Thread: Accidentially Bought a Maple Custom Absolute!

User Info Menu

Default Accidentially Bought a Maple Custom Absolute!

Well, I bought the kit on purpose but I was definitely not planning on buying another kit, especially another maple one. (I already own a DW collectors, a couple of vintage Rogers kits, and an older Yamaha 7000)

I was at the local used music store and they had these sitting on the floor. As soon as I looked at the price tag I knew they were coming home with me. For a mere $649 I got a 10,12,14,22 w/ matching 14" snare and all the necessary tom arms! Oddly enough they had another 14" used MCA snare on the shelf for $399 for just the snare. I'm not sure how that pricing works but I wasn't about to complain.

The plum laquer wouldn't be my first choice for color but it looks nice either way and it's my first laquer kit.

The build quality on these drums is excellent, on par with my DW's. They sounded great as soon as I set them up with the G2's that were aleady on them. The sound is more focused then my DW's. I'm also a fan for the tom mount set up. I have really missed not having a BD tom mount and had been contemplating adding one to my DW bass. The sizing is great on this kit and I couldn't be happier with it. I also appreaciated the shallower BD, 22x16 comparted to 22x18 that my DW is.

The only reason I can tell why they were priced so low is that they appear to have been gigged heavly. The clerk also said that kids only want DW or OCDP kits with monster depth BD's so kits like these just sit if they try and get market value for them. There is a couple of scratches and one of the wing nut's on the BD spurs doesn't match, the BD hoops could also use some touch-up paint. None of the scratches are deep and I think with a good buff most of the blemishes them would come out. Regardless, I can reccommed the MCA's to everyone, they really are quality top of the line drums!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Accidentially Bought a Maple Custom Absolute!

Nice pick-up EM! That is a nice addition to your collection for sure. I see what you mean by heavily gigged, but the price looks right. You may be able to touch up the scratches if you wanted to.

User Info Menu

I recognize that HS 930 hi hat stand, I use that exact model on my Gretsch kit. Awesome piece of hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Nice pick-up EM! That is a nice addition to your collection for sure. I see what you mean by heavily gigged, but the price looks right. You may be able to touch up the scratches if you wanted to.

Thanks! Obvisouly, I'm not too concerned with the scratches otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. This kit will probably life a life of being transported, living in practice spaces, and getting used as a backline. If I get bored I'll clean them up but I also like having a kit that's a little beat up becuase then I don't mind accidentially putting a ding in them or worry about sharing them at a gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrix View Post
    I recognize that HS 930 hi hat stand, I use that exact model on my Gretsch kit. Awesome piece of hardware.
    Haha, yes it is. I remember saving all my money in 8th grade, like 15 years ago, to buy that HH stand and it has worked flawlessly after being trasported some 500+ times. It shows no signs of stopping but I need to find a new cymbal sleeve for it becuase it wore through. Clutch was never that great though and was replaced with a DW shortly after I purchased it. I don't think it's a 900 series though, I believe mine is an 800 series. I bought the cheapest one that had a swivel legs at the time for DB. My double pedal was retired but the HH stand is still kicking it!
    Last edited by Exotic Matter; 03-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Lucky! Man you just got all the best kits now don't ya? I don't get the extra-deep bass thing either, but if it lets you score one of the best kits out there, thanks kids! Love the finish too, it is quite deep and dark. What I wouldn't give to play on one of those! Amazing that you got it at such a low price, they normally go for much much more.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Haha, yes it is. I remember saving all my money in 8th grade, like 15 years ago, to buy that HH stand and it has worked flawlessly after being trasported some 500+ times. It shows no signs of stopping but I need to find a new cymbal sleeve for it becuase it wore through. Clutch was never that great though and was replaced with a DW shortly after I purchased it. I don't think it's a 900 series though, I believe mine is an 800 series. I bought the cheapest one that had a swivel legs at the time for DB. My double pedal was retired but the HH stand is still kicking it!
    Yep...I've seen many double-braced stands fall in the time I've had my 930 single-braced. I also noticed that clutch too...the DW wingnut gave it away.

Here's some nice close-ups of the 930:

User Info Menu

^

Good eye! Mine looks idendical to that one, just with 15 years of wear and tear. Maybe I do have the 900 series. I've never had the need to even think about buying another HH stand. It's light in weight, easy to set up, and extremely relaible and sturdy. Most of my hardware is Yamaha and it has all worked very well for me. I have exclusively used the snare stand from my 81' Yamaha 7000's in every kit I have ever had. It is in these pictures but I doubt you can see it. Some of those boom stands are also from my 81' 7000. Not too many guys use hardware that old but the Yamaha stuff was so ahead of its time you can't even tell it's over 30 years old and it's still prefroming perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Lucky! Man you just got all the best kits now don't ya? I don't get the extra-deep bass thing either, but if it lets you score one of the best kits out there, thanks kids! Love the finish too, it is quite deep and dark. What I wouldn't give to play on one of those! Amazing that you got it at such a low price, they normally go for much much more.
    Thanks Russ! My DW bass is 22x18 and now this 22x16 Yamaha solidifies that I prefer a BD 16" or shallower. You get much better response with the shallow drum and I prefer the feel. If I were to custom order a kit I would probably go with a 14" depth like my Rogers and older Yamaha's are. I also have a 20x14 Rogers which thumps quite nicely. I'm still undecided if I prefer a 20" or 22" though.

I agree, the finish is actually quite nice. I don't think I would have picked the plum finish from a catalog but it looks great.
    Last edited by Exotic Matter; 03-08-2012 at 08:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice pick up!

User Info Menu

Man you got a sweet score there. I like the Statutory Grape finish.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of Yams at all........but those sure are some pretty drums. Good buy!
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    ^

Good eye! Mine looks idendical to that one, just with 15 years of wear and tear. Maybe I do have the 900 series. I've never had the need to even think about buying another HH stand. It's light in weight, easy to set up, and extremely relaible and sturdy. Most of my hardware is Yamaha and it has all worked very well for me. I have exclusively used the snare stand from my 81' Yamaha 7000's in every kit I have ever had. It is in these pictures but I doubt you can see it. Some of those boom stands are also from my 81' 7000. Not too many guys use hardware that old but the Yamaha stuff was so ahead of its time you can't even tell it's over 30 years old and it's still prefroming perfect.
    Yep. Yamaha has excellent hardware...their stuff is built rock-solid (even the cheaper stuff). I've never had any Yamaha hardware fail, and that's over 20 years of drumming.

User Info Menu

I think a 16 inch bass drum depth (on your Yams) is a much better depth than your 18 inch depth (on your DW's). Great find. I don't own Yammies, but have played them around and they are such well made drums....and hardware.