Thread: fixin loose wrap

User Info Menu

Default fixin loose wrap

I have a Pearl Export kit with a kick drum that has a couple good size wrinkles in the wrap, can I possibly use a heat gun to fix this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: fixin loose wrap

No idea but I would check to see if there is a crack in the wrap thats causing it to "bubble".
    You do know that extreme temperatures (Hot or Cold either one) will sometimes cause that wrap to crack and split? -
    Just sayin~!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Heat gun will probably make it worse.

User Info Menu

I just bought this kit about a month ago and it was already like that, but couldn't pass it up, got a great deal on it....just tryin to figure out what, if anything, I can do about it.

User Info Menu

Heat will make it worse. I understand your thinking; use heat to soften it up and flatten it out but, the adhesive is not working any longer so it won't work plus heat will only deform it more.

There isn't much you can do.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

ok, I didn't know if there was anything that would fix it or not.

User Info Menu

Here is a thought; If you have some time, then strip the drum...remove the Lugs and the Tom Mount plate and see what the total condition of the wrap is. Then let us know what you find...some of the guys here are old hands at stripping and replacing the wrap on drums or sanding the base shell and applying a painted finish, etc.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warren wright View Post
    here is a thought; if you have some time, then strip the drum...remove the lugs and the tom mount plate and see what the total condition of the wrap is. Then let us know what you find...some of the guys here are old hands at stripping and replacing the wrap on drums or sanding the base shell and applying a painted finish, etc.
    +1
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

OK, I'll have to do that, but it'll have to wait for now, pretty busy right now and not much spare time :( I appreciate the reply's guys!!!