Thread: Buying an electric Drumset for the 1st time.

User Info Menu

Question Buying an electric Drumset for the 1st time.

Hey everyone, haven't posted in a while but I could use a little advice.

If anyone saw my 1st posts on the forum, you wouldve seen the pictures of my huge acoustic setup. Since then, I got a job promotion and the set has since been put in storage until I move in to a place with enough room. So not being able to play on an everyday basis has me bummed.

So i am currently in the market to buy an electric drumset that will suffice until i am able to get back to my acoustic set.

On all the online sites i have seen, the inexpensive ones have comments that are all across the board. Some say theyre awesome and others say theyre garbage, so it's tough to tell.

My acoustic set :

So naturally I was checking out the ddrum dd1 electric drumset since it would actualy match my set if i was to integrate them.

I was also looking at the Yamaha DTX series and obviously the Roland kits as well. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, as I said, I want something that will work well enough for me to be able to spend the time playing and not get rusty.

I don't know muchabout Ekits so I pretty much need all the info i can get haha.

If I will be playing straight into isolation headphones, I don't need an amp right?

What do i have to look for (on the module) to be able to add on extra pads?

I think that's about it for now...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying an electric Drumset for the 1st time.

Headphones take away the need for an amp to get sound, yes. Although if you're getting this kit for inaudibility and solo practices you wouldn't be looking for an amp to begin with. Yamaha and Roland make some of the nicest stuff out right now, so I would consider them. It falls down on what price range you're shopping in though, you can't get what your budget doesn't allow.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

ive heard only good things about those ddrums.. are they the dd1s? you can change the heads and put standard heads on it
    Last edited by s_tic_k; 03-17-2012 at 12:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I would stay away from DD1 drums, they have a 2 and 3 star review on amazon, mostly about the response time and the sound quality.

Id go for a used roland, alesis or yamaha, the dtx explorer would be your best bet for budget if you wanted to buy new.
    Last edited by luckypunk; 03-17-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Yamaha DTX 520k
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr.

User Info Menu

Ill step in and say also as the others have you will be happy with a yamaha or a roland or a yamaha kit. I am very happy with my yamaha. so my vote is for a yamaha.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

After doing my homework, seeing the pros and cons about each kit, i decided to go out and purchase a Yamaha DTX500k. I am very happy with it so far and was told I could add up to 4 more pads to it.

Question is, there arent any plug ins for extra drums or cymbals...so how would i add them on?

ddrum Diablo II
    8,10,12,13 high toms
    14,16,18 floor toms
    14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic Steel
    14x6 Ming Fiberglass
    14x6 Homemade Acrylic w/ LED
    14x4 Homemade Acrylic Piccolo w/LED
    13x7 Pork Pie Hip Pig Chrome Steel
    10x5 ddrum Side Snare

Saluda Earthworks
    13" Fusion hats
    16" Vented Medium Crash
    17" Rock Crash
    18" Rock Crash
    14" vented china/ 10.5" vented splash [stack]
    16" Rock China
    20" Rock Ping Ride
    8" Prototype Splash
    6" Prototype Bell
    Trick Drums Dominator Pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcibassdrum View Post
    After doing my homework, seeing the pros and cons about each kit, i decided to go out and purchase a Yamaha DTX500k. I am very happy with it so far and was told I could add up to 4 more pads to it.

Question is, there arent any plug ins for extra drums or cymbals...so how would i add them on?
    See page 9 in the manual.
    You can expand the inputs on the DTX500 module with a "Y" cable and you can add an additional pad or cymbal through the KP65.
    You may find that it's easier to replace pads rather than add pads because that rack will run out of mounting space pretty quick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdee View Post
    See page 9 in the manual.
    You can expand the inputs on the DTX500 module with a "Y" cable and you can add an additional pad or cymbal through the KP65.
    You may find that it's easier to replace pads rather than add pads because that rack will run out of mounting space pretty quick.
    Thanks! Well The way i have it set up right now i have 1 high tom and 2 floor toms. I can add a cymbal in between the 2 floors and there is enough space to add one more tom and a cymbal..but im sure if i do decide to expand, i'll add a cymbal.

ddrum Diablo II
    8,10,12,13 high toms
    14,16,18 floor toms
    14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic Steel
    14x6 Ming Fiberglass
    14x6 Homemade Acrylic w/ LED
    14x4 Homemade Acrylic Piccolo w/LED
    13x7 Pork Pie Hip Pig Chrome Steel
    10x5 ddrum Side Snare

Saluda Earthworks
    13" Fusion hats
    16" Vented Medium Crash
    17" Rock Crash
    18" Rock Crash
    14" vented china/ 10.5" vented splash [stack]
    16" Rock China
    20" Rock Ping Ride
    8" Prototype Splash
    6" Prototype Bell
    Trick Drums Dominator Pedals

User Info Menu

Great decision on the Yamaha! I think you'll be very satisfied with it. In the long run spending a little more for something quality you can rely on is worth it. That way you don't have to spend time replacing faulty parts like you would with a cheaper feeling kit.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

dcibassdrum are you going to use the kit with MIDI - because there seems to be a problem with it at least in some units (thread).

If you're only going to use it to play the internal sounds go get it. It has 50 nice kits. You can tune the pads beyound recognition and save 20 user kits.

Marco