatever stands are needed to make them work, and just have fun playing something different. Pedals may be a must as well if the other players' pedals are totally whacked.

As per a previous post about covers. I feel if your playing "late model" covers like on the rock scene for die hard rockers, than you should probably try to stick with the script. But if you're doing "old school" jams, I say, leave them up for last minute interpretation. You never know what kind of magic can happen on stage. If you take covers too seriously, YOU will be the one MOST disappointed at the end of the song, if it doesn't go as expected.

Just my 2 cents. Or 25 cents... This was a pretty long post.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Can I throw two total different angles on the debate here?

1) Electronic sets. Supposing you're in a band which does electronica, keyboard based stuff (not that I'm in one at the moment, but I'm scheming to get one together eventually). If say your overall sound is dependent on software for your sound samples, and you know your gear inside out, as well as know how to set it up, etc, what would you say if all of a sudden the band tells you to practice on an el cheapo electronic one they provide, which doesn't have even a USB port on the module?

2) Percussion set ups. Say if you play as a percussionist in a band situation, where you might personally have more than congas, a tambourine and some shakers. You know yourself that adding timbales, windchimes, a traps table etc, really isn't that much extra effort, yet your bandmates think that they ca save you time and say they have percussion ready for you, you get over there and find that all they've laid out is a pair of old congas with slack tuned heads and a tambourine whose jingles are ready to fall off?

What would you guys think of those situations?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The problem with this is I won't be using my Pearls...
    That doesn't matter. Right now my Silverstars are using up the space.

Just change out the tom arms.
    Signature here