Thread: Splash Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Splash Cymbals

I've been looking around on the web at cymbals now, and I'm beginning to find some pretty good deals on cymbals.
    But as for splash cymbals (and chinas too I guess >_>) I don't know much about the quality of them.
    So can anyone recommend me what kinda splash cymbals I should be looking for? Not cheap, trashy ones that I might accidently buy :p
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

like other cymbals its all in the sound you want and what blends well with what you already have. i have 2 sets of splashes to match whatever crashes im using that day. when i'm using my K special dark crashes i use my 12" & 10" sabian hhx evolution splashes. and i recently picked up 12" and 10" a custom splashes to match my a custom crashes. whatever ones i'm using i mount a little 6" paragon upside down on the 12" for a little china splash effect.

drums-rock Guest

i have a sabian aax 12" splash its my favourite cymbal

User Info Menu

i just got back from my friends place a week ago and his church drum set has a aax 10" splash and it sounded pretty good.

User Info Menu

ive got a 10 inch ZHT splash, lemme tell you, i love that little thing, i havnt really cared to take a look at the hgiher end splashes, their just more money, and its not that big of a diffrence, its just a quick little like rattle, except diffrent tones

User Info Menu

i got a 10 inch a custom splash..sounds perfect

User Info Menu

I havnt botherde with a splash. Im gonna concentrate on the more vital cymbals instead.

User Info Menu

I think splashes and chinas are overrated. They have their uses, yes. As specialty effects cymbals, but I think too many pepople have them and they are overused.

But that's me.

User Info Menu

I've got an 8" splash only becuase it came with my cymbal pack, I find I rarely use it. It is kind of a neat effect to throw in occasionally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    I think splashes and chinas are overrated. They have their uses, yes. As specialty effects cymbals, but I think too many pepople have them and they are overused.

But that's me.
    diddo that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    diddo that.
    Agreed.

User Info Menu

wow I was expecting to get lambasted after that comment. But maybe the harsh criticizim is still coming.....

User Info Menu

lol..i dont rly consider splash an effects cymbal..just the baby of the crash family.

User Info Menu

I don't know, I kinda like the quick choke on the splashes... so much so that I have three. In addition to my primary crash, a Sabian 15" AAX Dark Crash, I have a Zildjian 12" A Splash (kinda a crash/splash), a Sabian 10" B8 Splash and a Zildjian 8" ZXT Splash. The ZXT may be a cheapo but it chokes right out and is great in certain applications. I agree with you Michiganice, I use them more as "baby" crashes - at least the 10" & 12" - they don't ring out as long.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input but after all that I've decided before I jump in I'll invest my money on upgrading before I start adding to my kit :p

But thanks for the suggestions.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...