Thread: can you?

drums-rock Guest

Question can you?

Hey can you play Congas, Bongos, Djembes etc etc with drum sticks or will you damage the skin to badly :S or is there any other E.g african samba etc etc type of drum you can play with drumsticks?
    Last edited by drums-rock; 07-13-2007 at 11:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I dont think so. BB will know for sure.

User Info Menu

If you hit hard enough, you will damage the skins. If you insist on hitting with sticks and not your hands use mallets instead.

User Info Menu

Cool can you?

You can--but I don't recommend it unless you have mallets. (Personally, sticks on hand drums make me cringe ! )

Most drumsticks have hard narrow tips--and if you play hand drums with sticks as hard as you play you'd play them with your hands, you can tear up any kind of heads in short order.

Mallets (the kind of mallets you'd use for vibes and xylophones) are best, but play them lightly...

Having said that, there is a Brazilian hand drum similar in size to a tambourine called a pandeira that is played with a small stick; the Irish frame drum or bodhran is also played with a small, double-ended stick.

Hope this helps, drums-rock!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

drums-rock Guest

Ok thanks guys but i was kind of thinking like you could just go right around your kit with them can you get any like toms that would sound near enough to the african or samba sound?

User Info Menu

Tune them so thght they almost break. It wont sound good but itll sound a bit hand-drumish.

User Info Menu

If your looking for something you can play latin music on with sticks why not timbales? Just a suggestion to consider.

drums-rock Guest

thanks church drummer ive never heard of them

User Info Menu

Timbales are a good suggestion. I'll second the timbales motion.

User Info Menu

Cool can you?

hey drums_rock, timbales are metal-shelled, single-headed drums used in Latin music...they're generally mounted on a stand with provision for a cowbell between--and they add a distinctive metallic sound...

Here's a link to the Latin Percussion website that'll give you a quick overview of timbales...

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showc..._V5_p36-41.pdf

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

If ur a bit low i cash you could aways take the wire off a snare. That will sound quite timbale-like.

User Info Menu

Cool can you?

True, vinny, but if you have your snare tuned fairly high, you can just flip the throw-off on your snare to "take the wires off" without actually removing the snares themselves.

Or, as I did when I started learning Latin rhythms, I tuned my two side toms fairly tight (they were minus their bottom rims anyway) and got a passable imitation of timbales.

Then again, one of my buddies bought an old snare drum and removed not only the snares but also the lower head and the rim, so that's another idea to try : ...
    Last edited by bongobro; 07-15-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Charlie

User Info Menu

at my church we have 2 congaos, or bongo's not sure what they are it looks like this but a different finish http://content.answers.com/main/cont.../65/Congas.JPG pretty sure their congas. anyways i used some mallets on them and its super fun. accept i tried jammin to the other guy on the drum set and it sounded pretty bad, because either i suck at playing them, or the music didnt call for them, and im pretty sure, the music didnt call for them at all lol

User Info Menu

Cool can you?

Okay, Lafirin...first, not every church song works with hand percussion...you'd be surprised how many do, however.

Second...the drums in your picture are congas...bongos are much smaller and are played either on a stand (like my early avatar) or held between your knees...

Third, they're called hand percussion because they sound best played with your hands...

all kidding aside, they're mucho fun, man!

Charlie

User Info Menu

i kinda figured thats why it wasnt sounding that great lol.. i wanted to use the mallets because the drummer who was drumming was just hitting the cymbal and playing has hard as he could (ripps hair out) . i dont think you need to know how to play hand purcussion, part of it is just feelin the music out. because our church guitarist, not a drummer at all, still played the congas because hes got a good feal.

User Info Menu

Cool can you?

I used to think there wasn't much to learn on hand percussion either, Lafirin--and while anyone who has a sense of rhythm can "feel out" a beat and follow along on bongos or congas, you limit yourself if you don't study different rhythm patterns (and the rudiments are the basis of many of those patterns), how to get different tones out of two or three heads (slaps, open tones, muffled tones, flams, etc.), and how to know when to play, when to tear 'em up--and when not to play them.

It could also be your guitarist buddy has played a bit longer than you have (read practice, and even jamming with a buddy gets you some practice)--it doesn't take away anything from what you've learned, of course--but the more you learn, the more you'll find there is even more to learn...

Don't give up, bro'...you're gettin' there!

Charlie