Thread: I Got The Hi-Hat Stand Blues...

User Info Menu

Default I Got The Hi-Hat Stand Blues...

My hi-hats close about 95% of the way when I step on my pedal. If I SMASH it really hard, it closes all the way and my foot cramps very quickly. My husband, who is an expert on all things mechanical, says the pedal is the problem, it is loose or something, and he messed with it, to no avail. I have a new hi-hat stand on my wish list, but in the meantime, any sage advice? I was thinking of putting a sock in there but I don't want to do anything to mess up my cymbals. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Got any pics? If we can see what is happening maybe we can be of more help.

Have you/your hubby tried disassembling the WHOLE stand to see if anything is catching or come loose etc...? What about raising or lowering the actual height of the stand? You know the lower section where the bottom of the hi-hat rests? Would raising or lower the level of this help? Also, your hi-hat stand should have a little screw/spring type thing under the bottom cymbal as well. If you adjust this, it will push one side of the cymbal higher or lower as preferred. Maybe you could use this to some sort of result for a better sound aswell. Just a couple fo ideas. Like I said though, some pics would be helpful to actually knowing what is happening and what you might be able to do about it (if anything) or a video clip even. Maybe you could even just repostion how far apart your hats are and bring them closer together when the hi hat is open, so the pedal won't need to travel as far to close anyway.

I know for me, my hats are actually very closed, even when open, there is only a slight little gap, just enough to create a crashy sort of wash sound when it is open (good for using double kick, so they are not too open sounding when I move my foot). Although i know alot of people like their hi-hats to open all the way so the cymbals aren't touching at all, to each their own I guess.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Geez, thanks for taking the time with all the technical advice. I will print this up and go over it with hubby. As far as pictures, or video for heaven's sake, my teenage daughter isn't here, she is the only one who knows how to use the digital camara. She has to set it up for me, it has all these settings...and upload? Please, I am really dumb, I would never figure THAT out.

User Info Menu

You should give yourself SOME credit - if you can figure out drums (4 limb co-ordination, timing, rhythm, patterns, listening to what your playing thinking what your gonna play next, listening to the other instruments etc...) I'm sure you could figure out how to take a couple of pictures and stick 'em on here, just need someone to take the time to actually show you how, run you through a couple of times, that's all.

But, have a look and see what you can do, and then get your daughter to give you a hand in getting us some pics to look at so we might be able to be more helpful. Hell, if you tell me what sort of camera you have (Kodak, Sony, etc...) and even maybe a model number I could probably give you a basic rundown on here.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

did you try lowering the clutch?
    Last edited by eggman; 07-08-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina View Post
    I was thinking of putting a sock in there but I don't want to do anything to mess up my cymbals.
    Drummina, this gives a whole new meaning to "Put a sock in it!"
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Drummina, this gives a whole new meaning to "Put a sock in it!"

User Info Menu

Erm, this happened to my hi-hat this morning...
    What I found out was that the actual part of the hi-hat that goes up and down with the pedal had been unscrewed somehow from the pedal. This meant that there was nothing to stop the hi-hat pedal from going all the way down when enough force was applied to it.
    I unscrewed everything so that I could see what I had to screw back in, reassembled my hi-hat, hey presto! Everything worked fine...I know I can't explain it very well, but I'm tired >_<
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I just got back from vacation. My daughter broke the digital camera and was hiding it! Anyways, my son is a guitar player and doesn't know too much about drumming, but he looked at it and notice that that last little bit presses down these little cushions, like fabric washers sort of, on the top of my hi-hat. Can I remove some of that cushioning? There are four little fabric washer things on there. There are none on the bottom. Did I even put the dumb thing together right? Also, the little adjustment thing on the bottom was uneven, it is better now too but still needs to be smashed a bit to close all the way.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Drummina, you've put all the felt washers on top, when at least one needs to be below. I'll bet that fixes the problem, although, my guess is that you've already got it figured out by now. Tell your son he has a good eye!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

My son is the best. I will go try it and report back...

User Info Menu

All the fabric washers are attatched. I took the top off and found a screw that wasn't screwed in, it went on the bottom of the top piece and held the fabric things tight, it is still not perfect but much better. I think I can live with this...

User Info Menu

Drummina, I'm confused. By the top piece, I am assuming that you are talking about the metal piece known as the clutch. I could go through everything to make sure that you have everything in the right place, but Pearl has basic hi-hat assembly instructions on the web that I think might be useful to you, so here it is:

http://www.pearldrum.com/education/howto/how0108.html

Hope that provides some help to figure it all out.

User Info Menu

Oh! I had it wrong. Thanks for that. I will try it...

User Info Menu

You're welcome, Drummina. Good luck! Let us know if it solves the problem.

User Info Menu

Okey-dokey, it is much better. Thank you, that link helped, I also seem to be missing one piece, which I wouldn't have known, so that may solve it completely. Thanks for your help!

User Info Menu

I'm glad it helped, Drummina. I know you'd do the same for me!

User Info Menu

Sure thing PB.

User Info Menu

Sounds like the hi-hat blues have been replaced by a hi-hat grin!! Go for it, Drummina!!

User Info Menu

Luckyly ive never had any hardware problems despite having a very cheap kit. All the hardware on my kit has been surprisingly solid.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the thing about the hi-hat, though, is that it comes like every other piece of hardware - without instructions. That was a little confusing when I was starting out!