Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Drummers Important?!?!?

User Info Menu

Default Are Drummers Important?!?!?

I'm in an argument with a guy from my school right now about the importance of drummers. I was in a Jam Band with him and because of my tight schedule, I can't play with them anymore. I recemended some other drummers in our area and he said that they weren't good enough for what he needed. (This statement got me extra mad, because, no offense to him, but he's not the best Bassist around either.

So Here's the rest of our convo: (His name is Rob)

Me: Well then I guess you'll be an acoustic show, Rob if you don't have an open mind about this.

Rob: Well. In all onisty you don't need a drummer unless you have the right one lol.

Me: To make the music u want you need a drummer, Rob. It doesn't matter how good the talent is, the drummer is what holds a band together, the drums can make or brake a song. So don't go saying you don't need a drummer. A drummer is ONE of the MOST important person in a band.

Rob:
    You really don't need a drummer aha. For any sort of recording there is very good programs for that. For performing as long as everyone has a sense of rythmn it's all good. Drummers do not contribute to the chord that make up a song.

So I was wondering what you guys were thinking.

Thanks so much!
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are Drummers Important?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    I'm in an argument with a guy from my school right now about the importance of drummers. I was in a Jam Band with him and because of my tight schedule, I can't play with them anymore. I recemended some other drummers in our area and he said that they weren't good enough for what he needed. (This statement got me extra mad, because, no offense to him, but he's not the best Bassist around either.

So Here's the rest of our convo: (His name is Rob)

Me: Well then I guess you'll be an acoustic show, Rob if you don't have an open mind about this.

Rob: Well. In all onisty you don't need a drummer unless you have the right one lol.

Me: To make the music u want you need a drummer, Rob. It doesn't matter how good the talent is, the drummer is what holds a band together, the drums can make or brake a song. So don't go saying you don't need a drummer. A drummer is ONE of the MOST important person in a band.

Rob:
    You really don't need a drummer aha. For any sort of recording there is very good programs for that. For performing as long as everyone has a sense of rythmn it's all good. Drummers do not contribute to the chord that make up a song.

So I was wondering what you guys were thinking.

Thanks so much!

First, can I punch this guy?

Second, you can't live without drummers, beers and bathrooms.

There are other ones, but I'll save them for the next idiot that says drummers aren't important.

User Info Menu

Or Women with beer. Can't live without them either.

Drummers are very important.

User Info Menu

It's not worth an argument. It's simply not important enough. He'll learn through his own experience how valuable drummers are. In the meantime, you're time is better spent in the practice room getting better.

User Info Menu

Tom says it best I think. Although I had to chuckle at your last comment Paradise- you're on a drummer's forum, what do THINK we're gonna say to those comments!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's not worth an argument. It's simply not important enough. He'll learn through his own experience how valuable drummers are. In the meantime, you're time is better spent in the practice room getting better.
    +1 Totally agree with this. He's yanking your chain, so the only way to not let it happen is to allow him his opinion and let the conversation end. When he's trying to stay with a static drum machine/program, rather than with a live drummer that can adjust to the rest of the band, then he'll suddenly realize the difference.

For now, though, you can't debate with a closed mind. It just ends up being a never ending argument.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    Or Women with beer. Can't live without them either.

Drummers are very important.

You can live without women. It won't be as much fun, but you will leave your mortal coil with your sanity intact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    Drummers do not contribute to the chord that make up a song.
    Yeah....until he comes across a number of drummers who also know their way around another instrument. Last time I had somebody say that to me, I wandered over to a nearby piano, asked him to play me the chords he was playing, asked him what key he was playing in, then proceeded to tell him two inversions of one basic chord he was playing, a variation of another chord he was chugging away at, then showed how no matter what chordal instrument you're on, smooth chord voicing in conjunction with a melody line will give a better sound than blocky sounding riffs any day. Then asked him if he'd like me to write it down so that he would 'get it.' Told him I knew next to nothing about this stuff six months before I did my music course, but at least I pulled my finger out and studied it (and am still working on it). So there's nothing better than to give those kind of arrogant musicians a taste of their own medicine back (or at least make it a little diplomatic so that their own guilty consciousness sets in, as you explain ever so politely and eruditely about suspended chords, phrasing, modes and so forth), because then they'll think twice about saying something as stupid as us drummers not being important.

Definitely, I do not suffer such fools gladly.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You can live without women. It won't be as much fun, but you will leave your mortal coil with your sanity intact.
    +1000 on that!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

first, can i punch this guy?
    +1
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    +2. This.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

It's like he's saying guitars and bass are more needed than drummers? Hahaha! Drummers are the heartbeat, of course you need them. Show me out of the best programs out there who can bring style, fill ideas, and also keep the beat as well as a real drummer can. I'd love to see a Dennis Chambers, Steve Gadd, Mike Johnston, or Simon Phillips do within even 1/1,000,000th of their ability. Also, can the program even sound natural and not sample ridden? A drum machine's "tracks" are good for practicing, but I wouldn't joke around and use that stuff live. Machines do not replace humans John Connor.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think just the fact that there are drum machines underscores how important drums are to music - that if you can't have a live drummer, you have to have at least something to fill that void. Ask your friend why there are no bass or guitar machines!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Classic

User Info Menu

Sorry, but the energy from the drummer is what drives the energy overal in a band. Without the drummer, there is simply no energy. How goes the drummer goes the band. No machine can duplicate that.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Sorry, but the energy from the drummer is what drives the energy overal in a band. Without the drummer, there is simply no energy. How goes the drummer goes the band. No machine can duplicate that.
    Well said. I will echo that and add that you cannot get the spirit, feeling, mood, emotion, nuances, creativity and dynamics out of any machine. True musicians and songwriters use drum machines as a reference or starting point but always employ a drummer to truly give life to the song.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I think this is hilarious coming from a bassist. As important as a bassist is, in my opinion, is the least important of a standard band. Seriously, unless the song is very bass-guitar oriented, do ever REALLY hear it?

User Info Menu

My point is...if the bassist misses a note or two, no one in the audience knows it. If a drummer misses a groove or has bad timing on a splash accent/crash, everyone knows it.

User Info Menu

I still want to punch him.

User Info Menu

A jam band with no drums? That just can't be right. I'm not really into that stuff, but I thought that the answer in that genre was more drums. Somebody's got to keep it together while the guitars and keys are doing all their goofy noodling.
    I've played out on bass, guitar, and drums over the years and it seems like saying that you're the guitar player gives you some sort of instant credibility with non/poor musicians that bass and drums don't. I think it's because lots of people think "hey, how hard can it be to count to four."
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

" hey, how hard can it be to count to four."

I'm still living in Jersey. We have a lot of people here who can count to 4, but they can't get past 10 unless they take their shoes off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    A jam band with no drums? That just can't be right. I'm not really into that stuff, but I thought that the answer in that genre was more drums. Somebody's got to keep it together while the guitars and keys are doing all their goofy noodling.
    I've played out on bass, guitar, and drums over the years and it seems like saying that you're the guitar player gives you some sort of instant credibility with non/poor musicians that bass and drums don't. I think it's because lots of people think "hey, how hard can it be to count to four."
    Agree. Yes, as drummers we are biased, but.... If jam band is still what he plans, a jam band without drums, or worse, with drum machine, does not sound like it would pack the house, or even the basement.

To sum it up: "Grrrrrrr."
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

There are good drummers and there are bad drummers. A good drummer can often have the ability to make a semi-talented band sound great. A bad drummer can make a talented band sound awful. I've seen it - most of us have. It's not even an argument - it's proven in most bars and clubs every night all over the world

User Info Menu

This one time .. .. at Jam band .. .. I wacked the bassist with his bass.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I think just the fact that there are drum machines underscores how important drums are to music - that if you can't have a live drummer, you have to have at least something to fill that void. Ask your friend why there are no bass or guitar machines!
    Actually, the great thing about my old Roland R-70 drum machine is that it does have four bass guitar sounds.....you can assign a full octave and a bit onto the 16 large buttons and do all sorts of things with them. I use this all the time when teaching over here. Being familiar with it, it's just as easy for me to step-write a walking bassline on it as it is to pop in a full drum part or a percussion track. Makes a great alternative to just playing along to a 1/4 note cowbell track.

Best thing to use to tell a silly bassist...."Oh yeah??? Try this bassline, it goes so well with my drum part, why can't you do it?
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 02-23-2012 at 04:36 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8