Thread: New Pearl MHP Kit

User Info Menu

Talking New Pearl MHP Kit

So I'm new to the forums, but what better way to introduce myself than by showing off?

I just recently sold my old drumset, an all birch Starclassic Performer I played for over a decade. I loved it, but it was time for something new. I was planning on getting a maple kit -- either a Starclassic Maple or a Pearl MCX -- when I found a brand new Pearl MHP Limited Edition kit from 2009! Only thirty of them (I think) were released in the US, but a drum shop in Maine had one still in their warehouse. Don't ask me how -- the rest sold out within weeks. It's #341 Red Mahogany Fade, and still in its boxes.

For those that don't know, it's four ply African Mahogany with 6 ply maple reinforcement rings. Tonally, pretty different from what I had, so I'm quite excited. The wood grain alone is shockingly gorgeous.

22" kick and 10", 12" and 16" toms. Just got it today, but still need a place to practice. As soon as it's set up, I'll post pictures (sorry to be such a tease...). Hopefully by next week...

Anyway, anyone have experience with either this exact kit, or any of the old MHX kits? I'm pretty sure the MHX's had the same ply configuration, with maybe different bearing edges? Mine has rounded 45s, I believe.
    Also, any Chicagoans know of really cheap practice spaces in the city?

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Pearl MHP Kit

Welcome to Drum Chat, MT80.

Great choice of drums. Get connected with an on line picture host like Photobucket or something and get some pictures up. Hurry, too. The forum members will be all over you until you post pictures.

Your drum set sounds incredible. I hope it's everything you are looking for in a new kit.

Enjoy your stay here at Drum Chat and don't be shy about posting and getting to know everyone.

Thank you for joining and sharing your drumming journey here.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Pics or it didn't happen
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deedubs! View Post
    pics or it didn't happen
    +1.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Must see pics

User Info Menu

Mahogany isn't as common as I feel it should be, it's darkness and focus is the sound of legend. I am a very big fan of the sound mahogany makes, and from what I can tell that is true African mahogany and not the less costly Philippine mahogany which should change it's name to lauan. Expect strong lows, a quick attack, and an overall fat sound. You won't have any problem with an overage of sustain here, but sooner or later you might want to try opening the kit up with warm heads. Enjoy one of the greatest treasures of the drum world my friend!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

NEED PICS! I'd love to see the old Starclassic too!

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with Pearl Mahogany cause they use true African Mahogany which is suppose to be the best in the world. Congrats and we want some pics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    Must see pics
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    NEED PICS! I'd love to see the old Starclassic too!
    Can't go wrong with Pearl Mahogany cause they use true African Mahogany which is suppose to be the best in the world. Congrats and we want some pics.

I warned him this would happen. You guys are on the ball.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Haha -- Bish, you were right!

I think I found a temporary practice space -- sort of a time share with three other drummers -- so I should have pics soon...hang in there!

Thanks for all the comments.

Russ -- yeah, it's real African Mahogany, just like the older MHX kits.

Marko -- I already sold the Starclassic Performers, but I'll try to find some old pics from gigs I played in high school. I'll miss the finish, a beautiful Indigo Blue...

Just ordered some protection racket cases today. Soon, soon, I'll be set up. Must...wait...a little...longer...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ManaTau80 View Post

I think I found a temporary practice space -- sort of a time share with three other drummers -- so I should have pics soon...hang in there!

Marko -- I already sold the Starclassic Performers, but I'll try to find some old pics from gigs I played in high school. I'll miss the finish, a beautiful Indigo Blue...

Just ordered some protection racket cases today. Soon, soon, I'll be set up. Must...wait...a little...longer...
    We can't wait to see pics! Oh yeah, and welcome to Drumchat!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! Looking forward to seeing that Red Mahogany Fade!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

What's the difference between MHP and MHX? Aren't they both the same design?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ --

They are the same, but I believe Pearl just called the limited edition kit MHP, in order to distinguish it from the MHX. Regardless, the specs are the same.
    I'm new to Pearl, so any diehard Pearl fanatics can correct me if I'm wrong.

User Info Menu

Do I hear an echo in here?

PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS

Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I am a die hard Pearl man and no correction needed cause I think you are right I will take your word for it. Enjoy them and oh YEAH welcome to DC ManaTau 80.

User Info Menu

Great, I hope you find a few. I have a Starclassic birch kit in charcoal silk wrap. I love those kits.

User Info Menu

Russ --

They are the same, but I believe Pearl just called the limited edition kit MHP, in order to distinguish it from the MHX. Regardless, the specs are the same.
    I'm new to Pearl, so any diehard Pearl fanatics can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Interesting business move. Most of the time when I see Pearl use the same first two letters, and a different third letter it usually denotes a different type of finish used(wrap, stain, lacquer, etc) but not so much an emphasis on whether it's a limited run or not. I do remember hearing about the MHX series, which I guess they scrapped along with the maple and birch premiums(MMP and BMP I believe they called them). As far as I know the only way you can even pray to replicate those specs via Pearl is through their Masterworks line, but you are in for a ride on the high dollar express should you take that on! Congrats on scoring a rare and wonderful kit, i'm sure those pics will come out great.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

doctor dirt Guest

I had one of the first "special edition" african mahogany kits and latter owned a beautiful MHX in the only finish you could have then which was #141. Its easily one of the very best kits I've owned or played. The 4ply thin shells resonant beautifully and if you want to open them up use 1 ply heads. I used Aq. SK 1 on the batter and the stock Pearl reso and didn't port it. I had a 16x22 and a speacially ordered 14x20 and that 20 kicked big!!!! Love those drums if I could find a 20 kick 10/12/14 (legs) that was priced fairly I'd buy it right now. Those drums and the brother MMX 4ply maple are wonderfull drums. The MHX can be tuned up high and your bottom never goes away thats the african mahogany that outshines any other wood in that respect. My current Premier Signia is very simular to the MMX and the Signia is slightly thinner and the undersized shells work great for an addition to the wide open tuning.

Good luck those drums are keepers, I wish I kept mine along with my original Eames Finetones (6ply N/A Birch), some kits just aren't worth selling. Most aren't worth buying hahahaha!!! Doc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Mahogany isn't as common as I feel it should be, it's darkness and focus is the sound of legend. I am a very big fan of the sound mahogany makes, and from what I can tell that is true African mahogany and not the less costly Philippine mahogany which should change it's name to lauan. Expect strong lows, a quick attack, and an overall fat sound. You won't have any problem with an overage of sustain here, but sooner or later you might want to try opening the kit up with warm heads. Enjoy one of the greatest treasures of the drum world my friend!
    + 1.

I had 1973 Ludwigs that were "Mahogany" finished but I'm certain the shells were maple...............loved that 18" floor tom and the 22" basses.
    Didn't care much for concert toms and the steel snare.

I don't have much knowledge about Pearl shells but I would really love to see (and hear) this mahogany kit.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)