Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studio trip

User Info Menu

Default Studio trip

Going into the studio soon to record, is there anything I should bring for the kit to get the best sound I can? I'd like to do some new recordings and would like to avoid the problems I had last year. I have it triggered right now as it's been a practice kit, but i'd like to record with mics instead. Any tips/suggestions?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Studio trip

I took the Remo O rings and moongel with me but ended up running everything wide open just as I usually play it.

User Info Menu

newish drum heads

at least two pairs of new sticks

different cymbal setups

a back up snare

big ears

User Info Menu

I agree with itchie and Marko. Give yourself and the engineer options and keep the drums wide open. Easier to make adjustments in the sound and tweak shings in post with wide open drums and cymbals than it is to plug in a sound or have to re-record it. Also more options will help as well.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I have single ply coated heads on there, seems pretty open but not too controlled. These are kinda bright heads and i'm looking for a deeper sound with more attack. I could use my tone rings I guess. I do need to sort it out ahead of time so there's warning enough to get the stuff before I head out.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    newish drum heads

different cymbal setups

a back up snare

big ears
    Yeah, that too. I bought new heads for the session. Put them on about 2 weeks before and played them a bit to break them in. Had plenty of sticks and a few snares with me.

Russ, I went in with my drums sounding the way I liked and was pleased with and the engineer and I tweaked from there.

User Info Menu

Make sure you also take a practice pad with you ... And warm up before every take there's nothing worse that failing a roll halfway though a song because your hands are cold
    Last edited by itchie; 03-30-2012 at 12:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Make sure you also take a practice pad with you ... And warm up before every take there's nothing worse that falling a roll halfway though a song because your hands are cold
    good idea

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

One thing I learnt today ... You need to be really patient and trust your tech ... I spent 4 hours checking toms today but the end end result was amazing ... So be prepared to be playing lots of whole notes , like for hours on end

User Info Menu

Itchie is really giving good advice here. BTW, if you flub up half way through a take the engineer can punch you in just before where you messed up and you start playing like normal and right before where you messed up comes up the rig will start recording and it will be seamless on your track. A very helpful feature.

User Info Menu

Make sure you have no squeaks or rattles in your gear. Get used to a metronome. Bring moongel or gaffer tape, extra sticks and a tuning key. When it comes to your actual kit, bring what you need and no more. No use in wasting time micing and tweeking things you arent going to use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Make sure you have no squeaks or rattles in your gear. Get used to a metronome. Bring moongel or gaffer tape, extra sticks and a tuning key. When it comes to your actual kit, bring what you need and no more. No use in wasting time micing and tweeking things you arent going to use.
    I like this post - especially the part about bringing a roll of gaffer tape, although the studio "should" have some of that on hand.

The other part about the kit reminds me of the story about when JR Robinson was going to do the drums for a Michael Jackson recording. As the story goes, he went in the night before and set his whole kit up so that it would be ready to go the next day. When he got there the next morning he found that Quincy Jones had taken apart his whole kit and left him with some really minimalist setup like kick, snare, hats and one crash, and that's what he ended up using - it was all groove baby!
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

doctor dirt Guest

Use the studio kit, you'll get a better sound because the engineer will appreciate that he doesn't have to put it countless time making a live kit into a sessions kit.
    Use your snare and cymbals and pedals and reset the studio gear for comfort. It just makes everything easier, trust me on this one. Doc

User Info Menu

So... pass on the new heads? I was thinking to pick up something 2 ply and rather dead because it's a small room(performance II's for toms and coated response 2 for snare). I have tape and dampeners already there, so I think i'm good on that.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Use the studio kit, you'll get a better sound because the engineer will appreciate that he doesn't have to put it countless time making a live kit into a sessions kit.
    Use your snare and cymbals and pedals and reset the studio gear for comfort. It just makes everything easier, trust me on this one. Doc
    I thought The whole point of this exercise is to recording he's own kit ...

In a really small room the best thing you can do is have very little resonance
    Last edited by itchie; 03-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Agree with itchie. Based on what you are saying russ. If the room is small Dry that kit out as much as you can (unless the room is acoustically treated then you can get a way with a little more resonance).

User Info Menu

Okay, acknowledged on the dampening thing(I have always dampened in the past, and the room is treated anyway). I will dampen/tune for the room. The thing I need to know though is whether I need to pick up heads specially suited for this task, like I mentioned. Another reason I ask is because I have year old batters on there and I don't know how great of a sound is left in them.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

if the heads are over a year old, there is good chance they will be naff

have you thought about how large a kit your taking?

User Info Menu

I was thinking to scale down to 2 up 2 down, 1 kick and snare since I won't be doing anything requiring more than that.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I would absolutely get new heads if yours are a year old. Mine were only 5 months old and I put fresh on them. But make sure you give your self time to play them in. Don't put them on the night before.

And as Doc said, use the studio kit if at all possible. It's just easier that way. I'll be using the studio kit next time I go in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I would absolutely get new heads if yours are a year old. Mine were only 5 months old and I put fresh on them. But make sure you give your self time to play them in. Don't put them on the night before.

And as Doc said, use the studio kit if at all possible. It's just easier that way. I'll be using the studio kit next time I go in.
    in this case there is no studio kit ...but i agree

User Info Menu

My kit IS the studio kit, it's the one i'll be using there and it's set up to be recorded. It stays there and never moves, it has a single purpose pretty much and that's why i'm putting money into it. Just needs a little tweaking I guess. What tweaking is what i'm trying to determine.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I understand when you guys say you'll use the studio kits .

big plus on bringing an O ring btw
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

heads russ! ...you need new heads!

User Info Menu

All really good advice given here. And remember that the more you record, the more you'll keep learning. I don't think the learning process ever stops, no matter how long you've been playing. How you interact with the sound engineer and the musicians you work with will also hopefully make it a positive learning experience

newish drum heads

different cymbal setups

a back up snare

big ears
    Bingo! That's exactly what I do too mate. And especially big ears.

Just not THAT big though, lol...
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8