Thread: Drumming Books for Novice

User Info Menu

Default Drumming Books for Novice

I am a novice drummer taking regular lessons for several months now. My question is about recommended books for begginers. I am currently using Rothman's minibook for drumming but I have no idea if this is a standard book for teaching drumming or is it adequate or complicated for a begginer. Any opinions or experiences with this book? thanks.

User Info Menu

Hi, welcome to the board. My first book was Rothman's 'Basic Drumming' which was ideal. My teacher recommended it and I learnt so much from that book..it covers almost everything you need to know. I still learn use that book and remember my teacher telling me that drummers who have been drumming for years also look back at that book. He also said that it is important to always go back to basics from time to time.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the insight. I am glad to know that it is a good book because there are times that I get tired of the sooo many exercises and not really sure if they are really useful. I have to say that I have encountered some of them in the pieces I try to play.

User Info Menu

Cool. What pieces are you working on at the moment?

User Info Menu

Oh just simple ones like Taking Care of Business, Hotel California, Back in Black, Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Barracuda, and Sultan of Swing. The last 2 are a bit difficult for me but I try to learn it because my son likes the guitar part and would like to jam whenever I have a free time. I could do it technically but my problem is I get lost and confused while reading the music sheet. Do you memorize the entire piece?

User Info Menu

I can read music a bit, however, i find it easyer to listen to the piece a few times. And if it really is a easy piece itll probably be very much the same all the way through.

User Info Menu

I have minimal to zero ability to play it by ear. I do listen to the music a few times to get the rhythm which usually corresponds to the music sheet, practice it several times until it sounds like it, and then play along with the music. If I hear two sets of drum rhythms (which usually I do) I just keep working on it.