Thread: Breaking In

User Info Menu

Default Breaking In

I just got my new cymbals (the sabian aax pack) and since im coming straight from garbage can lids that sounds like trashy gongs that are slowly melting, i was wondering if the cymbals had to break in to find their special tone, or if they just stay like they are, and how long will it take for them to break in, and if or when it does break in will it have less sustain?
    Last edited by coke_can; 07-14-2007 at 12:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    I was wondering if the cymbals had to break in to find their right noise, . . . ?
    Man, you have been playing trash can lids! Good cymbals don't make "noise," they have a "special tone."

Just want to help get your thoughts going in the right direction, CC!! I hope you understand I'm messin' with ya!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i edited it, is that good enough for you?

User Info Menu

LOL!! You got me, CC!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

cymbals sound best right off the lathe. Any wear i.e. warping or cracking takes away from the pure tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    cymbals sound best right off the lathe. Any wear i.e. warping or cracking takes away from the pure tone.
    exactly..theres no "breaking in"...more like breaking down lol

User Info Menu

i donk know, when it comes to my A's and K's i think they sound better after years of use and pretty much no cleaning, just dusting. wich does take out a bit of the sustain and overtones. it makes it a little softer on the ears and mics.
    the only cymbals i clean are the A customs. wich took a little while to get used to from behind the kit.

User Info Menu

I like it when they sound trashy. My Planet Z's (urgh) are getting very dirty rapidly and the sound their making...isn't actually that bad. It gets rid of some of the huge overtones at least.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I suspect that some of what is percieved as breaking in may also be the player getting used to playing the particular cymbals, getting familiar with how and where to strike them to get the tone they want.

User Info Menu

i suspect your suspicion may be somewhat correct.