Thread: Structured learning

User Info Menu

Default Structured learning

Hiya!

Can anyone recommend any good quality links/sites/resources that offer decent structured learning material for drumming?

I've literally found a ton of stuff online including sheets, videos, play-alongs etc etc, but feel a little 'drowned' with it all. To be fair, I'm new to the game, so this is probably expect and normal, but still..

Does anywhere offer a nice simple, structured learning plan to give me some idea where to start... ie..

Weeks 1-4:
    Learning - Drum parts, assembly, tuning, basic beats..
    Material is .....
    Outcome: At the end of this period you should be able to .....

Weeks 5-12: etc...

Anyone know what I mean? I feel a little lost and as I'm not the most patient person, even if I sit down and try and work on a single stroke roll for instance, really I'm thinking about that U2 play-along to "With or Without You".. Delusions of Grandeur and all that :P

Thoughts and recommendations on how to learn from scratch most welcome.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Structured learning

I would start with checking around Drumbum, they have a lot of good skillbuilding stuff like that as well as other accessories you may need gearwise later on down the line. I actually found this site because of business I did with drumbum prior to ever joining up, so I like to check here as one of my main spots before getting my gear elsewhere. Some stuff you have to get elsewhere though, so it forces my hand in that situation. It feels great to support the site though, personally.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Just google on anything about drumming and it will give you all kinds of sites to go to from setting up to drum lessons etc. That's how I got most of my info on starting to play drums.Goodluck.

User Info Menu

May be a stretch, but why not try a couple of lessons? Just to get you headed in the right direction. There is so much out there these day, it can be very easy to get overwhelmed and lost, which usually ends up in frustration. You can get good advice as to what kind of study guides that would be good for you, and then take it from there. You may or may not want to continue the lessons, an option that you have. Might be worth the expense, and might even save you a bit because you might not buy everything in sight and find out later that you really can't use it.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

welcome to my harsh world

first 4-6 weeks, dont touch let alone look at drum kit ....rudiments and stick control ,proof they understand reading and counting, wrist strengthening exercises

User Info Menu

Ted Reed Syncopation book (I believe it called) It's like the begginers bible to sticking and all that. Or Louis Bellson's Reading in 4/4.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't know if I would start without any drums at all, since you're trying to learn the feel behind the kit as well as the technique. You won't be spending the bulk of your time on pads, I would at least start a student off with a snare at first and when they have some basics down move them onto kick, toms, etc. There is a lot to be learned before you start playing the actual kit though, i'll admit.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments