Thread: Gretsch Catalina Ash Drumkit - Reviews

drumweb Guest

Default Gretsch Catalina Ash Drumkit - Reviews

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on the Gretsch Catalina Ash kit. What's your opinion on Ash wood, the GTS suspension system, the 2.5mm triple-flanged hoops, the overall sound, and is there a lot of lows, mids, highs? Do you think this is a mid to high end kit or a low to mid kit? Thanks

===============

Drum Bum <br />
<br />
- T-shirts and Gifts for Drummers

User Info Menu

looks like a midline kit to me..if u want a decent kit without spending a lot..i'd say go for it.

User Info Menu

there is a 6pc at my local shop. it was only set up for awhile, but i didnt really like the way it sounded. i imagine it was because it was not tuned very well and would prolly sound alot better with a better set of heads. i know the catalina birch sounds ALOT better after replacing stock heads. the hoops and mounting system is pretty good. i have not really seen any problem with it or heard any complaints from the MANY catalina owners i have met.

User Info Menu

DW, there's another thread going on this basic topic, so you might want to check it out, if you haven't already seen it http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=2469.

I've got the Catalina with the maple shells, and I really don't know much about the sound that ash produces, although, PDPlayer had a ddrum Dominion kit that I believe was ash, so maybe he can give some advice on that one.

I will say that I love my kit. It's sturdy, and everything seems to be of great quality. Yes, it's an intermediate level (student) kit, but everything that I've read about it says that the quality is good enough to go on the low end of pro. I guess that means that you can gig with it until you earn enough to afford a better kit! When I was considering mine, a salesman at the Guitar Center told me that he had the Catalina, and the mounting system was good, but that since it attaches to the tension rods, it should be tuned with the drums in place. He felt that the pull on the tension rods caused a slight change in the tuning. Seemed like a little thing to me, and I always fine tune everything after it's in place, anyway.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've got the Grestch Catalina Birch set, I second what Pastor Bob said it's a good solid intermediate set, probably more towards the pro level than the entry side. I also can't tell you about the sound of the ASH wood. I've seen several references to the stock heads on the Catalina line not being that great but mine came with Evan's G-1 coated heads that seem to sound pretty decent to me. Maybe Grestch went to a defferent head manufacturer, or prehaps there are some that don't like the G-1 sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I've got the Grestch Catalina Birch set, I second what Pastor Bob said it's a good solid intermediate set, probably more towards the pro level than the entry side. I also can't tell you about the sound of the ASH wood. I've seen several references to the stock heads on the Catalina line not being that great but mine came with Evan's G-1 coated heads that seem to sound pretty decent to me. Maybe Grestch went to a defferent head manufacturer, or prehaps there are some that don't like the G-1 sound.
    it is possible your dealer did what my local shop owner does. he now sells all new kits with coated ambassadores on the snare and toms and a ps3 on the kick. a prettycool deal since he charges a bit more than the bigger city stores and the internet. he would prolly do the same thing with g1s.
    if i was getting the ash kit i would prolly try a 2ply coated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post

Nice kit..I had the exact same set up including the heads but I did change them to Remo pins and Ambassador on the snare when I bought the kit. I only paid 80Au for heads 6 toms and snare so I could not pass the offer up! I got the EMAD on the bass and really sounds nice, has a nice note to it