Thread: Leaving mics on drums

User Info Menu

Default Leaving mics on drums

Hi, Question: Is it alright to leave my mics on the drums when i am not using them? For instants playing without recording? Also thank you all for helping me with my overhead mic problem.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Leaving mics on drums

Hey drummerboy. I Leave my mics all around my kit all of the time. It helps tremendously when it is time to track as I am used to the mics being there and I am used to playing around them. That being said if you have a tendency to strike them then maybe you would want to put them away. but It won't hurt the to have them out and about.

User Info Menu

I put them away if i'm going to be away from the studio for awhile. It's not completely weatherproof in there so I tend to worry about the temperature affecting them long term. They aren't the most expensive mics, so I suspect they are a bit more susceptible to damage than higher end ones. If i'm using the room often though I will leave them set up, because it takes long enough of a time to bug me.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i leave mine on when im in the studio ..

User Info Menu

Leave mine on in safe, temp ok place. As said, helps you get or remain used to them on drums.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

It doesn't hurt the mics - they are designed to be able to withstand high sound pressure levels over a long period of time. I miked up my kit about a week ago and I've just left the mics on the drums because I'm not done tracking the stuff I want to record, but I haven't had the time to dig into it much this week or this weekend.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

i leave my mics on the drums all the time, and, i havent noticed the mics sounding any different...

if i took them off, they'd be in the same room, so
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

I don't have any mics yet. If I did I'd be afraid of hitting them with the sticks or them gathering dust. I suppose ( like nucjd said ) if you could work around them you may be able to maintain a thin profile providing protection with a thin layer of foam and a baggie rubberbanded around.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I keep mine on, just because it has taken me awhile to avoid them....kept hitting them, now I have them placed where I don't hit them as much. If I took them off, wouldn't think about it and have to "relearn" again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    I don't have any mics yet. If I did I'd be afraid of hitting them with the sticks or them gathering dust. I suppose ( like nucjd said ) if you could work around them you may be able to maintain a thin profile providing protection with a thin layer of foam and a baggie rubberbanded around.
    I don't worry about mics gathering dust, mainly because they don't have an expiration date - once you have them, you have them, whether you are using them much or not.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

The only mics I put away are my condensers. Fragile little things, and it says in the little manual that came with it that it should always be put away into the container (that came with it) back inside the plastic bag with the condenser end facing the moisture absorbing packet.
    So, reading that, I always put my condensers away. I don't have money to replace them if they break or get damaged because of moisture.
    But of course, I'm in a basement, and the temperature fluctuates along with the moisture. So I probably would feel ok about leaving them out if they were in a moisture and temperature controlled environment.
    By with my dynamics I'm just fine with leaving them out. Unless it was an expensive dynamic, then I would put it away somewhere safe.
    Just my opinion.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I keep mine on, just because it has taken me awhile to avoid them....kept hitting them, now I have them placed where I don't hit them as much. If I took them off, wouldn't think about it and have to "relearn" again.
    ...just to caveat that....my mics were extremely reasonable....if they were more expensive, I may remove them