Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquarian Z100 Coated snare batter head

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Z100 Coated snare batter head

I have no idea how they would be for brushes cause I don't use them and never will. Maybe a Jazz player on the forum could tell you if they are ok for that.

User Info Menu

I would think brushes would snag on coating eventually, no matter what maker puts them out. You might have a bit more luck with different texture like smooth white, fiberskyn, or ebony.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ...I was wondering the same thing....if it's so smooth that it "stays" clean....you would think it would limit brushes just like the clears do?
    Just to clear this up a bit. The coating on this drumhead actually feels like sandpaper (think 150 grit) when you first take it out of the box. Once you put it on and stretch it, it does get a little smoother. If you are worried about using brushes on this head, worry no longer. It is the most expressive head that I have ever used in 30+ years of drumming. Brushes sound absolutely amazing on this head!

Seriously guys, whether you play with brushes, rutes, wood tipped or nylon tipped drumsticks this head is superb. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    Just to clear this up a bit. The coating on this drumhead actually feels like sandpaper (think 150 grit) when you first take it out of the box. Once you put it on and stretch it, it does get a little smoother. If you are worried about using brushes on this head, worry no longer. It is the most expressive head that I have ever used in 30+ years of drumming. Brushes sound absolutely amazing on this head!

Seriously guys, whether you play with brushes, rutes, wood tipped or nylon tipped drumsticks this head is superb. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    ...have a new snare on it's way in....sounds like I'll try an aquarian for the first time

User Info Menu

The Z 100 was my first Aquarian head and I am happy that I took the plunge and got one. No regrets. Aquarian rules in my book.

User Info Menu

The Z 100 was my first Aquarian head and I am happy that I took the plunge and got one. No regrets. Aquarian rules in my book.
    Hehe welcome to the Army!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This head is great... Right now I only have it on one of my snares, but when it is time to change them out, it will go on the majority of them. It is a very durable head, and it can last a really long time, especially if you have multiple snares like I do. On the snare that I use it on, I previously had a coated remo ambassador. I didn't lose any sound when I switched, but I gained a lot more durability. I actually like it better on that particular snare. It is slightly more controlled to me thatn a coated ambassador, but not so much as a controlled sound... just slightly. I love them.

I have had mine on a Yamaha Seamles brass 3.5x14 that gets heavy use, for about 6 months now, and it still looks close to brand new, with no change in sound from when I bought it. I swear by this head for snare drums, and my next drum head on my tom batters will be Aquarian Response II coated. I love the sound of those on toms.
    Last edited by dirtysticks; 04-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.

User Info Menu

***UPDATE****

I started this thread back in September of 2011. I just wanted to let everyone know that last Saturday night before my gig I changed out this head with a brand new Aquarian Textured finish snare batter (Z100 coating). That means that the head lasted me approx 9-9.5 months! Honestly it had lost none of it's coating. It was smooth in the middle where it was hit the most, but the coating was still intact. The reason I changed it out was because it had started to sound "dead" when thrying to play ghost notes. It just didn't have the sharpness that I wanted. Could I have still used it for rockin' out? Absolutely! It was rather dimpled when removed, but otherwise was in fine shape.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.......ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SNARE BATTER I HAVE EVER USED!!! BUY IT. BUY IT. BUY IT.

That is all.......
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I have, I have just over a year ago and still have it. Love this head on my steel snare lots of snap and crack. Very durable and the textured coating is amazing keeps nice an clean compared to the other rough surfaced heads. More and more drummers should try this head.