Thread: Hybrid kits

User Info Menu

Default Hybrid kits

I have played both acoustic and electric kits (Roland V's, the TD 20 and the TD 30). But in the past couple years I have seen acoustic/electric hybrid kits come out. Pearl put one out a couple years back and now I see ddrum has one.

My local drum shop doesn't have any hybrids and I haven't gone to GC here to see if they have one. I'm interested to know how they feel and sound. Anybody have any experience with these?
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hybrid kits

Hybrids as in A/E converted kits? I did that to my kit, it's kind of nice. A little of the best of both worlds. It feels like a regular drumkit, but it has the advantages of electronics too. Less audience noise, sounds to play with, always in tune, the sound you got last time is the sound you get every time(consistency), you can enhance it with software, etc. It doesn't exactly feel like I lost an acoustic kit in order to play an electronic, and that's what I love about it. It's almost as though nothing has changed as far as playability, but getting used to the hi hat controller was one thing. Since I mainly had been an acoustic kit player for a long time there was a slight learning curve, but I think I got into it without too much trouble. I would like another kit to keep as an acoustic though, for when situations call for one. But overall I don't have many complaints. As far as prebuilt hybrids, I can't say whether they are good or not. They seem like a waste of money when I can make the same thing for a lot less cash, that works as efficiently but with a better response and aesthetic.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ive played a Pearl E-Pro. Looks and feels like an acoustic kit. In fact put a set of heads on it and its a set of Exports. I liked the kit but they were way to exspensive.

User Info Menu

The DDrum one is kind of interesting. I've seen it onsale for like $550. That's for a 6 piece kit (2 up 2 down) with built in DDrum Pro triggers. The triggers are usually $200 and muffling is maybe another $100, so basically you are getting a poplar 6 piece kit for $250. Even at normal price it's like $335 for the kit, but you are getting the triggers internally mounted with XLR's built in to the shells for plug in. I believe they come with regular heads that are muffled so that there is some sound, but not much. So they aren't really overcharging for the acoustic drum part of it.

I've thought about it instead of converting one of my own since it's a tidy set up. Would still need e-cymbals and it is more $ than just buying triggers and something to muffle the heads. Of course I could go out and buy a used kit for $200 that I know is decent quality and set it up myself. Might not be as "tidy" as the internally mounted triggers, but might be safer in terms of quality control.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ive played a Pearl E-Pro. Looks and feels like an acoustic kit. In fact put a set of heads on it and its a set of Exports. I liked the kit but they were way to exspensive.
    I hear ya. But, compared to the $5000.00 price tag on a new Roland V the $2600.00 on the Pearl is much more appealing. Like Russ said and like a few others have mentioned in some other threads, converting a mid range acoustic may be the better way to go.

I was just wondering what others opinions on the "already made" A/E kits were.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    The DDrum one is kind of interesting. I've seen it onsale for like $550. That's for a 6 piece kit (2 up 2 down) with built in DDrum Pro triggers. The triggers are usually $200 and muffling is maybe another $100, so basically you are getting a poplar 6 piece kit for $250. Even at normal price it's like $335 for the kit, but you are getting the triggers internally mounted with XLR's built in to the shells for plug in. I believe they come with regular heads that are muffled so that there is some sound, but not much. So they aren't really overcharging for the acoustic drum part of it.

I've thought about it instead of converting one of my own since it's a tidy set up. Would still need e-cymbals and it is more $ than just buying triggers and something to muffle the heads. Of course I could go out and buy a used kit for $200 that I know is decent quality and set it up myself. Might not be as "tidy" as the internally mounted triggers, but might be safer in terms of quality control.
    Good points.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

$500-$1000 conversion vs a $6000 high end e-kit.. Decisions decisions.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm in the process of converting my PDP LX kit to an e-kit. Pearl is now offering the Tru-trac heads used in their e-pro live kits as a separate purchase, in two different packages, still an expensive route to go though.

EPAD-25S contains the following:

TTP-B Bass Tru Trac Electronic DrumHead
    TTB-10 10" Tom Tru Trac Electronic DrumHead
    TTP-12 12" Tom Tru Trac Electronic DrumHead
    TTP-16 16" Tom Tru Trac Electronic DrumHead
    TTP-14 14" Snare Tru Trac Electronic DrumHead
    NDA-1 Non-Drill Adapter (x 5)
    CH1JB 16" TRS Cable
    DZC15 15" Long Cable
    52MM Tension Rods (x30)
    63MM Tension Rods (x30)
    NP485 Velcro Tape (x10)