Thread: Bad rooms kill even the best kits

User Info Menu

Default Bad rooms kill even the best kits

I have a 10x18 room.
    I've had
    2 Tama Rockstars (not my thing)
    Gretsch Catalina Club (kinda fun. I owned it)
    Yamaha Stage Custom (sweeet)
    Pearl Export (decent)
    and my latest Ludwig Epic X Over Jazzette.

I've had dozens of different heads, and drummers play them over the past few years.

I'm finding that recording all of these kits in this room, they all have horrible overtone problems, sound uneven and take a lot of EQ and compression to really make a decent track.

We took some of the kits on the road and to a church to record with the same gear, and they all sounded great.

I'm going to build some bass traps once I get some more money.

If your not happy with your drum set. Invest in building some bass traps first, or try your kit in a different room

I'm sure a $600 kit will sound better in a good sounding room than a DW in a bad one.
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bad rooms kill even the best kits

Quote Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
    I have a 10x18 room.
    I've had
    2 Tama Rockstars (not my thing)
    Gretsch Catalina Club (kinda fun. I owned it)
    Yamaha Stage Custom (sweeet)
    Pearl Export (decent)
    and my latest Ludwig Epic X Over Jazzette.

I've had dozens of different heads, and drummers play them over the past few years.

I'm finding that recording all of these kits in this room, they all have horrible overtone problems, sound uneven and take a lot of EQ and compression to really make a decent track.

We took some of the kits on the road and to a church to record with the same gear, and they all sounded great.

I'm going to build some bass traps once I get some more money.

If your not happy with your drum set. Invest in building some bass traps first, or try your kit in a different room

I'm sure a $600 kit will sound better in a good sounding room than a DW in a bad one.
    What kind of room is it? Any stone walls? Is there any carpet or anything on the walls? Bass traps are great after the rest of the room is taken care of, I tend to think of them as sweetening up a room. Sometimes I don't think they're necessary if the room already sounds good as is, and could benefit from some low end. Sorry to hear about your dissatisfactions though.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You are right on Pilgrim. The dimensions of the room would definitely destroy a kit's natural sound. Bass baffles would go a long way and Russ is correct about hanging something on the wall to kill the high end wash. The main problem is wrangling the sound as drums as we know are loud and when placed in a small room those sound waves nullify and build on themselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
    Yes x100. I've heard some tragic recordings of DW's and Tama's that severely turned my interest away from them. Great kits, just sounded entirely too dead and boxed in with the recording and room settings. It's almost like having a Lamborghini in a traffic jam. She's begging to run very very fast like the high class of automobile she is, but just has no room to do it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

typically any church will have great acoustics ..there made for choirs and spoken word..and they have moneys

..unlike a typical bed room there not made for this ..i would even consider making a false wall that can eliminate one of the 90 degree angles in the room ..and make sure the floor isn't reflecting

doctor dirt Guest

Experiement up in the corners to start with you may have a few hot spots instead of addressing the entire room. As for the drums a set of YRC or 4 to 6 ply maple kits would vastly improve your drum sound. Regardless of rotten acoustics starting out with quality shells is important. The stage customs are capable for a low line kit but aren't at the level of the drums I mentioned. Doc