Thread: Head/Comparison/Tuning Sound Files: where are they?

User Info Menu

Default Head/Comparison/Tuning Sound Files: where are they?

I don't mean the manufacturers' sites' files I mean helpful, member files for everybody in this forum. I posted a comparison sound file earlier this year: G2 vs EC2(http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...one-23931.html). True, I had to doctor them a little to sound like they really were-no compression, etc. and explained drum make and size, type of wood, room size and type(sheetrock, low ceiling, carpeting, etc.) but I really now think that isn't enough.
    It would be helpful to have comparison sticky files similar to the head chart provided by JSD(http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...art-18462.html) to help us understand the differences and nuances of tuning, etc.Files that include a moderate roll on the head as well as a simple whack.
    It means more work, I know, but would be just as helpful to fellow drummers as a discussion about drum finishes is. Drums are all about sounds AND looks.
    Is this a good idea? What standards should we use?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Head/Comparison/Tuning Sound Files: where are they?

I think this is a fantastic idea. I for one do not have the money to buy a bunch of different heads just for the purpose of trying them all out. The sounds can be described but that doesnt do justice to the sound at all as one persons take of the description may be totally different than anothers. If we use actual sound files, they could be slightly different depending on the wood and drum construction but imo it gives a better idea of sound than just a verbal description.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a job for Bob Gatzen. :D If anyone could offer do a controlled setting test with various heads at different tensions, it's him.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Trouble is Gatzen would only use Evans and then, too, compression, as he does to make all his videos!
    I made mine by holding my 12" tom 3' from my Mac's built-in mic and recording me hitting it for 30 sec. Went back into the Audacity file and added some bass to it to make it sound the way I heard it. So I did doctor it a little. Cut the excess time out and saved it. Had to turn it into a .mov/mp4 file since flickr wouldn't accept mp3s for some reason.

User Info Menu

I don't think compression would matter much as long as the dials all stayed the same for each head. Then you could perceive the differences in each had, compressed or de essed.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

what does compression actually do to the sound of the drums? im not to familiar with recording and EQing and all that other stuff but its talked about alot so im very curious

User Info Menu

usually compression is used to make the drums bigger and clearer ..in some cases quieter ..depends on the application and what you need to make the most of the sound

ever wondered why commercials are louder on tv than the regular programs ..?
    this is because advertising company's use radical expensive compressors and other processors to make the most of the volume

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    usually compression is used to make the drums bigger and clearer ..in some cases quieter ..depends on the application and what you need to make the most of the sound

ever wondered why commercials are louder on tv than the regular programs ..?
    this is because advertising company's use radical expensive compressors and other processors to make the most of the volume
    That makes sense I always wondered how the advertising on tv where so damn loud and I hate them LOL Maye there is something available for us to install on our tv's that would automaticly reduce or raise the volume to compensate for those nasty loud commercial.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That makes sense I always wondered how the advertising on tv where so damn loud and I hate them LOL Maye there is something available for us to install on our tv's that would automaticly reduce or raise the volume to compensate for those nasty loud commercial.
    some new tvs have dynamic audio settings ...i think this balances it out a bit