Thread: Warranty?

User Info Menu

Question Warranty?

We're getting a new Yamaha electronic set, and I'm wondering whether the "protection plan" from Guitar Center is worth getting. My general rule of thumb is to get the protection for portable items, because they get more banged up, but not for stationary items. Well, drums get banged by design, so I'm wondering about electronic drums in general and Yamaha's in particular. Do they tend to need repairs or replacement parts in the first 2-3 years?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by doulos12 View Post
    We're getting a new Yamaha electronic set, and I'm wondering whether the "protection plan" from Guitar Center is worth getting. My general rule of thumb is to get the protection for portable items, because they get more banged up, but not for stationary items. Well, drums get banged by design, so I'm wondering about electronic drums in general and Yamaha's in particular. Do they tend to need repairs or replacement parts in the first 2-3 years?

Thanks.
    What is your primary purpose for the drums?
    If the kit is in relatively good hands it should be fine with the regular warranty they offer. But if it's a church and it's going to get used a lot by different people and transported ( by those who know what they are doing and those who don't) then you may want to get the extended warranty.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Good morning. I have a DTXtreme III and was surprised to learn that the Yamaha warranty was 2 years. I have had 2 fixes for my kit in that time. Yamaha weren't exactly prompt with the repairs but they were certainly no hassle either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicPearl View Post
    Good morning. I have a DTXtreme III and was surprised to learn that the Yamaha warranty was 2 years. I have had 2 fixes for my kit in that time. Yamaha weren't exactly prompt with the repairs but they were certainly no hassle either.
    If you had to get 2 fixes in two years how many more will you have in the future. Tells you alot about their product.

User Info Menu

I tend to buy extended warranty plans on anything electronic. With electronics, it's never really a matter of if something is going to break or need to be fixed or replaced, it's a matter of when, and especially when you have anything that might suffer any kind of abuse from being hit or jarred hard. I get extended warranty plans on electronics with my kids because of how hard they are on their electronics.

As an example, I can't tell you the number of iPods and X-Boxes that have been replaced thanks to warranty plans. My son had to replace his first iPod at least twice and IMO it was due to abuse suffered while getting hauled around in a back pack. His X-boxes? I can't even remember how many have been replaced. Initially it was due to design flaws, but when his last one went up (oddly, it was finally outside of the warranty plan - however, that was probably close to his 5th or 6th unit) it was due to it just being flat worn out from hours and hours of use.

Check the manufacturers warranty - if the GC warranty trumps that or makes it easier to get fixes or replacements, get it. Otherwise, just use the manufacturer warranty. I don't buy the GC warranty on cymbals - I just go through the maker, and I've only had to use it once.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    If you had to get 2 fixes in two years how many more will you have in the future. Tells you alot about their product.
    Could just be a defective model.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

It is unfortunate - I concede that. It doesn't alter that fact that it's a great product, though. I've used it a lot . Both fixes were after the first year. I would still buy again.

User Info Menu

It is unfortunate - I concede that. It doesn't alter that fact that it's a great product, though. I've used it a lot . Both fixes were after the first year. I would still buy again.
    Hopefully nothing else goes wrong with it after that, otherwise the "warranty" task falls on you and you have to replace it out of pocket.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I know a friend who has the DTXpress 111 and he has had problems with it breaking down on him during a gig. One was the crash cymbal and another was a tom pad. E-kits are not very reliable unless you live close to a electronic expert who can repair and get you the parts you ASAP. Unfortunatly my friend lives out in the country so this was a big issue for him having to send the parts away to get fixed. His kit was a couple of years old so the warranty was over. Had no problem with it till after the warranty expired. To make it short he decided to go for an accoustic kit. Did not mean any harm just telling you the facts of what happens with e-kits when they break.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hopefully nothing else goes wrong with it after that, otherwise the "warranty" task falls on you and you have to replace it out of pocket.
    Fingers crossed, eh