Thread: Which snare head might I use for a darker sound?

User Info Menu

Default Which snare head might I use for a darker sound?

Hello all,
    I'm a newbie to this forum, so I greatly appreciate any direction you guys might give me. I hope I'm posting in the most appropriate thread.

I'm about to record a track with a very ominous and low-tuned snare part that mirrors an aggressive and thumping fingerpicked acoustic guitar's rhythm. It is a very dynamic snare part, with rolls, accented beats, and some syncopation. My problem is that I can't decide what sort of snare head I should buy to get the right sound. I want to be able to tune the snare as low as possible and maintain a dark earthy warm timbre, although adjectives such as that are overly objective. The drum I've decided to use is a 14"x6.5" hammered steel snare. I thought I might like the sound of a Remo Renaissance Powerstroke 3, although I cannot seem to find any samples of what it might sound like, especially tuned low. I'm wondering if a 2-ply head, such as Evans Onyx, might facilitate the lower tuning better and might help give me a darker sound. Two ply heads I observe are primarily intended for heavier playing, and this being a folk song, the snare head will not be abused by hard hitting. As I said, it's a very dynamic part. Do you guys have any recommendations or advice for me?

Many thanks,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which snare head might I use for a darker sound?

hey welcome to the forum

"mirrors an aggressive and thumping fingerpicked acoustic guitar's rhythm"

i think a woody maple snare would be best ..even without the snares on

User Info Menu

looks like I am following you around tonight itchie. Promise I am not stalking . Spoke with my brother (recording engineer) about your question today. In a typical studio engineer view he said he does not care what you track with. He would just drop your track a few notes and match the guitar you are trying to go after. Then he would drop a reverb plate on your snare track. That being said I am currently tracking something similar and I am using my Maple Pork Pie just like itchie said and I am getting very good results with it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. I thought I might want to use a wooden snare, but this is the largest snare at my disposal and the others I messed with don't sound right at all. I have thought about tuning down the snare digitally, but it's such a central point to the track that I didn't want to cheat too much with it. Also, It being a very folky song, I wanted to keep things as natural sounding as possible, although I may end up cheating after I have the track recorded if it improves the sound of it. I wanna have the snare sounding as close as possible to the sound I want on the recording. I know for a fact that the head on the snare right now is totally wrong for the track, so I at least intend on getting something closer to the sound I'm looking for. Does a 2 ply head, in fact, make it easier to tune a drum lower, or is it just my imagination? I'm afraid, though, that two plies will make it sound dead, since I won't be hitting the drum too hard.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

You gotta get the African American one!

(hey, welcome to Drum Chat!)

User Info Menu

Hah, yes. Very nice. Are you, by any chance, referring to the Evans Onyx?

Also, itchie, by woody maple snare, did you mean the PDP Woody Maple Snare? That is a very nice looking drum. I wish I could afford more gear, but unfortunately the album I'm working on broke the bank several times...and a perfectionist such as myself must realize that he cannot have the most appropriate gear for every application. I'm a maximizer and I cannot afford to buy any more gear if I will ever be able to change the heads on my drums ever again.

Thanks for all the welcoming wishes, guys.

User Info Menu

woody as in contextual tone ....

for a steel snare i would suggest a dot or the pwrstoke3 ... just remember the bigger the drum doesn't always mean lower pitch

sometimes you need to tune higher to get a nice sound out of bigger drums

User Info Menu

2 ply heads have a lower tuning range, yes. They are not as open sounding and sensitive as a 1 ply head however. What it will do for you to use a 2 ply is allow you to tune lower, and depending on which 2 ply head you use it may have some sustain cut out of it by way of dampening methods such as rings, dots, oil between plies, etc.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat solomnos!

The Evans Genera Dry head might be just what you are looking to get. It is a single ply head with a control ring floating under the head to control overtones. In addition, it has a series of small holes around the edge of the head to further control overtones, and lessen the sustain.

You might check out the Evans site and look at the various snare heads. They'll even give you some comparison sound files to help you make up your mind.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks again, guys. Lots to consider, as always.

User Info Menu

I know i'm late but i gotta throw in another vote for the Evans genera dry. I have one of those on one of my snares at all times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    I know i'm late but i gotta throw in another vote for the Evans genera dry. I have one of those on one of my snares at all times.
    ...have to agree.....when my other snare heads are due for a change, they will all have Evans Genera Dry heads

User Info Menu

Yes Genera HD for me on my Sensitone ( steel) Aquarian T100 textured on Slingerland ( steel) and EC2 Frosted with reverse dot on my MCX ( maple) these are all great heads but the Genera is my best.

User Info Menu

I've played the EC with reverse powerdot, and after having switched to the genera HD dry, I have no idea why I wasted my time on the EC.. It has woken up my maple snare and brought a much fuller tone without choking it. That was a big thing with the EC it choked the crap out of it, and now the HD makes her sing

User Info Menu

i have to agree about the ec on the snare... i've used the ec2s and ec resos on my toms and been fairly happy with the sound so i assumed the snare would be the same, and i was disappointed. but that's the only time i can think of that evans has let me down haha