Thread: How would I record electronic drums?

User Info Menu

Default How would I record electronic drums?

I have had an electronic drum set now (for my moms place, Ive been using a practice pad for a while now) I have thought about trying to record them, and reading through the manual and realizing there was a MIDI out on the back of the module, I figured the first thing I would need is a MIDI to USB cable to plug in to my computer. Luckily my friend happened to have one, so now I have it, and some shareware recording software. I have tried to record (by simply pressing the add track, and record buttons, but when I try to play back nothing happens. Randomly, the bar that shows the sound level will spike, but it is at regular intervals, not in response to my playing.

Any help is appreciated!
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Default Re: How would I record electronic drums?

Easiest way to record electronic drums is headphones out on your kit to line in on your computer.

User Info Menu

Hey Fifty. MIDI is a mapping language and it has to be assigned to a sound file as well as velocity mapping. The way you are describing your hook up you will not get any sound out just midi notes to track. That being said you are not getting that as well based on your post. Therefore make sure your MIDI through selection is activated in your software which will allow the midi notes to be tracked and sent to other software like BFD2 which will play a drum sound and record it to track ( in MIDI of course) which will be played back through the software. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by nucjd; 02-16-2012 at 07:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    I have had an electronic drum set now (for my moms place, Ive been using a practice pad for a while now) I have thought about trying to record them, and reading through the manual and realizing there was a MIDI out on the back of the module, I figured the first thing I would need is a MIDI to USB cable to plug in to my computer. Luckily my friend happened to have one, so now I have it, and some shareware recording software. I have tried to record (by simply pressing the add track, and record buttons, but when I try to play back nothing happens. Randomly, the bar that shows the sound level will spike, but it is at regular intervals, not in response to my playing.

Any help is appreciated!
    first- check you have the correct and up to date drivers ..

second- make sure the DAW can see the midi device
    ,then make sure you are transmitting in the correct midi channel both computer and drum kit , then if you can lower the midi latency .(if you dont have a beastly computer then you will be limited to how low it can go)

third -make sure you have a midi track open in the daw to tramit to and its routed from the correct midi channel , make sure it has a vst etc, virtual device in this channel

fourth -make sure your drums are transmitting correct notes (depends on the vts)...eg snare is c , first tom c#, second tom d

User Info Menu

lets say I want to play a cover and record it. I have to play the song from winamp or something from my laptop into my headphones and then play the drums overtop of the song.. but then that all has to go into my latop and be recorded....using what recording program in windows??

I have roland Dt-4kx2 set

thanks