Thread: Pearl Birch Snare

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Birch Snare

Does anyone have any experience with Pearl snare drums in Birch? If so, have you compared them specifically to a MMX, or a Pearl Reference snare?
    Last edited by dugdrums; 02-16-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
    DRM>

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Birch Snare

Quote Originally Posted by dugdrums View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Pearl snare drums in Birch? If so, have you compared them specifically to a MMX, or a Pearl Reference snare?
    Hey DugDrums, welcome to DC.

I have a 14x5.5 Pearl Masters Studio Birch Snare. I've banged on a MMX at GC before, but never played out with one and I"ve never played on a Reference snare. The Masters Birch that I have sounds amazing. I mostly play my 14x6 DW Collectors Maple snare most of the time for gigs, but I will go to the Pearl Masters from time to time depending on the venue. The Maple will give you slightly more low end sound vs. Birch. The Birch however will give you a harder or brighter sound compared to Maple. It will be your preference. If there's anything else you want to ask, feel free to do so.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Beautiful snare DrummerD!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thanks Russ, it sounds as good as it looks.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Yes, that is a beautiful drum. Thanks!
    DRM>

User Info Menu

I banged on a pearl birch at gc one time and it was awesome, the only downside was it was way out of my price rang of like 150$

User Info Menu

Beautiful snare drum DrummerD
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Awesome!

doctor dirt Guest

I played Birch shells for a long time (Eames & YRC) I prefer those brands over Pearls Birch but I do like Pearls Maple and especially the MHX. (african mahogany) Not sure why the Pearl Birch doesn't sound as good as the Eames or RC's but it doesn't, seems softer and the attack isn't as out front I guess. The Pearl MMX is an older style shell that I like alot!! Their 4ply with rerings can get very loud with single ply heads but not loose its character. Very full in tonality and more than capable of a wide tuning range. The Reference I've only touched a few times and never gigged with so I'm not sure other than its relationship to a 6ply MCX if its a maple Refer. and I think the Refer. snares are Maple. I do try different rims on all drums because the Masters line and Refer. has pretty heavy master casts and some drums can be chocked out a little with them. The Pearl Super Hoop is a good 2.3 rim and often sounds better than the heavy dies. I know players that put a die on the bottom and a 2.3 on the batter and get a great sound. Every drum is different even the ones within the same brand and model! Doc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Awesome!
    What they said. But I'll add...

Stunning!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by dugdrums View Post
    Yes, that is a beautiful drum. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    What they said. But I'll add...

Stunning!
    Thanks everyone.

After seeing a couple of these posts yesterday, it inspired me to go and practice using this snare for a couple hours.
    "it is what it is"