Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birch Toms + Pinstripes = ROCK!

User Info Menu

Default Birch Toms + Pinstripes = ROCK!

After half a year of dragging my Maple Customs out to shady bars and risking damage by careless drunks between sets, I decided to try out my Pearl VSX kit, which is mostly poplar with an inner ply of birch. Pearl claims that the inner most ply is the most critical to the sound, which I'm inclined to agree with based solely on how the drums sound to me. I had been using this kit in practice with clear Ambassadors, and the sound was okay, but nothing spectacular. For some reason, I hadn't tried a Pinstripe since my youth (that was all the local store carried besides coated Ambassadors). I had forgotten how incredibly fat they sound on toms, and on these birch ply drums they are huge. I got comments from all the band wives at my last show about how they could actually hear all my fills cut through. I can now dedicate my Yamaha kit to a jazz/blues gig I just picked up and rock out with the Pearl VSX.

I also used this opportunity to try an offset 2 up/2 down. The verdict is still out on that configuration, but all the toms will definitely stay in the mix.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Birch Toms + Pinstripes = ROCK!

Congrats on getting just the right sound Shane! I'm kind of partial to the 4 tom setup that you have now, although I also enjoy a 4 piece setup, too. The lighting looks pretty cool in that last shot, and I'm curious about the kick mic. It looks like it's pointing downward, so I was wondering, (a) was positioned for a specific sound, (b) was positioned in a "resting" position to keep dust out of it, (c) or none of the above?

BTW, I used the multiple choice format, because teachers seem to like it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool set-up. Love the offset tom config cause it brings the ride close and easy to reach. Key to playing is keep everything easy to reach for quickness on the set. Pinstripes rule for a rock sound.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Congrats on getting just the right sound Shane! I'm kind of partial to the 4 tom setup that you have now, although I also enjoy a 4 piece setup, too. The lighting looks pretty cool in that last shot, and I'm curious about the kick mic. It looks like it's pointing downward, so I was wondering, (a) was positioned for a specific sound, (b) was positioned in a "resting" position to keep dust out of it, (c) or none of the above?

BTW, I used the multiple choice format, because teachers seem to like it.
    I'm going with "C", Bob. The kick mic is a Shure Beta 52, and it's positioned upside-down, but totally level and pointing at the beater impact area. I cut the vent hole on my other kit specifically so I could use this stand with a gooseneck and have it centered in the hole. With this kit, the hole was random, so that awkward mic placement was the only way to keep the mic from touching the edge of the hole.

The crazy lighting is a result of the 1,000,000 watt yellow stage light that slowly cooks me like a convenience store hot dog.

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Cool set-up. Love the offset tom config cause it brings the ride close and easy to reach. Key to playing is keep everything easy to reach for quickness on the set. Pinstripes rule for a rock sound.
    I always thought the offset tom positioning gave me easier access to the ride, but I'm not so sure now. With 2 up, the ride is exactly the same distance from me, just off to the right more. With a back on my throne, that actually lets me lean back when riding, which seems more comfortable, especially the older I get. I need more time behind this config to make a better decision.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite setups for sure, easy access to everything. I've heard that kit too, it records pretty well. Sweet finish!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

To be sung to the melody of Some Guys Have All the Luck.

Some guys have all the gear...

User Info Menu

Soooo 80's that kinda sound, Shane, but yanno what?

(flashes the headbanger's finger horns) RAAAAWWWWWWKKKK!!!!! Lol.....love it!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Pinstripes on the poplar Exports were always a winning combination, although to be fair, I know so many people who use Pinstripes that it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that you are digging the sound. Truth is, as soon as my current set of tom heads are done for, I'm going back to Pinstripes myself for my maple SMX.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Pinstripes are equal to the Evans EC2's IMO so they should sound awesome.

User Info Menu

Pinstripes are equal to the Evans EC2's IMO so they should sound awesome.
    I'll politely disagree with that - I can't stand EC2s. Well, let me qualify that a bit - I don't like EC2s because for me, I have a heck of a time getting and keeping them in tune so no matter what the tone might be, they sound horrid on my drums after I have tuned them. (I have considered that I might be the root of the problem here - that, or they might not be a good match to my drums) They are the only head I've ever used - Remo, Evans or Aquarian - that I've had that problem with. I love Pinstripes -they are possibly my favorite tom head of everything I've ever tried. I won't ever buy EC2s again. I had them twice - I disliked them the first time, but I decided to give them another shot several years later. (same kit) They weren't any better.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I'll politely disagree with that - I can't stand EC2s. Well, let me qualify that a bit - I don't like EC2s because for me, I have a heck of a time getting and keeping them in tune so no matter what the tone might be, they sound horrid on my drums after I have tuned them. (I have considered that I might be the root of the problem here - that, or they might not be a good match to my drums) They are the only head I've ever used - Remo, Evans or Aquarian - that I've had that problem with. I love Pinstripes -they are possibly my favorite tom head of everything I've ever tried. I won't ever buy EC2s again. I had them twice - I disliked them the first time, but I decided to give them another shot several years later. (same kit) They weren't any better.
    I guess we all have our opinions. I have no experience with the pinstipes and I don't care too either. Remo products are not my thing and never will. So just giving you my opinion like you did. Respectably.

User Info Menu

I guess we all have our opinions. I have no experience with the pinstipes and I don't care too either. Remo products are not my thing and never will. So just giving you my opinion like you did. Respectably.
    It's not a Remo vs. Evans thing or anything like that - it was simply a disagreement and opinion that Pinstripes and EC2s are equal - in my experience they have similar tone (EC2s seem to be slightly darker) but the other characteristics keep me away from that particular head - I have used and currently use Evans heads pretty regularly so it's not a brand thing for me.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I used the coated (frosted really) EC2s on a set of Recording Customs (also birch) for a couple of years and loved them. I wanted a slightly less muffled sound, so I though the clear versions would be ideal. When I got a set, however, I had the same problem as Trickg, and could never get them in tune. They were either too low or choked off. I like the Pinstripes because I can use Moon Gel and muffle to taste, as opposed to the built in ring. I also like the Aquarian Double Thin. I should probably revisit the Evans Hydrallic again as that is basically the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    It's not a Remo vs. Evans thing or anything like that - it was simply a disagreement and opinion that Pinstripes and EC2s are equal - in my experience they have similar tone (EC2s seem to be slightly darker) but the other characteristics keep me away from that particular head - I have used and currently use Evans heads pretty regularly so it's not a brand thing for me.
    It was going by the head comparison chart that I saw on this forum that showed they were compatable. I realy am not into who is the best brand it was the way you said you hated the EC2's and I found that my Maple kit sounds better with them on than any other that I have tried. Not to be bias here I think Aquarian makes the best heads LOL

User Info Menu

that's a kit i'd like to take for spin....

lovely configuration
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I'm going with "C", Bob. The kick mic is a Shure Beta 52, and it's positioned upside-down, but totally level and pointing at the beater impact area. I cut the vent hole on my other kit specifically so I could use this stand with a gooseneck and have it centered in the hole. With this kit, the hole was random, so that awkward mic placement was the only way to keep the mic from touching the edge of the hole.

The crazy lighting is a result of the 1,000,000 watt yellow stage light that slowly cooks me like a convenience store hot dog.
    Now that you point it out, I can see it. I thought the mic grill was pointed downward, but knowing what the mic is, knowing it's upside down, and looking more closely, I can see the part of the mic that I had not seen in the black of the reso head. Can you tell I'm not quite so good with spacial orientations?

BTW, that 1,000,000 watt light explains your incredible golden brown tan. Aaaah, the glamor of being in the lights!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It was going by the head comparison chart that I saw on this forum that showed they were compatable. I realy am not into who is the best brand it was the way you said you hated the EC2's and I found that my Maple kit sounds better with them on than any other that I have tried. Not to be bias here I think Aquarian makes the best heads LOL
    "Hate" was probably too strong of a word.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Pinstripes have glue between the two plys that runs between stripe and the collar. EC2's have nothing between the plys giving the two heads a distinctly unique engineering process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Pinstripes have glue between the two plys that runs between stripe and the collar. EC2's have nothing between the plys giving the two heads a distinctly unique engineering process.
    Tha'ts a good way of explaining it areFish well donebut they still are both muffled in their own design and both 2 plies so to me they are sort of pretty close except for two different manufacture but same concept right.

User Info Menu

Thats a nice looking kit you have there. I'm sure with those pins you have they sound incredible all mic'ed up too! Lets see some videos or something! :D (i think im gunna do pins on my Gretsch Cats when I get em)
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

I'm gonna test your theory, Shane, with a set of EC2's before I put them on my practice kit. See how they compare to the coated G2.

User Info Menu

I used pinstripes on my birch Tamas for years (100% birch on the Granstars and on my Starclassics) and they sounded pretty good. I switched to Evans EC2's a year and a half ago and WOW, they really opened up and boy do they sing and sound fantastic.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I have used nothing else BUT pinstripes since I can remember.
    There's just something about the sound that I can't get past you know?
    BTW Shane, is your moon gel on the outside or inside of your skins? It looks like it's on the inside, but it could be an optical illusion.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Beautiful man! And I am glad you got that sound your after!
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    Thats a nice looking kit you have there. I'm sure with those pins you have they sound incredible all mic'ed up too! Lets see some videos or something! :D (i think im gunna do pins on my Gretsch Cats when I get em)
    Thanks. I plan on recording some cover videos this weekend with this kit, so stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I'm gonna test your theory, Shane, with a set of EC2's before I put them on my practice kit. See how they compare to the coated G2.
    I would love to hear the results of that test.

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    I have used nothing else BUT pinstripes since I can remember.
    There's just something about the sound that I can't get past you know?
    BTW Shane, is your moon gel on the outside or inside of your skins? It looks like it's on the inside, but it could be an optical illusion.
    They are on the outside, but looking at the picture again, I see where the angle makes it look otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Beautiful man! And I am glad you got that sound your after!
    Thanks! I have a few gigs under my belt now with this kit and it's a huge hit with everyone listening.