Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is better Basswood or poplar?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which is better Basswood or poplar?

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    So according to this, the ideal would be a mixed kit. Say...Mahog bass drums, small toms birch, med toms, Maple, and large toms Mahog, birch snare.

all the best...
    Worked for Pearl!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s_tic_k View Post
    thats now my goal, i have my eyes on a yamaha stage custom birch for $400, pretty much the best deal ive seen yet and its raven black so itll look sweet with my Paistes :D
    Now your talking. I'm not a fan of Yamaha, but the choice in wood is great and the price seems good.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Nice kit especially for $400.

User Info Menu

I've been eyeballing this little basswood kit from Sonor for a while... when Matt Eder ( of the Matt Eder Power Trio ) did this little demo I was hooked.. especially for $339. typical 14" snare, 10" mounted tom, 14" floor tom.. and a 16" kick. I Like the black/gray sparkle wrap even.
    Matt says this vid was done with all the original stock heads.

Last edited by davewilson; 03-06-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

So, what about BEECH? After more research, I'm almost positive my Rockstars have a Beech inner ply. I have no idea what constitutes the rest of the shell, but regardless- how does Beech fall in sonic and tonal qualities compared to Bass and Poplar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    So, what about BEECH? After more research, I'm almost positive my Rockstars have a Beech inner ply. I have no idea what constitutes the rest of the shell, but regardless- how does Beech fall in sonic and tonal qualities compared to Bass and Poplar?
    I know the original Tama Rockstars were 9 ply basswood. When the Rockstars name was resurrected for use as an exclusive line for GC/MF/M123 the birch/basswood shell from the Superstar line was used...though the Rockstars shells didn't appear to exhibit the same fit/ finish ( I owned both so it was an easy comparison).
    A few years passed... The Superstar went to an all birch shell and the Rockstars at GC lost both the Tom mounts and the lugs that distinguished the Rockstars.
    There was a period during the original Rockstars production run where the lacquer finished Rockstars customs had an outer ply that was more of a veneer then a structural part of the shell... But in all the years I was in the Tama forums I never heard of beech being used with Rockstars.... But I never like to say never.

User Info Menu

Bam :

That black 6pc is my exact kit.

User Info Menu

Dave, I own a Sonor Safari kit and it is a killer little set. I still have the stock heads on mine. They sound fine to me. I can throw it in the car and be set up when I get to the gig in 10 minutes. I carry them in bags and a small trap case with 3 Ludwig 1400 flat base stands and a flat base hi-hat and Sonor pedal. One cymbal bag. The bass drum and toms sound phenomanal. Even the snare is nice. Great kit for a small lounge gig or Jazz gig. I have pics in my profile.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Bam

That black 6pc is my exact kit.
    That's why I never say never... but that is also the second of four incarnations of Rockstars ... even predating the suspension mounts.
    The series of Rockstars that would later become Tama's best selling line (3rd incarnation?) had a clip-on version of the Starcast mounts, the newer style tom holder, different lugs, different shells, different bass drum hoops... pretty much nothing in common with the series in that ad... except it was made by Tama and called Rockstars.
    This is what happens when names get re-used.. you end up with totally different drums with the same name. That's what keeps it interesting I spose

The version before yours had a "zola-coat" on the shell interior instead of a beech ply.... what the heck was that??? LOL! I have that catalog directory for Tama bookmarked... fun to browse through.. brings back memories of kits I thought were so cool back in the 70's and 80's.
    Last edited by davewilson; 03-06-2012 at 11:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    Dave, I own a Sonor Safari kit and it is a killer little set. I still have the stock heads on mine. They sound fine to me. I can throw it in the car and be set up when I get to the gig in 10 minutes. I carry them in bags and a small trap case with 3 Ludwig 1400 flat base stands and a flat base hi-hat and Sonor pedal. One cymbal bag. The bass drum and toms sound phenomanal. Even the snare is nice. Great kit for a small lounge gig or Jazz gig. I have pics in my profile.
    I knew someone here had one but I couldn't remember who it was.. thanks! Going to check out the pics!

User Info Menu

And actually I think my Rockstars are a "facelift" of the initial iteration from 1991, which were all basswood.

Still curious about what the shell is constructed of. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly under the wraps- I'll know in a few weeks!

Back to my initial question though- how does beech compare? I would like to think it's close to basswood in sound- warm and deep.

User Info Menu

And actually I think my Rockstars are a "facelift" of the initial iteration from 1991, which were all basswood.

Still curious about what the shell is constructed of. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly under the wraps- I'll know in a few weeks!

Back to my initial question though- how does beech compare? I would like to think it's close to basswood in sound- warm and deep.
    Yes.. yours is a second generation/iteration.. with the first style of long lugs. The Rockstars of the eighties had squarish looking small lugs. The third, and longest running version had the clip-on starcast system and the rounded, fat, long lugs. (see below)

According to Gretsch, Yamaha, and Sonor... who have all used Beech to make drums.. it falls right in between Maple and Birch.... more attack then maple and warmer then birch.
    I couldn't find anything that tell me what your shells are made of other then it has a beech inner ply.

User Info Menu

This thread is soooo 'jacked...LOL

User Info Menu

them sonors look awesome dave, id grab them for sure looks good for gigging and i have a soft spot for white sparkle or blue :D

User Info Menu

Thanks Dave! Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

User Info Menu

Thanks Dave! Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

... not so fast... that's some nice drumming there bubba!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    ... not so fast... that's some nice drumming there bubba!
    Wow! Amazing Anthony! Some twisting configurations there keeping the hat going and going with the right hand and to that splash with the left hand. Incredible playing.

User Info Menu

Hahah! Thanks guys. Man I love the energy of that version- still amazes me what Stewart would (and could) do! That damn cross arm hat/splash thing could be easily remedied with simply adding another splash to my left, but I tend to find the difficult way to do things!