Thread: more bass guitar buying advice

User Info Menu

Talking more bass guitar buying advice

Hey guys,

Most of you have already read my first thread about buying a bass guitar. But if not ill tell you here anyway. I have been playing bass guitar now for a month and a bit, and am borrowing my uncles Schecter branded base guitar. I decided im going to continue since im progressing well thanks to the support of my teacher, friends and family.

Now as you guys have suggested i have looked up most of the top brand bass guitar/ guitar manufacturers. I havent tried any in-store yet but will this week. Ive decided to look at fender/fender squier, epiphone, ESP, Yamaha and SX models of guitar. yes i know what your going to write, dont limit yourself to 6 guitar models and brands. But please respect that these are the ones i chose to stick with.

Now i start my job next week and will be making around about $200 a week. I am considering not spending more then $300 on a beginner guitar. but still want something decent and nice. Someone on gumtree is selling an epiphone EB-0 for $150 used with bag and amp, it has one small dent in it but is very minimal. Its an ebony bass as well....

Do you guys think i should go for it or wait and save some money until i can buy a really good bass guitar. like maybe a goth les paul or decent fender. Keep in mind my limit is $300 and take into fact that i dont live in the USA, i live in the overexpensive australia where most instruments are overpriced.

thanks in advnaced for the help.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: more bass guitar buying advice

Please note that the Epiphone has a shorter scale than the bass you're borrowing. It may not balance as well on a strap. This may or may not matter to you. You won't know until you try it out. Try as many as you can before you buy.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Personally I do not care for the Epiphones. Like I said in the previous thread, I am partial to the Ibanez line and think you would enjoy the SR500. That being said, for 300 you should be able to find Mexican Fenders, Squiers, ESP and Yamahas and all should be quality instruments that you will be satisfied with for some time. As for the SX, they can be purchased cheap and modded but I would prefer the other brands. The newer SX models also have a very goofy looking headstock IMO. I wouldn't be able to get past it. Like posted above, try all you can, and definitely look for used.

User Info Menu

Ibanez SR5000 eh...I'll check it out. Why do you not care for epiphones? IMO they are one of the top companies. I've heard ESP is good for metal music which, ^^^in time, I will be learning alot of.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

When referring to the Epiphones its primarily the SG and Les Paul body styles. Something about them just didn't feel right to me, maybe it was a short scale. The Thunderbird however I do like, its just really big lol. For metal I prefer an active pickup, so there is that to consider. For the last metal band I was in I used an Ibanez SR 500, thats why I am such a fan I suppose. In that price range I have played several ESP and with actives and liked them. I like the Schecters also, but most of the models I have tried were a bit more expensive.

User Info Menu

If you want the Epiphone Les Paul keep saving for it. It sounds great and plays fine. Pretty well built too. The Squiers are great as are ESP and IMO the Epiphones are underrated. The Thunderbird Pro neck-thru is sweet.

...use the borrowed one until you can get the axe you want - which looks to be only 3 months away.

Son's Epi LP Goth bought used for $160.00
    Better the devil you know, than you don't know! (Better the devil you know, the real devil is me!)

User Info Menu

I'm going to obviously keep playing so do you reckon I should save for an intermediate or pro bass like the les Paul rather then getting a lower brand of epiphone or whatever brand I choose. Because then I won't have to replace it ^^^in the long run.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

My advice would be to save your money and buy one time as long as your sure your going to stick with it, if your not sure than go the lesser expensive route.

I think it all plays down to which bass feels the best to you. I did my shopping around and tried a bunch of models, i ended up choosing a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4, but after i bought it something kept telling me to go back and pick up that Peavy BXP again, I guess i got a case of GAS cause i came home with it as well..

User Info Menu

That's really good advice I might actually stick to that...after all I'm earning $200 a week after tax...I'll keep playing, and maybe after 4-5 months or so I'll buy a really good guitar. Maybe not over the $1000 range but you know something around $500-$650
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads