Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing Rudiments on a Pillow

User Info Menu

Default Doing Rudiments on a Pillow

I have been doing Rudiments on a Pillow throughout the years because I heard it was beneficial to your overall wrist strength. How true do you think this is and how common is this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Doing Rudiments on a Pillow

Can't see the harm in it mate, and hey, it worked for Dave Grohl.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

I think it could build wrist strength but it doesn't really help in any sense of developing rebound control. I'd say you'd be much better practicing on carpet which allows an ever so slight amount of rebound versus the pillow which almost 100% absorbs the entire impact. On almost any drum surface you play on there will always be at least a HINT of rebound (even that 18" floor tom with a super slacked head!) so I prefer to practice on a surface that builds the kind of muscles that you use on a kit than pure wrist strength (which I have no doubt is helpful in one way or another).
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

This was first suggested to me when I was 15 or so, and I didn't take heed until I was around 25. I now try to do it daily.

It is nearly silent and allows you to focus your full attention on grip. It absorbs nearly all impact, thus letting you practice and give your joints a break.

The negative has been mentioned- it doesn't duplicate the same feel as a pad or kit would, mostly by not forcing you to deal with the rebound- but as something to do while the roomate's asleep or while watching TV with others, it is the least disruptive.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Take a pillow and fold it, hold it between you knees. That will give it a little tension (rebound).

I did that as a kid, and did it, though not as often, as I got older.

It will make you use your fingers and wrists.

I was always considered fairly fast, and I owe it to the good old pillow.

User Info Menu

Lafirin,,,,
    2 words for ya,,,,,

DENNIS CHAMBERS!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Lafirin,,,,
    2 words for ya,,,,,

DENNIS CHAMBERS!!!!!!
    Never heard of him..does he sell pillows.!?

Larrysperf Guest

One of the best for practicing all the greats do it. If you are practicing rudiments not to worry yet about rebounds. Nuff said

User Info Menu

Lafirin,,,,
    2 words for ya,,,,,

DENNIS CHAMBERS!!!!!!
    Correct. I saw Dennis in clinic and he said he developed his incredible speed by practicing on a pillow. If I remember correctly he said he also held phone books under his arms so he would be forced to use only his wrists for some exercises. Click the link below and be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkMrEcxQVk
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-28-2012 at 08:40 AM.

User Info Menu

I started lessons a month ago, and using a pillow for rudiments is the first thing the instructor suggested...that, and practicing the rudiments with marching sticks. He also told me never use those sticks on the drum kit lol.

User Info Menu

I sometimes did it on the bed, but never on a pillow. Too soft, not enough rebound to feel similar to a drum's surface. I usually use a book or a table with a towel covering it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Worked for Buddy Rich.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I sometimes did it on the bed, but never on a pillow. Too soft, not enough rebound to feel similar to a drum's surface. I usually use a book or a table with a towel covering it.
    The point of using the pillow is not to have any rebound. Your wrists have to do all the work. A great way to develop lightning speed and control.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your replies everyone, you guys rock!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced for lean View Post
    Lafirin,,,,
    2 words for ya,,,,,

DENNIS CHAMBERS!!!!!!
    Never heard of him..does he sell pillows.!?
    I LOLed!

I might try doing a little more practicing on low-rebound surfaces like a pillow - I could definitley use some more hand speed.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I LOLed!

I might try doing a little more practicing on low-rebound surfaces like a pillow - I could definitley use some more hand speed.
    Couldn't we all......sometimes I think I've hit my "max" speed......some people are just faster than others.....but more practice on a pillow couldn't hurt

User Info Menu

im a connoisseur of the "pillow Kit"

for the snare i prefer a buckwheat pillow, and for the kick, it's got to be a memory foam, i mix the toms up between specialty and decorative pillows for a nice color contrast, all the while im sitting on a pilates ball....and, i cover my cymbals with pillow cases of different colors to complete the perfect accent....

if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Couldn't we all......sometimes I think I've hit my "max" speed......some people are just faster than others.....but more practice on a pillow couldn't hurt
    It's interesting you should mention that - kind of unrelated to this thread, but the neighbor kid kinda irks me. I've been drumming going on 9 years now, and I work at it. This kid started messing around with it a couple of years ago after pulling a kit out of a dumpster and dragging it home, and he's WAY faster than I am. I hear him rehearsing with the band he's been with for a few months (he used to just jam out to recordings) and he's GOOD. Like way better than I was comparitively. Granted, there are things that I can do that he might not be able to do, and I think I'm probably a bit more expresive, but this kid's sheer chops easily blow mine away. And I don't think he practices with a pillow.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

It's interesting you should mention that - kind of unrelated to this thread, but the neighbor kid kinda irks me. I've been drumming going on 9 years now, and I work at it. This kid started messing around with it a couple of years ago after pulling a kit out of a dumpster and dragging it home, and he's WAY faster than I am. I hear him rehearsing with the band he's been with for a few months (he used to just jam out to recordings) and he's GOOD. Like way better than I was comparitively. Granted, there are things that I can do that he might not be able to do, and I think I'm probably a bit more expresive, but this kid's sheer chops easily blow mine away. And I don't think he practices with a pillow.
    ...yep, some people are just born with "it"....I could practice basketball 24/7 and still would not be nearly as good as Michael Jordan. We all are blessed with certain things. The trick (no pun intended) is to find our "gift" and go with it.

User Info Menu

It's interesting that you should mention Michael Jordan though - he got cut from his HS basketball team one year. I'm sure he had "it" but he had yet to develop it and come to a point where he could really do something with it, so he worked his butt off to get better.

Maybe I'm just not working the right stuff - time to get out that pillow!

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread, insightful!

User Info Menu

It's interesting that you should mention Michael Jordan though - he got cut from his HS basketball team one year. I'm sure he had "it" but he had yet to develop it and come to a point where he could really do something with it, so he worked his butt off to get better.

Maybe I'm just not working the right stuff - time to get out that pillow!
    i'm pretty sure michael discovered "pillow training"....
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

I'd rather save mine for sleeping, or muffling the bass drum. Pillows can get expensive when you start beating on them with things and shredding them up.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

As Longgun said, some are just faster than others. By the same token speed and being a good all around drummer, while not mutually exclusive, don't always go hand in hand.

It seems that a lot of the younger drummers (I DON'T MEAN ALL) get caught up in the Roddy-Kolias speed thing, and that is what they work on. Are they fast, yes, are they good, no.

I see it around here all the time. One trick ponies, take them out of their element and they s***.

I have a young friend who is a pretty good drummer (he's 22 and been playing 6-7 years) he's fast, into the metal stuff. He is a nice guy, a little ****y once in a while, but a lot of musicians are like that.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I went there and brought Dave Brubeks "Time Further Out" CD. I put on Maori Blues and said listen to the drumming in this and then try to play with it. He listened and told me that there was no way he could play with that kind of independence.

I told him, "therein lies the rub".

I think you get my drift.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    As Longgun said, some are just faster than others. By the same token speed and being a good all around drummer, while not mutually exclusive, don't always go hand in hand.

It seems that a lot of the younger drummers (I DON'T MEAN ALL) get caught up in the Roddy-Kolias speed thing, and that is what they work on. Are they fast, yes, are they good, no.

I see it around here all the time. One trick ponies, take them out of their element and they s***.

I have a young friend who is a pretty good drummer (he's 22 and been playing 6-7 years) he's fast, into the metal stuff. He is a nice guy, a little ****y once in a while, but a lot of musicians are like that.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I went there and brought Dave Brubeks "Time Further Out" CD. I put on Maori Blues and said listen to the drumming in this and then try to play with it. He listened and told me that there was no way he could play with that kind of independence.

I told him, "therein lies the rub".

I think you get my drift.
    I agree, Ive seen plenty of super fast guys, ask them to play a simple groove and they are lost. The other thing Ive found is that speed covers a lot of mistakes. You slow down some of these speed guys recordings and you find missed beats, inconsitant meters, ect.