Thread: Overhead choice - durability

User Info Menu

Default Overhead choice - durability

I think I've read every mic post on this forum, but one nagging question remains. Which of the following (assuming you have personal or anecdotal experience with one or all of my choices) would you prefer to use live from a durability standpoint?

Rode NT5
    Oktava Mk12
    sE Electronics Se1

I've narrowed it down to these three but am open to other suggestions if there is something is arguably more rugged than those I've listed. Soundwise, I would be happy with any of them. They will be used for small bar venues where we sometimes get drunks joining us on stage or people up dancing in our faces.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Phil
    You can always tell a drummer...but you can't tell 'em much.

Stuff:

1975 Rogers Londoner V in Spanish Gold
    Sonor Force 3000 in need of refinishing
    5" and 6.5" Rogers Dynasonic COB snares
    Sabian, Amedia and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Overhead choice - durability

I will obviously prefer Oktava. I have had no problems with them, They are made russian military grade it seems when you pick them up. Super heavy and they can be easily modified.

User Info Menu

I've read a number of your posts regarding Oktava and am leaning towards them. Being a retired U.S. military-grade guy, I appreciate the Russian's build quality. I won't be modifying them, however, since it would cost an arm and leg to do it that way. I shudder to thnk of the shipping costs and customs duties from Russia to the U.S. back to Holland. :(

Thanks, both for your input, and for the the many posts you've done regarding recording and live sound! I'll continue looking for your perspective and knowledge.

Stuff:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words Phil. What I really like about them is the flat frequency response and when matched with a good tube preamp they sound wonderful in the overhead position.

User Info Menu

I like the nt4 ... Because its fixed x/y it's impossible to get it wrong ..

i have some raw audio if you want to hear a comparison ..pm me
    Last edited by itchie; 02-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Itchie makes a good point. I also love the X-Y position and reproducibility. The Oktava comes with cardioid, hyper cardioid, omni cardioid mic capsules which is good and bad. Options are always great but you can hang yourself a little. If you go with Oktava shoot a test with each capsule and decide which you like best and also know that it might be a different capsule in another venue.

User Info Menu

i dont know why i thought you where recording drums ...my bad

if you place the mic stands behind the kit i don't think you will have a problem with drunk dancers knocking over the stands ..

maybe a internal kick and clip on snare mic might be a better choice .....im sure just a kick mic might suffice in lots of venues

User Info Menu

I was figuring on placing the overheads in X-Y configuration, but had not thought of placing them behind me. And often times, as you say, a kick mic is enough, especially in small clubs. I frequently play withough mics. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Nucjd: I've seen the Oktave has a number of options regarding capsules covering diffrent patterns. I would probably go fo the simplest cardiod arrangement. A sort of "one-size-fits-all" would probably make life a lot simpler since we play different size and shaped venues. Besides, I would start losing capsules from the get-go.

Stuff:

User Info Menu

So wait - is this discussion about live miking, or studio miking? For live setups, color me crazy, but I don't see the need for anything but a basic set of overhead condensers. I have a set of Audix Fusion/F15 SD condensers - I paid something like $99for the pair from an online sale (normally selling at $109 for one, and $199 for a pair) and they are more than fine IMO. I've even fiddled around recording with them and thought they sounded decent enough. Another mic that looks oddly similar is the Electrovoice PL37 - it seems to review well enough.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I agree that you don't need to go that high end for live sound. The audix fusion series mics mentioned earlier would work, as would a pair of Audio Technica AT2021s/AT2041s or a 2022 (x/y mic).
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

iv had a good think about this

now im not sure if there is such a think as durable considerer mic...the small diaphragm mics will take impact better but its still not made like a sm58 ,they can take a hit

User Info Menu

Oktava.... Russian Military spec. The OP asked about certain microphones and durability. Not price. Hence my answer

User Info Menu

yeah yeah

"Russian accent" it can take upto 1 megaton emp .....

just kidding, im sure there great ...not a bad price too

User Info Menu

still seeing the issue as "crowd control" ,and this is why you want durability .....?

so i guess lots of places don't have a stage to play on ...i still think you will have no issue if you place the stand from behind the kit or just of to the side ...next to the hats ...etc

(double post...yep....i just did that)

User Info Menu

Itchie, you are cracking me up tonight! LOL.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the idea is live sound, for the most part, although I expect to use them for some rehearsal recording. I chose the three models listed in the first post due to reviews I've read, but wanted to hear from users. The suggestions for Audix Fusion mics are absolutely welcome. Problem is, I seldom see Audix being used in Holland, although they are for sale. Pretty much my only experience with microphones is as a voice-over artist.
    I appreciate all the input as well as the suggestions for mic placement in small venues. So much to learn. Like thy say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can still swat him with a rolled up newspaper."

Stuff: