Thread: Painting my old set

User Info Menu

Default Painting my old set

Hey guys I got a new gretsch a while ago to replace my new ludwig and now my gretsch is all miced up and i decided to take the plastic finish of my ludwig and now im about to sand it down and but i nice finish on it and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a cool simple design to put on it, thanks

drums-rock Guest

Fade raven black looks quite nice or blue!

User Info Menu

Do something original and outrageous...something that will make everyone look at your kit in awe.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I was just about to make a new post asking about taking off a wrap thats on my drums but this topic fits well.

I haven't even attempted to try and take it off yet but does it just come of fairly easily after you get underneath it or did you do something special to get yours off. I'd be taking the wrap off of a crappy drum set so I'm not to worried if something bad happens but would still like to know of a proper way to do it, if there is one.

User Info Menu

Clear oil ???
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I am refinishing a Tama swingstar kit I will post pics when they are done but do something totally original I am doing a crackle laquer the kit will be blue with cracks in it and inside the cracks will be white and a gloss shine

User Info Menu

Leeman, I'll look forward to seeing that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

get someone really artistic to do graffiti or something on it

User Info Menu

I reckon just do a flat colour that no one else has... I always stop in awe of bright green kits for some reason.

If you're going to put graphics or flames on the kit, you have to be careful that they don't end up looking really cheesey.

User Info Menu

...or maybe you could make them look like they are made of cheese!

User Info Menu

i love the cheese idea :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I've always wanted to make a set with a star spangled kinda theme using red white and blue. Think it would look cool and patriotic too....(for an American drummer)
    all the best...

User Info Menu

i like the cheese idea. yellow cheese with holes, and a bass drum logo head with a pic of a mouse coming out of a hole.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've always wanted to make a set with a star spangled kinda theme using red white and blue. Think it would look cool and patriotic too....(for an American drummer)
    all the best...
    i saw an accrylic kit advertised somewhere like that. pretty cool.

User Info Menu

or you could get some really funky patterned wallpaper and wrap it with that...

User Info Menu

That sounds pretty cool Funky

User Info Menu

you should stain it, it would look really classy and cool

User Info Menu

Cool

Even Today I'll Come Across People Who Have Seen Me Play Somewhere In My Vast Travels And They Say
    "Dont You Have A Chrome Set Of Drums With Frogs All Over Them?"
    YES...YES I DO
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Funny, before reading this thread I decided to unwrap my 10" tom, a lot of work that is quite easy but I must stress the LONG part. Though it does seem worth it, I was re skinning it and expected to see red sparkle when I was tuning it and looked in amazement of the natural color.

I'm a big sucker for natural finishes. Either that or my white on black hardware dream kit.

User Info Menu

I can't recall if I posted this before...I have a mixed set..some had wraps & some had a vinyl black tolex.....the tolex was a real job to remove , mostly having to use chemicals to remove the glue residue, but the "normal" shiny plastic type wrap was easy to remove. one drum had real thick sparkle stuff like fiberglass that was a challenge and wanted to catch fire when using the heat gun......all in all it is very easy to do...it is just time consuming removing the hardware. The most challenging part by far was removing the vent hole....take your time with that if you are going to remove, watch the outside edges and don't get rammy......I ended up finding a vinyl wallpaper pre-glued material that has a grained leather look ($30 ), and from a distance looks like stained wood....have received lots of positive feedback so far....when I am set up I will post pictures....I guess my point is that if your kit needs a make over don't be afraid to do-it-yourself....
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of time... go to www.rockenwraps.com and check out what they have. Pretty reasonable, cool designs and super easy to install. If you paint them, you'll have multiple layers including the clear whereas with RW's you'll do the wrap, drill the holes, reinstall the hardware and DONE. And it will all be consistent. Good luck!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of time... go to www.rockenwraps.com and check out what they have. Pretty reasonable, cool designs and super easy to install. If you paint them, you'll have multiple layers including the clear whereas with RW's you'll do the wrap, drill the holes, reinstall the hardware and DONE. And it will all be consistent. Good luck!

Stix
    I would agree, unless you are willing to put out a fairly substantial investment in some quality automotive finishes which include base (color) clear coat, reducer, hardeners activator's and spray it in a booth and then color sand it and polish it. You will get a much more professional look with Roken wraps and it is easily changed when you are tired of it and want something else. Any more, automotive finishes have become ridiculously expensive for the hobbyist. I used to paint a lot of Race Cars, Boats and Street Rods as a hobby and now because of environmental laws etc. It is almost out of reach for most people that dabble in it. I would be willing to bet just to purchase the materials to paint that kit you would have more invested than the kit is worth. That is provided you want a really quality job, that looks like the finishes on high end kits.