Thread: Hey guys need advice on a drumset.

User Info Menu

Default Hey guys need advice on a drumset.

I just recently got a job and im working quite a bit. Minimum wage so it will take a while, but i want to upgrade to a better set(Im still playing on a crappy Sunlite kit i bought at a garage sale for 50 bucks) I was thinking of either the Gretchs Catalina Ash Fusion kid ----->
    Or maybe the Tama ImperialStar ----->
    I really like the Gretsch but I dont know much about them, I know Tama is good. Give me your suggestions please, and any new ones your have. I will have about 600 for the shell pack and another 100 or so for the shipping ect. Help me out please!!!!

User Info Menu

Sanzen, IMHO, if you have the money, and don't need the hardware, I would get the Gretsch Catalina set. I have the Gretsch Catalina maple set and it is absolutely awesome, and I haven't even changed out the heads yet! You have to keep in mind that the Tama ImperialStar is an entry level set, so by going with the Gretsch Catalina, you would be moving above the entry level. Also, the Tama set has a drum wrap, while it looks like the Gretsch set has a lacquer finish, just as the other Catalina series.

I do have to admit that I don't know anything about the sound of an ash shell, but as I recall PDPlayer was playing a ddrum Dominion ash kit, and was happy with the overall sound of the ash shells. It was more about the bearing edges that made him complain. I would suggest that you talk with him before you make your final choice.

Good luck with your decision, and remember that just by going through the decision process, you will learn a lot about the shells (Ash vs. Poplar), what you want in terms of the shell sizes, the heads, and you'll get to tune a new set of drums. It's all about the process, so enjoy the process!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yea man i definitely will, I am definitely leaning towards the gretsch. Is the maple set really amazing? should i look into that one also? Also Pdplayer if you read this give me your advice on Ash man. Thanks for helping PB

User Info Menu

Did you think about the ddrum Diablo set - it's mahagony and looks cool with that combat wrap.

although, the Gretsch does have that extra tom - maybe i'd say go for the Gretsch then - it's still a cheaper, entry level kit no matter which way you cut it really, so I doubt your looking for a kit to play for then next 20 years (if you are, then maybe go above your $600 limit?) SO really here any option will be ok - are you able to get down to a music store and listen to the sounds of the woods to get an idea if you like the poplar or ash better?3

Anyway, probably not bother with the Tama - it's cheaper for a reason - although, if you get the tama and save some cash there, you could put that towards cymbals maybe?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

hey crazy, yea i dislike the combat finish, its tacky and cheap looking, and im not much of a double floor tom person. Im liking the Catalina and its more high end than my set right now. I just bought Zildjian ZBTs so those will hold me for a bit, im planning on buying my new kit and slowly upgrading my cymbals

User Info Menu

Well, sounds like it's the Gretsch to me then - getting the extra tom makes that one sweet deal actually. Personally, I like the combat finish, but thats me. But since you've ruled out the ddrum kit (all the tohers in that price range we pretty average - maybe the Pearl Forums would be ok - maybe) and the gretsch is definately a better option than the tama as far as quality and value go (extra tom) the gretsch should pretty much be a no contest winner here.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

The Gretsch for sure. An all around excellent manufacturer. Not sure about the Ash, never got to play one, but I'm sure it's satisfying to say the least. Also, that free 8" is definately a deal. I would kill for an 8" or 16" on my birch Catalina.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

here u go man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen View Post
    I am definitely leaning towards the gretsch. Is the maple set really amazing? should i look into that one also?
    I can definitely recommend the Catalina kit with the maple shells, but unless they've come down in price since I bought mine, it's about $100 more than you would pay for the ash kit. I did see that the Catalina birch is about the same price as the ash, so you might want to look into the sound of that one, just for comparison, if you can get to a music store.

The maple shells give a better mid-range and lower range (warm) sound, while birch shells give more of a mid-range to upper range (bright) sound. As I said before, though, I really don't know anything about the ash shell.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I noticed there are heaps and heaps of begginer kit forums atm... Have you looked through any of the others to see what other people are getting for beggining?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Yes i have browsed those threads, i didnt see anything but the Gretsch and Tama that jumped out at me is all. I think i might try the Ash

User Info Menu

ludwig bro..ludwig

User Info Menu

Gretsch, bro., Gretsch!

Sorry, MI, I just couldn't resist!!

User Info Menu

Haha Ive never played a Ludwig or a Gretsch so i will have to try em out

User Info Menu

why does no 1 realize that companies like ludwig and gretsch are just superior to tama and pearl..it makes me mad!!!

User Info Menu

I realise it.... I just dont have as ready access to their sales as i do pearl. There are some big guys on ludwig and gretsch...... But also. Tama and pearl are put drum companies
    you can get gretsch guitars and basses.... I aint so sure about ludwig though.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen View Post
    I just recently got a job and im working quite a bit. Minimum wage so it will take a while, but i want to upgrade to a better set(Im still playing on a crappy Sunlite kit i bought at a garage sale for 50 bucks) I was thinking of either the Gretchs Catalina Ash Fusion kid ----->
    Or maybe the Tama ImperialStar ----->
    I really like the Gretsch but I dont know much about them, I know Tama is good. Give me your suggestions please, and any new ones your have. I will have about 600 for the shell pack and another 100 or so for the shipping ect. Help me out please!!!!
    Hands down the gretsch, far superior IMO, better quality, looks , sound, set-up, just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Default i do

i wouldnt mind some advice my budgets around 1000

User Info Menu

can somebody post a link that shows all the woods for drums in order of like low end to high end, and all the kits from low end to high end, it would help out alot, i thought i saw one before on another thread but i couldnt find it, and it would help a lot of people out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    i wouldnt mind some advice my budgets around 1000
    Hi Roachmon! Welcome to DrumChat! I am sure that you would get plenty of advice on a drum kit, if you would do 2 things.
    1) Create a new thread asking for drum set advice. Go to the "Drumset" forum and click on the "New Thread" button on the lft side of the page, near the top. Ask your question and hit the submit button.

2) I would suggest that you be as specific about your needs as possible. Will you need cymbals, hardware, and drums for that $1,000.00? Where are you located? Be sure and give us the info that we need and you will get plenty of help, otherwise be ready for plenty of questions until everyone can understand your needs.

Did I say welcome? Just want your experience here to be a good one. You'll find DrumChatters are terrifically helpful people!

User Info Menu

Default pacific x7

i need your guys opinion on the pacific x7 kits

User Info Menu

Default pastor bob

thanks for the advice